Holloway doesn't know.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
From the BBC:
New Crystal Palace boss Ian Holloway admits he is baffled by the rivalry between the Eagles and Brighton.

"It's not one the rest of football knows about. Even the geography doesn't really make sense," he said.

"It's a bit weird but whatever fans think, you have to appreciate that and give a performance the fans are proud of. I've got no doubts we can do that."

Will he find out tomorrow?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
This pleases me greatly. Last season, I do not think Gus got the rivalry whereas they had Dougie Freedman who knows what this game means to both sets of fans...Hence they came out on top in the match-ups. At the end of the campaign Poyet stated how happy he was for us to finish above Palace for the first time in years so it is clear he eventually grasped it.

Now, it is the other way around with Holloway not really understanding what it is all about and I am hoping this can work to our advantage.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I don't even believe Gus really knows either.

The fans do, but then again we are the only constant everything else moves on.

Tbf Gus didn't have a clue last season, it was all about Southampton for him as I recall.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Gus said in his prematch interview, he doesn't know the reasons why we are rivals. But it seems like we're taking it seriously, without concentrating too much on just one match, which is what you'd hope for really.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Gus doesn't know , he said as much in his interview . Bit Shit really when it matters so much to fans and whilst it isn't rangers Celtic I'm pretty sure football does know about it . Also to add it is geography to us the bell end

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Gus is from Montevideo,if a bloke from Bristol don't know then what chance has Gus

cristals are scum always will be

if we lose tomorrow it doesn't matter

f*** me it will hurt,but I'm Brighton til the day I die

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As others have said, Poyet didn't get it last season. But someone put it in real terms to him before the game at Selhurst, someone told him the way he feels about Southampton is the way Brighton fans feel about Crystal Palace. I think the penny dropped. Tomorrow will hopefully be us at our best, Hammond should show up for a start.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As others have said, Poyet didn't get it last season. But someone put it in real terms to him before the game at Selhurst, someone told him the way he feels about Southampton is the way Brighton fans feel about Crystal Palace. I think the penny dropped. Tomorrow will hopefully be us at our best, Hammond should show up for a start.

As he has done to great effect in the recent games

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
From the BBC:
New Crystal Palace boss Ian Holloway admits he is baffled by the rivalry between the Eagles and Brighton.

"It's not one the rest of football knows about. Even the geography doesn't really make sense," he said.

"It's a bit weird but whatever fans think, you have to appreciate that and give a performance the fans are proud of. I've got no doubts we can do that."

Will he find out tomorrow?

Oh, they do. the media often refers to it.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
As a non-Brighton fan who ocassionally reads this forum, I'd say Holloway has a point. I'd certainly never heard of the rivalry between Brighton and Crystal Palace prior to having been on here.

Whether or not you have a full appreciation of the history between two clubs, geography is normally a good indicator of rivalry. Now I know there's only actually 40 or so miles between Brighton and Croydon; it just doesn't scream at at you on a map. I think there's just an assumption that it would be Portsmouth and Southampton given their location on the South coast, even though both are actually further away.

Genuine question - is the rivalry reciprocated as ferociously by Palace fans, given their proximity to other London clubs?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
As a non-Brighton fan who ocassionally reads this forum, I'd say Holloway has a point. I'd certainly never heard of the rivalry between Brighton and Crystal Palace prior to having been on here.

Whether or not you have a full appreciation of the history between two clubs, geography is normally a good indicator of rivalry. Now I know there's only actually 40 or so miles between Brighton and Croydon; it just doesn't scream at at you on a map. I think there's just an assumption that it would be Portsmouth and Southampton given their location on the South coast, even though both are actually further away.

Genuine question - is the rivalry reciprocated as ferociously by Palace fans, given their proximity to other London clubs?

Completely. They are not keen on Millwall but we are the team they love to beat the most

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012

With all due respect (i.e. with no respect whatsoever) if you didn't know about the Palace V Brighton rivalry, you probably don't have a very deep knowledge of the game.

Yes the Palace hatred is reciprocated.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Liverpool - Man Utd = 33 Miles
Cardiff - Swansea = 41 Miles
Brighton - Palace = 42 Miles
Ipswich - Norwich = 43 Miles
Valencia - Madrid = 220 Miles

What the f*** does geography have to do with anything?

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Gus is from Montevideo,if a bloke from Bristol don't know then what chance has Gus

cristals are scum always will be

if we lose tomorrow it doesn't matter

f*** me it will hurt,but I'm Brighton til the day I die

Good post and i totally agree,if there was a like button i would have clicked on it.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
With all due respect (i.e. with no respect whatsoever) if you didn't know about the Palace V Brighton rivalry, you probably don't have a very deep knowledge of the game.

Yes the Palace hatred is reciprocated.

Disagree. I've had a season ticket at Grimsby for 21 of my 27 years on this planet, and have watched us play in each of this country's top five divisions with the unfortunate exception of the top flight. Off the top of my head, I know that you were unlucky not to win the FA Cup in 1983, that you got shat on by your former owners over the Goldstone, that Withdean was a bit of a dump but somehow charming in its own way (I've been there twice), that Bobby Zamora's a bit of a legend and that Michel Kuipers played in goal for you for a long time.

I know that former Grimsby manager Russell Slade saved you from relegation but got the sack shortly after, that Wayne Henderson once got lobbed from the half-way line (while on loan from Aston Villa?), that you're quite fond of Charlie Oatway, and that you got relegated at Blundell Park in 2003 after our on-loan midfielder Michael Keane scored and celebrated like a prick in front of the away end.

There might be a couple of inaccuracies in there, but my point is that my general knowledge of the game is not all that bad and yet I wasn't particularly aware of your rivalry with Palace. Maybe it's a Northern thing.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
:thumbsup:
Disagree. I've had a season ticket at Grimsby for 21 of my 27 years on this planet, and have watched us play in each of this country's top five divisions with the unfortunate exception of the top flight. Off the top of my head, I know that you were unlucky not to win the FA Cup in 1983, that you got shat on by your former owners over the Goldstone, that Withdean was a bit of a dump but somehow charming in its own way (I've been there twice), that Bobby Zamora's a bit of a legend and that Michel Kuipers played in goal for you for a long time.

I know that former Grimsby manager Russell Slade saved you from relegation but got the sack shortly after, that Wayne Henderson once got lobbed from the half-way line (while on loan from Aston Villa?), that you're quite fond of Charlie Oatway, and that you got relegated at Blundell Park in 2003 after our on-loan midfielder Michael Keane scored and celebrated like a prick in front of the away end.

There might be a couple of inaccuracies in there, but my point is that my general knowledge of the game is not all that bad and yet I wasn't particularly aware of your rivalry with Palace. Maybe it's a Northern thing.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports