Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help Chris Hughton : Who would you sell and sign?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still the best CB we have, by a long way.......used as a scapegoat in recent months......let's not forget that without his goals we would probably be down.

Don't disagree (and sad indictment on our strikers that is !) but there is a world of difference between Champs and Prem - the sort of mistakes he is prone to make leaves me to think for now he'd be horribly exposed in the prem and they wouldn't be tolerated for long

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Luisma Villa - Spanish winger/attacking midfielder who has just clinched the Confrence title with Barnet. 25 years old, he got 13 goals in the league last season. Reached the Segunda División play--offs twice whilst playing in Spain. Somewhere between 100k and 250k would clinch him. Worth a punt IMO.

Chris Solly - Charlton RB who has been their POTS twice in the last 4 years. Still only 24 years old and been linked with Premier League clubs before. Get Dale Stephens on the phone to him ASAP. Would cost about £1,5000,000 but could be the answer to our RB problem for the next 6/7 years.

Gale Kakuta - The most optimistic shout on here. Kakuta is a left winger who is out of contract with Chelsea in the summer and despite being touted as a young star when he signed, he's never got going. However, he's currently enjoying a successful loan spell at Rayo Vallecano where he has scored 5 goals and picked up 7 assists in La Liga this season. Maybe if he looks at the careers of people who have came here from Chelsea (Bridcutt & Rohan) we might be able to tempt him.

Sébastien Bassong - Friends with Hughton. Experienced CB. Unwanted at Norwich, on loan at Watford who won't want him in the Prem. However, he would be a sensational signing for us. Only concern would be his wages. £250,000 would get him here IMO.

David McGoldrick/Yannick Sagbo - Would fill the loan striker role perfectly as an upgrade on O'Grady and both out of contract in the summer. McGoldrick looks like he'll be leaving if Ipswich go up, if not then Sagbo is not wanted by Hull and unlikely to be kept even if they go down.

Anthony Knockaert - Another optimistic one, but being released by Leicester at the end of the season as it stands. He was an absolute MONSTER last time he played in this league and he'd tear it apart again. I'd give a limb to see us sign him.

Ola Aina - A key member of the Chelsea U-21 team who seem to be all conquering. Can play anywhere across the back four. Back-up defender on loan for they year would be perfect.

Maynor Figueroa - Another player who is out of contract in the summer. Was on loan at Wigan earlier in the season so obviously not against the idea of dropping a division.

Which would leave us with a team of:

Stockdale
Solly - Bassong - Dunk - Figueroa
Kayal - Ince - Stephens
Knockaert - McGoldrick - Kakuta

Walton; Aina; Calderon; Crofts, Villa, Lualua/March; Baldock

[MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION] knows a thing or two about squad improvement, so consider his endorsement of this post as a good sign. You've recognised that you're being ambitious here, but after aiming low for the last season or two, what's wrong with aiming for the sky?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Don't disagree (and sad indictment on our strikers that is !) but there is a world of difference between Champs and Prem - the sort of mistakes he is prone to make leaves me to think for now he'd be horribly exposed in the prem and they wouldn't be tolerated for long

He will only become prem class when he plays in the prem. experience against top level players will make dunk an even better player imo. Defending in the championship is a million miles away from whats required in the premier league. For now, were in the champ, and hes plenty good enough for us right now.

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
Personally, i think we should sign 4 new defenders, 3 midfielders and AT LEAST 3 strikers. Sam byram would be a strong option for RB; after winning POTS for Leeds at just the age of 19, he has followed up with consistently impressive performances, chipping in with a few goals as well as whipping in great crosses. However he has inevitably attracted interest from premier league clubs. I wouldn't mind chris gunter either; a 24 year old welsh international who tends to be a reliable, fit resource.
My preferred two CBs would be tom lees and aden flint. Both have contributed to team successes this season, lees part of a defence that has kept a great 17 clean sheets for Sheffield Wednesday, while aden flint (a set-piece threat) has defended and attacked superbly, resulting in the league one title for bristol city. At left back i would like to see us sign stephen ward again; if burnley come down it would increase the chances of this move happening.
One of the main problems this season has been a real lack of pace and urgency, and think any two of Moses odubajo, jeremy helan, gareth mccleary, and anthony knockaert would help us adress this issue. Furthermore, i would like to see us sign teixeira again, whether the move is permanent or a loan. However, i think lewis mcgugan would be a fantastic addition to our squad - on a permanent basis. With a great long shot and bags of experience in this division, this creative midfielder would really improve our transition from defence to attack. I would also be satisfied with acquisations of ben pringle and steven cotterill - both fantastic set piece takers.
Finally...strikers, strikers, strikers. Our most blatant problem for a couple of years now, and it has to end NOW. Surely the only reason we bought sam baldock was because he would score goals in a PARTNERSHIP...like he did at Bristol city. So then, lets get borja gonzalez - a spanish, 6ft 4 tower who is scoring goals for fun at the moment for real zarazoga (2 every 3 games according to wikipedia) and, with aplomb, set up great oppurtunities for baldock - and at least two other strikers. Igor vetokele, Joe garner, nouha dicko and jonatan soriano are all reasonable shouts in my opinion, and - provided with the correct service - would actually. Score. Goals.
Other than that, im not really fussed about who we sell as long as we SUFFICIENTLY replace ulloa, buckley, barnes bridcutt and all the other ones who went.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Pretty sure Bassong has been playing regularly for Norwich recently - in fact he played at the Amex.. And seems back in favour there...

Funny how the Norwich fans were slating him and laughing at us signing him a few months ago and suddenly he's their captain again (I think) - just shows a lot of them seem to have it in for Hughton & follow the pack....

As do loads on here

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Am I the only person that doesn't think that Dunk is particularly special? Certainly not in the 3-5m bracket anyway.

Nope he's average at best!

Clear Out Your Clutter Day.png

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Chris Solly from Charlton, Jake Bidwell from Brentford. That's the full back positions sorted.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
[MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION] knows a thing or two about squad improvement, so consider his endorsement of this post as a good sign. You've recognised that you're being ambitious here, but after aiming low for the last season or two, what's wrong with aiming for the sky?

That humbles me, and in truth I have little idea about the subject. However, Whitechapel's list of targets is perhaps mainly what we need, alongside, I suspect, a striker which will be targetted from overseas.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That's what we thought would happen with the Ulloa, Buckley and Bridcutt money.

Bloom said in September when asked about the "ulloa money" that some Incoming transfer fee profit does go into the playing budget but also covers off losses etc (which are high each year because we spend so much on wages for our squad).

Our football budget this year was more than £20m+, most reporters think this puts us in the Champ top 10, and we made 2 signings this summer in the top 5 of fees in the clubs history.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bloom said in September when asked about the "ulloa money" that some Incoming transfer fee profit does go into the playing budget but also covers off losses etc (which are high each year because we spend so much on wages for our squad).

Our football budget this year was more than £20m+, most reporters think this puts us in the Champ top 10, and we made 2 signings this summer in the top 5 of fees in the clubs history.

That confirms what I have been thinking, that the investment is going into the squad but the money is being wasted on the wrong players. Let's hope the scouting/recruitment team do better this summer.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Mentioned earlier but we might want to look at a young striker in Tier 2 in Spain who's been knocking them in. Good record of 1 goal per 2 appearances , 16 this season, and familiar with championship football.
:)

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
That confirms what I have been thinking, that the investment is going into the squad but the money is being wasted on the wrong players. Let's hope the scouting/recruitment team do better this summer.

Totally agree.Bloom must be very fed up.The money spent IMO is as good as it gets.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Reading the report in The Argus earlier about Colunga doesn't look too good. Granada could decide not to exercise their option to buy him because of injury and bad form. Instead of receiving a fee we could end up letting him go "by mutual consent" to avoid his return and give him the chance to find another Spanish outfit.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Liam bridcutt
Elliott Bennett
Anthony Knockaert
Sammy Ameobi
Stephen Ward
Sebastian Bassong
Chris Gunter
Chris wood

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Listening to the Shrewsbury/ Plymouth game on the interwebs and although Shrewsbury are losing the Argyle commentators have been highly complimentary about Shrewsbury's sussex born left back Mickey Demetriou. Sounds like he's been the main source of Shrewsbury's attacking outlet and defended ok to boot. Might be worth a punt seeing as we need a perminate left back and I can't see him being too expensive. Surely can't be worse that Bennett.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here