Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just seeing the number of tourists now cutting their holidays short, to join the scramble for flights back from Portugal at ever-inflating prices to beat Tuesdays quarantine deadline. I do feel sorry for people who went ahead and booked, but you had to be utterly bonkers IMO. There was always every chance you'd end up getting shafted by this government, which changes policy on the hoof and at the drop of a hat.

The prospect of potentially spending 10 days holed up at a dreary hotel just outside Crawley at a personal cost of £1,750 was easily enough for me to put the passport away for the forseeable.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Doing a UK cruise from Southampton up to Belfast, then up to Scotland and back down to Torbay and Dorset. Not my usual Mediterranean cruise, but just need a break. All inclusive, drinks and entertainment, bliss! Of course if it rains every day, it won’t be so good!

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
After so many cancellations for us last year, followed by the (successful) palaver of recovering the cost of flights and European train fares, lesson finally learnt, I’m currently just spinning one holidays plate - being Virgin NYC flights for this July. The hotel is easily cancellable on booking.com at no loss of money. Almost certainly not happening :(

I’m in no rush to book other holidays or flights.

Simon Calder has advised for months now, to not commit, instead being flexible about destinations, booking late if and when both countries give the green light.

We’re hoping to get away somewhere in mid August,

Just put a refund request in with easyjet. Had enough of the goalposts being moved time and time again. Could of changed the flights for next year but those flights price are through the roof. They wanted an extra £470 to change to next July.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why on earth would anybody put themselves through that level of expensive bolleaux at this time? You'd spend more on covid tests than you would on food and drink. A foreign holiday is a first world non-essential triviality. Maybe just save it for another day?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Doing a UK cruise from Southampton up to Belfast, then up to Scotland and back down to Torbay and Dorset. Not my usual Mediterranean cruise, but just need a break. All inclusive, drinks and entertainment, bliss! Of course if it rains every day, it won’t be so good!

We're doing a cruise similar to that in September with Rustie Lee.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just put a refund request in with easyjet. Had enough of the goalposts being moved time and time again. Could of changed the flights for next year but those flights price are through the roof. They wanted an extra £470 to change to next July.

In a world where only bad news or shysters are reported ... some good news, I find that Easyjet refunds hit the bank a couple of days later. Similarly with compensation for cancelled flights. A very slick system.

Another reason for me not to use Ryanair.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Interesting.

We're looking at one from Southampton - Portland - Liverpool - Glasgow - Belfast - Southampton in late June.

I have zero experience of this sort of thing - would it be OK or some form of glorified booze cruise?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Interesting.

We're looking at one from Southampton - Portland - Liverpool - Glasgow - Belfast - Southampton in late June.

I have zero experience of this sort of thing - would it be OK or some form of glorified booze cruise?

I've got no direct experience of these round UK cruises but have done 5 or 6 in Med and Caribbean. I thought the UK ones might be a bit of fun/interesting but was put off by the fact they all seemed to be offering free booze. Could be wrong but I can see the headlines now

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Strong rumours that in the next round of changes amber listed countries won't require quarantine on return if you have had both jabs

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've got no direct experience of these round UK cruises but have done 5 or 6 in Med and Caribbean. I thought the UK ones might be a bit of fun/interesting but was put off by the fact they all seemed to be offering free booze. Could be wrong but I can see the headlines now

Yep a mega booze cruise that will make the cross channel ferry mini trips of yesteryear look tame

Don’t forget to pack your Union Jack shorts

Franky Small

Nov 29, 2020
UK
After so many cancellations for us last year, followed by the (successful) palaver of recovering the cost of flights and European train fares, lesson finally learnt, I’m currently just spinning one holidays plate - being Virgin NYC flights for this July. The hotel is easily cancellable on booking.com at no loss of money. Almost certainly not happening :(
I’m in no rush to book it.
Simon Calder has advised for months now, to not commit, instead being flexible about destinations, booking late if and when both countries give the green light.

We’re hoping to get away somewhere in mid August,

Early this year I hoped that in 2021 I would be able to go at least somewhere but again because of pandemic and new versions of Covid I guess that 2021 in terms of travelling will also be a failure :eek:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Early this year I hoped that in 2021 I would be able to go at least somewhere but again because of pandemic and new versions of Covid I guess that 2021 in terms of travelling will also be a failure :eek:

I’m hoping the green list is expanded tomorrow. You never know.

Across the US and parts of the EU now, tourism/theatres have already opened up. An excellent article in the Telegraph covering this a few days ago. Often in nations/regions with still worse covid metrics than us, certainly behind us in their vax programmes.

It appears than all 4 governments of the UK are seeking Covid absolutism.

Whilst the following nations now take a pragmatic approach, despite having far higher case rates than eg Austria/Germany - Holland, France, Belgium, Spain and Greece.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Across the US and parts of the EU now, tourism/theatres have already opened up. An excellent article in the Telegraph covering this a few days ago. Often in nations/regions with still worse covid metrics than us, certainly behind us in their vax programmes.

Whilst the following nations now take a pragmatic approach, despite having far higher case rates than eg Austria/Germany - Holland, France, Belgium, Spain and Greece.

Same here on green list, will know tomorrow whether original holiday deferred from last year is going ahead.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If amber countries can be treated as green for the double-jabbed, I'm off on me hols. Been waiting long enough. Is it necessary ? Of course not - but going to go anyway.

If I can't get abroad I'm currently limited to 3 days in Margate (going to the Open for a day, so extended the trip a bit), 4 days in Edinburgh (seeing daughter, not done so for 18 months) and 5 days in Shropshire (6 couples in a youth hostel)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If amber countries can be treated as green for the double-jabbed, I'm off on me hols. Been waiting long enough. Is it necessary ? Of course not - but going to go anyway.

If I can't get abroad I'm currently limited to 3 days in Margate (going to the Open for a day, so extended the trip a bit), 4 days in Edinburgh (seeing daughter, not done so for 18 months) and 5 days in Shropshire (6 couples in a youth hostel)

You think that may happen? As we’ll all be double jabbed by end of Aug when we’re meant to be going to France… Anyone heard any rumours of the likes of France being moved to Green tomo?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Double-vax’d and wfh, I’d definitely consider amber countries.

But Calder and others always have two warnings about doing that - you could well get stranded for a long time if flights are pulled or it becomes red, also travel insurance covid issues.

Additional issues for us are that my 18 year old hasn’t been vax’d yet, also Mrs.W finds any reason to fret about travel at the best of times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You think that may happen? As we’ll all be double jabbed by end of Aug when we’re meant to be going to France… Anyone heard any rumours of the likes of France being moved to Green tomo?

It’s apparently on the table to potentially be announced very soon. If it is, I’d take the risk of travelling - I know people who are in Portugal and Spain (for example) now and once you’re there things are almost normal in the resorts (albeit very quiet in some obviously). If the rules changed whilst we were away and we had to isolate on return it wouldn’t be a big deal.

I can’t see France going green tomorrow, not far enough ahead with their vacc programme.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Headline From the DT

Force British travellers to quarantine, Angela Merkel urges European countries
German chancellor's appeal comes amid growing concern in Europe over the spread of the delta Covid variant

Can’t give u anymore as it’s behind a paywall….and it is a newspaper so who knows how much truth

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s apparently on the table to potentially be announced very soon. If it is, I’d take the risk of travelling - I know people who are in Portugal and Spain (for example) now and once you’re there things are almost normal in the resorts (albeit very quiet in some obviously). If the rules changed whilst we were away and we had to isolate on return it wouldn’t be a big deal.

I can’t see France going green tomorrow, not far enough ahead with their vacc programme.

I got 2 months so fingers crossed pal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here