Hillsborough

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Just been watching Football Focus with a documentary on the Hillsborough tragedy.

We all get so caught up in a relegation battle but watching this really put it into perspective for me. I presume there will be a minutes silence today?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It was a very moving piece, let's hope nothing like it ever happens again. Didn't Eddie Spearitt lose a daughter there?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
When you think about life and the importance of things whether we stay up or go down is a ball of fluff in your navel.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hillsborough_disaster_Sun.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think Steven Gerrard lost a cousin in the tragedy. Warnock (ex-Liverpool, currently Blackburn) laid a wreath in front of the Kop. Can't believe it was 20 years ago! I was a very shocked little 8 year old at the time.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
But why did Des Lynham have to have a sly dig at Brighton? Surely one of the things Des should believe in is the value of supporting your local club.

If I heard what he said correctly then......wanker.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That was a very moving tribute on Football Focus. Well done to the BBC and all involved :clap:

Second that, I thought the BBC did an excellent job in reminding us of those terrible events, that even those who saw the pictures on the TV will never forget...goodness only knows what it is like for those directly involved.

I will be leaving shortly to head off to a football match and hope to be able to return home for my tea afterwards, for far too many people that didn't happen almost twenty years ago...most football fans are just ordinary people leading ordinary lives, looking forward to getting their fix each weekend, at least they are able to do it today with a greater degree of safety than before the horror of Hillsborough.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I think he said "I don't go and watch Brighton I go to Premeiership football where the pace and the finesse is amazing".

Or something like that. (I think. To tell the truth I was only 3/4 listening)

Why did he have to say that.. it wasn't live. It seemed an unnecessary comment.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think he said "I don't go and watch Brighton I go to Premeiership football where the pace and the finesse is amazing".

If that is what he said, I'd agree it seems completely unnecessary and makes him a prick.

Totally wrong, you misheard Des completley

He said "When I don't go and watch Brighton I go and watch Premiership football where the pace and the finesse is amazing"

Said nout bad about Brighton.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007

He said "When I don't go and watch Brighton I go and watch Premiership football where the pace and the finesse is amazing"

Ah, If that's what he said then...Sausage is a wanker.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I doubt he ever would ....Albion through and through the man.

I agree with most of the sentiments on this thread football comes second to human tragedy

I will be leaving shortly to head off to a football match and hope to be able to return home for my tea afterwards, for far too many people that didn't happen almost twenty years ago...most football fans are just ordinary people leading ordinary lives, looking forward to getting their fix each weekend, at least they are able to do it today with a greater degree of safety than before the horror of Hillsborough.

I almost agree with these sentiments, and indeed I want to, but I can't. Hillsborough happened, not because of the design of the stadium, but because of the huge number of Liverpool fans that turned up without a ticket trying to blag their way in. Yes the police made mistakes, and once these fans were inside it was carnage, BUT if they hadn't been there in the first place it would never have happened.

Of course people dying is tragic, especially as the likelihood is that the people who dies were people with tickets who got into the ground early (as they were nearest the fences) but until the Liverpool fans actually admit that they contributed enormously to these events, rather than revel in their tragic self pitying way in sad nostalgia, then I don't have the degree of sadness that many here seem to be displaying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports