Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holloway doesn't know.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
ALL rivalries started in the late seventies, before that we had derbies but the fan hatred started first and as a result the media have made it so the teams have to be part of it.

Only some managers get it and only then do some managers tap in to it to try to get an edge. I think it can backfire on the team if it goes wrong. I think last season at the Amex that happened especially with Murray scoring

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Disagree. I've had a season ticket at Grimsby for 21 of my 27 years on this planet, and have watched us play in each of this country's top five divisions with the unfortunate exception of the top flight. Off the top of my head, I know that you were unlucky not to win the FA Cup in 1983, that you got shat on by your former owners over the Goldstone, that Withdean was a bit of a dump but somehow charming in its own way (I've been there twice), that Bobby Zamora's a bit of a legend and that Michel Kuipers played in goal for you for a long time.

I know that former Grimsby manager Russell Slade saved you from relegation but got the sack shortly after, that Wayne Henderson once got lobbed from the half-way line (while on loan from Aston Villa?), that you're quite fond of Charlie Oatway, and that you got relegated at Blundell Park in 2003 after our on-loan midfielder Michael Keane scored and celebrated like a prick in front of the away end.

There might be a couple of inaccuracies in there, but my point is that my general knowledge of the game is not all that bad and yet I wasn't particularly aware of your rivalry with Palace. Maybe it's a Northern thing.

f***ing hell mate you know more about the Albion than most of our JCL fans!

Mind you. You still point at aeroplanes in your yard so I'll forgive you for some knowledge gaps.

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
Sitting in the Arthur Wait Stand with a handful of other Albion fans, wearing the blue and white stripes, in the midst of a couple of thousand Norwich City supporters, to promote the second REMF game back in 2002, and experiencing the whole of the Holmesdale end hurling their colourful abuse at just us, it seemed to those of us who were there that Palace take the rivalry as seriously as we do. The Norwich fans, on the other hand, were just baffled by it.

Even better was the pre-match drinking with the Seagulleater and his chums in the Woolpack (their pub of choice at the time). I think there were seven of us in there, doing nothing more hostile than playing Cluedo, but the police found out - and sent a whole minibus full of the Met's finest to keep a watch on us.

In fact a very nice young man from the MET came and asked if we knew that we were a "bit unpopular" whilst sitting in the AW.. They don't like us much..

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm really not sure they do. I think that it's a rivalry that we manufactured over an episode that took place 30 years ago that they had no doubt long forgotten about, or weren't even aware of in the first place. When I first watched Brighton, we weren't rivals in any way. Portsmouth was always the big south coast derby for us. The rivalry with Palace just seems a tenuous and desperate to me, but I guess I'm on my own.

Blatant JCL.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Cheers. Was honestly a bit unexpected and embarrassing at the time, amazing that people still remember several years on.

To be honest with you mate, I don't have a problem with your questioning the rivalry. As someone rightly pointed out however, the geography means very little. Same distance as Norwich v Ipswich yet everyone knows that one. We are pretty isolated down on the coast and there is genuine reason for rivalry between the clubs, which didn't start with but kind of exploded with Venables and Mullery. It's good to have a rival, when in the same division it gives two great away days per season. And it hurts to lose, more than any other game, it bloody hurts. To be honest I wouldn't know Grimsby's rivals and you'd have every right to call me clueless about football as some of the knuckle draggers on here accuse you of. You come across as an intelligent football man, so keep asking the questions.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Oh, they do. the media often refers to it.

Yep I remember watching Saint and Greives as a boy and they had J.Charlton on who was on board of Man U at the time and he was quized about how many time Manure changed their kits in a season, he replied "I think the blue and white one in the fa cup final against Palace was to scare them into thinking we were Brighton" I was so proud

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Yep I remember watching Saint and Greives as a boy and they had J.Charlton on who was on board of Man U at the time and he was quized about how many time Manure changed their kits in a season, he replied "I think the blue and white one in the fa cup final against Palace was to scare them into thinking we were Brighton" I was so proud

Proud of what?

United wore white and red in the Final

qFU7E.jpg

And red and white in the replay.

TqbBV.png

Sorry to spoil your fairy tale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here