Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hippodrome open. Two days only.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
I saw the Beatles there. I emphasise "saw" as I couldn't hear a thing because of all the screaming.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks for this. Brighton Born and Bred, I've always wanted to see inside there and never have in 60+ years. I'll be popping in today :thumbsup:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Really is an absolutely stunning space. Badly need that planning permission to go through. Understand that with a listed heritage building it'll be a slow process, but the alternative is not having it preserved at all!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Last time I went there, some woman was using an angle grinder on her metal pants, she wasn't wearing a hard hat which was a little careless I thought.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's being restored - it's miles away from having been restored.

I spoke to some of the people in charge there - they are waiting on planning permission for the restoration to be finalised. The application has been in for over 18 months, and they shrugged and laughed when I asked them how much longer they think it will take.

They also intimated that other venues may be scared of potential competition, which may be hindering the process.

They had a petition that everyone was signing. This is probably it - please sign it!

What is it with Brighton planning that would rather watch pieces of history crumble than support groups who want to bring it back to life.

Jul 7, 2003
I went in to visit this morning. It is a beautiful old venue and you can imagine what it was like in its prime. They seem to have saved a fair amount of the old decorative work but you can also see that it will take a lot more time and money to bring it back into use.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Can't get to see if unfortunately (currently post op) but do hope they finish it soon. I miss so many small venues in Brighton nowadays - Freebutt, Pressure Point, Ocean Rooms, (?). Hanbury Ballroom was my favourite for Americana gigs (Guilded Palace of Sin were superb local promoters), it's still open but doesn't seem to do live gigs. It would be great if the Hippodrome could be added again as a gig venue, although it is in a very residential area (imagine noise complaint could be an issue?).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Can't get to see if unfortunately (currently post op) but do hope they finish it soon. I miss so many small venues in Brighton nowadays - Freebutt, Pressure Point, Ocean Rooms, (?). Hanbury Ballroom was my favourite for Americana gigs (Guilded Palace of Sin were superb local promoters), it's still open but doesn't seem to do live gigs. It would be great if the Hippodrome could be added again as a gig venue, although it is in a very residential area (imagine noise complaint could be an issue?).
Some great venues listed there. I saw Sean from Gilded Palace on Sunday at a memorial/celebration for a dear friend of ours. Sadly he is out of the music business entirely now but some absolute belting gigs at the Hanbury, Albert and Sussex Arts Club. Midlake at The Hanbury being one of my all time fave gigs in Brighton .

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
It's being restored - it's miles away from having been restored.

I spoke to some of the people in charge there - they are waiting on planning permission for the restoration to be finalised. The application has been in for over 18 months, and they shrugged and laughed when I asked them how much longer they think it will take.

They also intimated that other venues may be scared of potential competition, which may be hindering the process.

They had a petition that everyone was signing. This is probably it - please sign it!

Singed

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Some great venues listed there. I saw Sean from Gilded Palace on Sunday at a memorial/celebration for a dear friend of ours. Sadly he is out of the music business entirely now but some absolute belting gigs at the Hanbury, Albert and Sussex Arts Club. Midlake at The Hanbury being one of my all time fave gigs in Brighton .
That chap (and his mate who I think worked in the old Rounders in The Lanes? not good with names but remember their faces) : both local legends imo, loved the stuff they put on. Feel so lucky to have lived through it. Saw Midlake twice at Hanbury Ballroom supporting Richmond Fontaine and then "headlining". Always such great bands, coheadlining or supporting however you want to call it when put on by GPoS. If he's no longer in the music business then that is a loss, guess there wasn't much money in it and love can only carry you so far. What a legacy though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That chap (and his mate who I think worked in the old Rounders in The Lanes? not good with names but remember their faces) : both local legends imo, loved the stuff they put on. Feel so lucky to have lived through it. Saw Midlake twice at Hanbury Ballroom supporting Richmond Fontaine and then "headlining". Always such great bands, coheadlining or supporting however you want to call it when put on by GPoS. If he's no longer in the music business then that is a loss, guess there wasn't much money in it and love can only carry you so far. What a legacy though.
Absolutely, you are thinking of Dave his partner in crime. Couldn't agree more with your sentiments, it was a great time for the Brighton music scene. GPoS were just one of those promoters. that you just trusted even if you were not aware of the artist. Good times

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Had a look at the Council's planning register for it and fair to say it seems they have a long way to resolve concerns from Historic England, National Highways, local Highways etc etc etc

Given the state of the building I think the Council should just let them get on with it TBH.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Went there this morning with the better half. They had boards up explaining the history. Originally a mixture of houses, then an ice rink, converted in 1901, closed the next year, last gig in the mid 1960’s, it seemed most successful as a bingo hall! Quite a history of failed ownership.

My wife remembers the venue well, her Dad took her to see Dusty Springfield, and she remembers her Aunts going to the bingo. She was quite emotional.

A long way to go until it’s functional.

IMG_2579.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2580.jpeg
    IMG_2580.jpeg
    628.4 KB · Views: 38

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Had a look at the Council's planning register for it and fair to say it seems they have a long way to resolve concerns from Historic England, National Highways, local Highways etc etc etc

Given the state of the building I think the Council should just let them get on with it TBH.
Hopefully won't succumb to a Mystery Fire before the various talking shops finally run out of words

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
As a youngster saw my dad on stage in 'Carrol Levis Discoveries' (a precursor to BGT/X factor etc.) He came second for the week. Later saw the Rolling Stones, Tom Jones and also Morecombe and Wise. Lots of memories.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Worked there for a while calling bingo and 100% the place is haunted 👻 at the stage end of the hall to the side there are a ser of steps that go up 7 floors in each of the rooms on the way up it's like a time capsule of unwanted stored stuff from each decade going back at least 70 years from what I could tell,the first time I went up there you start climbing the concrete steps it instantly gets colder and the air seems to be harder to breathe,I felt like I was being watched and eventually it was too much and I bottled the last 2 floors,just as well,the next time I went up there I went with a couple of pals and they both felt the same sort of feeling,we got to the 6th floor and the main room was chokka with Mannequins,some covered in sheets Casper style.

I worked there overnight once on my todd putting up Christmas decorations I lasted until 3am,I've no idea what I saw but it was enough to leave and I've not been inside the place since 1999.

You couldn't pay me to go back in there 😁.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
It was a wonderful theatre. In the 50’s my Mum and Dad took me almost weekly for the variety shows which changed weekly.
Then there were the summer specials which usually ran the whole of August. I remember seeing Max Bygraves, Frankie Vaughan, Tommy Cooper, Educating Archie, (I still have the mini Roland Chesney Talking Harmonica), the musical Carousel with Edmund Hockeridge and as a very young boy my first view of women’s breasts with the Folies Bergere.
Plus loads of pantomimes. Never forget the giant in Jack and the Beanstalk. Frightened the life out of me.
Lived in Hangleton those days so we caught the 5 or 5b home and always Sydney Sharpe the conductor of the pit orchestra caught the same bus as he lived up near the Grenadier. He was stilled dressed in his tuxedo with a briefcase presumably in which he had the musical scores.
Never went there for pop stuff such as the Beatles.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here