Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holloway doesn't know.

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
Genuine question - is the rivalry reciprocated as ferociously by Palace fans, given their proximity to other London clubs?

To be honest, I'm not sure it is. Ive been supporting Brighton for some 35 years and I've witnessed several Palace matches, both home and away, and I'm convinced that we make more of the rivalry than they do. To the point where is almost smacks of desperation and becomes a bit embarrassing. I seem to recall that only a couple of seasons ago, some Palace fans appeared bemused by our apparent hatred of them, and suggested things like "who the f*** are Brighton". Certainly, in more recent years I've particularly enjoyed the rivalry with Southampton. I realise that Palace are geographically our nearest team, Creepy Crawley aside, but we're by no means Palace's local team and I sometimes feels we come across as the annoying younger brother who keeps following their old brother around, not realising they want to play with their own cool friends. Having said all that, I really want a Brighton win tomorrow !

D

Deleted member 2719

Liverpool - Man Utd = 33 Miles
Cardiff - Swansea = 41 Miles
Brighton - Palace = 42 Miles
Ipswich - Norwich = 43 Miles
Valencia - Madrid = 220 Miles

What the f*** does geography have to do with anything?

Nicely put sir.:thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With all due respect (i.e. with no respect whatsoever) if you didn't know about the Palace V Brighton rivalry, you probably don't have a very deep knowledge of the game.

Yes the Palace hatred is reciprocated.

Poojah wrote "Dear Players of Grimsby Town" on a Grimsby Town football forum which was picked up by numerous other football forums/message boards including NSC of a fans eye view of his club going down the shitter.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
To be honest, I'm not sure it is. Ive been supporting Brighton for some 35 years and I've witnessed several Palace matches, both home and away, and I'm convinced that we make more of the rivalry than they do. To the point where is almost smacks of desperation and becomes a bit embarrassing. I seem to recall that only a couple of seasons ago, some Palace fans appeared bemused by our apparent hatred of them, and suggested things like "who the f*** are Brighton". Certainly, in more recent years I've particularly enjoyed the rivalry with Southampton. I realise that Palace are geographically our nearest team, Creepy Crawley aside, but we're by no means Palace's local team and I sometimes feels we come across as the annoying younger brother who keeps following their old brother around, not realising they want to play with their own cool friends. Having said all that, I really want a Brighton win tomorrow !

Have you sold your soul?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Bollocks they hate us

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Disagree. I've had a season ticket at Grimsby for 21 of my 27 years on this planet, and have watched us play in each of this country's top five divisions with the unfortunate exception of the top flight. Off the top of my head, I know that you were unlucky not to win the FA Cup in 1983, that you got shat on by your former owners over the Goldstone, that Withdean was a bit of a dump but somehow charming in its own way (I've been there twice), that Bobby Zamora's a bit of a legend and that Michel Kuipers played in goal for you for a long time.

I know that former Grimsby manager Russell Slade saved you from relegation but got the sack shortly after, that Wayne Henderson once got lobbed from the half-way line (while on loan from Aston Villa?), that you're quite fond of Charlie Oatway, and that you got relegated at Blundell Park in 2003 after our on-loan midfielder Michael Keane scored and celebrated like a prick in front of the away end.

There might be a couple of inaccuracies in there, but my point is that my general knowledge of the game is not all that bad and yet I wasn't particularly aware of your rivalry with Palace. Maybe it's a Northern thing.

Hey diddle-diddle, there's a fella in the middle and I think he's pulling my string
My wife's lactating and I'm spectating
It's a football thing

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove

Bullshit. They hate us as much as we hate them.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
The rivalry is even mentioned on fifa13 when Brighton and palace play each other.

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
Bollocks they hate us

I'm really not sure they do. I think that it's a rivalry that we manufactured over an episode that took place 30 years ago that they had no doubt long forgotten about, or weren't even aware of in the first place. When I first watched Brighton, we weren't rivals in any way. Portsmouth was always the big south coast derby for us. The rivalry with Palace just seems a tenuous and desperate to me, but I guess I'm on my own.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
I'm really not sure they do. I think that it's a rivalry that we manufactured over an episode that took place 30 years ago that they had no doubt long forgotten about, or weren't even aware of in the first place. When I first watched Brighton, we weren't rivals in any way. Portsmouth was always the big south coast derby for us. The rivalry with Palace just seems a tenuous and desperate to me, but I guess I'm on my own.

You are mate! For most Palace fans, Brighton will always be the true enemy. Yes, we have no love loss for Millwall and Charlton but you will always be 'the one' :thumbsup:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
You are mate! For most Palace fans, Brighton will always be the true enemy. Yes, we have no love loss for Millwall and Charlton but you will always be 'the one'

Thank god for that. i get the distinct impression on here that we are absolutely desperate for someone to hate us !

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath

I considered giving a well structured response. I then decided that you either a wind up merchant or a f***ing idiot.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Disagree. I've had a season ticket at Grimsby for 21 of my 27 years on this planet, and have watched us play in each of this country's top five divisions with the unfortunate exception of the top flight. Off the top of my head, I know that you were unlucky not to win the FA Cup in 1983, that you got shat on by your former owners over the Goldstone, that Withdean was a bit of a dump but somehow charming in its own way (I've been there twice), that Bobby Zamora's a bit of a legend and that Michel Kuipers played in goal for you for a long time.

I know that former Grimsby manager Russell Slade saved you from relegation but got the sack shortly after, that Wayne Henderson once got lobbed from the half-way line (while on loan from Aston Villa?), that you're quite fond of Charlie Oatway, and that you got relegated at Blundell Park in 2003 after our on-loan midfielder Michael Keane scored and celebrated like a prick in front of the away end.

There might be a couple of inaccuracies in there, but my point is that my general knowledge of the game is not all that bad and yet I wasn't particularly aware of your rivalry with Palace. Maybe it's a Northern thing.
Blundell Park, black and white stripes, Alan Buckley, rivalry with Hull (or more realistically Lincoln) you wank over our cod....we can all play that game, and my point remains that Brighton V Palace is a fierce rivalry. How old are you by the way, as it could explain your ignorance in all things (S)Eagulls?

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
You are mate! For most Palace fans, Brighton will always be the true enemy. Yes, we have no love loss for Millwall and Charlton but you will always be 'the one' :thumbsup:

That's a relief to hear in some way as I've been getting a bit embarrassed by all the kids coming on hear creaming their boxers in anticipation for tomorrow's showdown.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here