Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hippodrome open. Two days only.

Jul 7, 2003
When we visited yesterday, my wife overheard a lady telling a story of when she was in one of the boxes when the Beatles played and how she jumped from the box onto the stage.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It would make a great bingo hall.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My mum was there in 1963 to see the Beatles. She was always going on about it, but it took her decades to add the interesting bit: Supporting the great Roy Orbison!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Popped in yesterday and it was magnificent. We really have to get it back into use ASAP, and I bumped into one of NSC's finest on the way in :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I saw the Beatles, Nat Jackley and Jimmy Clitheroe, Frankie Vaughan, Jimmy Edwards, etc etc
The pantos were brilliant every January.
Is it an old myth they came by helicopter ?

Mum said it was pointless being there as you couldn't hear them for the screaming.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it an old myth they came by helicopter ?

Mum said it was pointless being there as you couldn't hear them for the screaming.
Yes. They were chauffeured in two cars, as I saw them arrive.
They weren’t even top of the bill, which was Roy Orbison.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They had a petition that everyone was signing. This is probably it - please sign it!

Done

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I saw the Beatles there. I emphasise "saw" as I couldn't hear a thing because of all the screaming.
My mum's memory of seeing the Beatles is the same - just a load of girls screaming

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Had a look at the Council's planning register for it and fair to say it seems they have a long way to resolve concerns from Historic England, National Highways, local Highways etc etc etc

Given the state of the building I think the Council should just let them get on with it TBH.
Are the present owners happy to restore to a theatre or are they still insisting on a multi cinema

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are the present owners happy to restore to a theatre or are they still insisting on a multi cinema

It's a beautiful building, so it should be seen - a cinema is the last thing it should be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here