Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help Chris Hughton : Who would you sell and sign?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Adam Le Fondre... Not wanted by Cardiff, currently on loan to Bolton. His goalscoring record is pretty good apart from at Cardiff. Still only 28. Scored 8 in 15 appearance for Bolton.

Could that be because he wanted to go back up north or Cardiff wanted to trim the wages.of high earners, either counts us out.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
We should have our very own NSC scouting team. Each user represents a football league club and focuses their attention on any hot talent the club might have under the carpet.

I remember noticing Danny Ings when he was at Bournemouth and Adomah when he was at Barnet. I'm sure together, NSC could pull together a good shortlist of players, we just need our online scouts!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Sell Dunk, then look for a central defender? Why not just keep Dunk?

Lansbury: no thanks
Zamora: wages

I dont think for us Zamora would command big wages, maybe for another team he might. He said when playing for Fulham, in a book, that he is always telling his mates he will return to brighton one day and wants to finish here. Having made his money already, i dont see it as being a stumbling block.

Of course it still comes down to whether we may want him, but if we did, i dont think wages would be the issue, its the romantic ending Zamora wants.

If he's good enough is the issue. i think he is if he can stay off the treatment table.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why the fixation with signing Elliott Bennett? Has suffered a serious knee injury and while on loan here looked a pale imitation of the player who starred previously for the Albion. No coincidence Norwich were happy to farm him out. You can also add Zamora to the list.

Really, Albion need to look forward and hunt down the up and coming players who will fight for promotion - not become a cash cow for injury-plagued former stars.

He also signed a new deal with Norwich which keeps him there until 2016.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
There's no way I'd sell Dunk. We'd be left with an old and slow defence. Much like we have now, but worse.

Agree we need some pace - all over the pitch actually. But reality is if the club receive good offers for any of our players, including Dunk and Ince, they'll be off.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There's some good shouts from the lower leagues (Garner, Tootle etc) but I'm uneasy with Zamora and Bennett returning - it's all good living 10 years in the past but if we keep doing that we'll be back playing at that level. Nicky Maynard too...spent most of his career injured, which is a shame as he looked a real prospect a few years back.

I wouldn't mind having Joe Bennett back - he's not great but he's been pretty solid and under Hughton he may be able to improve his defensive positioning (wasn't Hughton a LB in his playing days?). Ward would be an interesting shout, but as he's spent the season warming the Burnley bench it'd be interesting to see if he's gone rusty or not.
If we were interested in Max Power then we may have a better chance now that Tranmere have been relegated - they may want to lose players from the wage bill.

I'd be surprised if CH hadn't already got a hit list and that may have reflected on who he kept on when deciding the retained list. We'll see how long it takes before the rumours surface.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Get rid of all of them and sign new players to kiss the badge.

What do I think will happen?

We will offload around 6 players, sign a couple of old hasbeens and fill the team with loanees again.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Henri Lansbury is Prem bound
I would go after;

Lewis McGuggan or Guediora (watford no 5) as attacking midfielder
Jed Wallace Portsmouth right midfield
Essou Akoto left back
Jamie O Hara left midfield
Moses Obadajo Brentford right back
Bassong Norwich CB
Shola Ameobi or BZ striker

The search has already begun and meetings have taken place to run through lists of potential targets to put to the powers that be, although it is just rough drafts at moment and scouting still being done all over the place but I am almost cretain that Jamie O'Hara won't be on that list.

The guy is not that bad a player but he is so much up his own arse that most managers who get to know him, never want to touch him ever again. And don't forget CH knows him as he was in his reserve team when he was at Spurs.

The others are probably too old for the most part for what we will be looking for with the odd exception - Bassong would be a great signing but impossible to get if Norwich go up

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bring in:

PIG
El-Abd Elphick Cook
Bridcutt
Barnes Orlandi Spanish Dave Buckley
Ulloa Murray

Job done :jester:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
We need big changes to stand a chance of being top 6 next season. The only part of the field I'm happy with is central midfield with Kayal/Ince/Stephens.

I'd sign;

A goalkeeper

2 x central defenders
Right back
Left back

Att midfielder
Right winger
Left winger

3 strikers

Completely laughable anyone suggesting we will get £5million for Dunk.

11 Players.....Wow. How many do you think need to be first team starters/regulars? I think 5 quality additions is enough. I worry about wholesale changes to a side. Quality over quantity for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The search has already begun and meetings have taken place to run through lists of potential targets to put to the powers that be, although it is just rough drafts at moment and scouting still being done all over the place but I am almost cretain that Jamie O'Hara won't be on that list.

The guy is not that bad a player but he is so much up his own arse that most managers who get to know him, never want to touch him ever again. And don't forget CH knows him as he was in his reserve team when he was at Spurs.

The others are probably too old for the most part for what we will be looking for with the odd exception - Bassong would be a great signing but impossible to get if Norwich go up

I would have thought Bassong is more likely if they get promoted and less if they stay in The Championship.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Luisma Villa - Spanish winger/attacking midfielder who has just clinched the Confrence title with Barnet. 25 years old, he got 13 goals in the league last season. Reached the Segunda División play--offs twice whilst playing in Spain. Somewhere between 100k and 250k would clinch him. Worth a punt IMO.

Chris Solly - Charlton RB who has been their POTS twice in the last 4 years. Still only 24 years old and been linked with Premier League clubs before. Get Dale Stephens on the phone to him ASAP. Would cost about £1,5000,000 but could be the answer to our RB problem for the next 6/7 years.

Gale Kakuta - The most optimistic shout on here. Kakuta is a left winger who is out of contract with Chelsea in the summer and despite being touted as a young star when he signed, he's never got going. However, he's currently enjoying a successful loan spell at Rayo Vallecano where he has scored 5 goals and picked up 7 assists in La Liga this season. Maybe if he looks at the careers of people who have came here from Chelsea (Bridcutt & Rohan) we might be able to tempt him.

Sébastien Bassong - Friends with Hughton. Experienced CB. Unwanted at Norwich, on loan at Watford who won't want him in the Prem. However, he would be a sensational signing for us. Only concern would be his wages. £250,000 would get him here IMO.

David McGoldrick/Yannick Sagbo - Would fill the loan striker role perfectly as an upgrade on O'Grady and both out of contract in the summer. McGoldrick looks like he'll be leaving if Ipswich go up, if not then Sagbo is not wanted by Hull and unlikely to be kept even if they go down.

Anthony Knockaert - Another optimistic one, but being released by Leicester at the end of the season as it stands. He was an absolute MONSTER last time he played in this league and he'd tear it apart again. I'd give a limb to see us sign him.

Ola Aina - A key member of the Chelsea U-21 team who seem to be all conquering. Can play anywhere across the back four. Back-up defender on loan for they year would be perfect.

Maynor Figueroa - Another player who is out of contract in the summer. Was on loan at Wigan earlier in the season so obviously not against the idea of dropping a division.

Which would leave us with a team of:

Stockdale
Solly - Bassong - Dunk - Figueroa
Kayal - Ince - Stephens
Knockaert - McGoldrick - Kakuta

Walton; Aina; Calderon; Crofts, Villa, Lualua/March; Baldock

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely Blackpool's Mark Waddington would be one of the first on the list. We almost signed him in January and Blackpool will want the cash now

I've heard the rumours about Power and Wallace but surely we can do better than that?

I'm sure that at least one of our strikers will be from Europe

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Why don't we make a derisory bid to Norwich for Rickie Van Catswhiskers. Couldn't hit a barndoor in the Premier League last season but commanded a massive fee from a Dutch team(11m?), so must have something about him. Would surely do a lot better in the Championship with a fresh start. He has been on loan to St Etienne this season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Luisma Villa - Spanish winger/attacking midfielder who has just clinched the Confrence title with Barnet. 25 years old, he got 13 goals in the league last season. Reached the Segunda División play--offs twice whilst playing in Spain. Somewhere between 100k and 250k would clinch him. Worth a punt IMO.

Chris Solly - Charlton RB who has been their POTS twice in the last 4 years. Still only 24 years old and been linked with Premier League clubs before. Get Dale Stephens on the phone to him ASAP. Would cost about £1,5000,000 but could be the answer to our RB problem for the next 6/7 years.

Gale Kakuta - The most optimistic shout on here. Kakuta is a left winger who is out of contract with Chelsea in the summer and despite being touted as a young star when he signed, he's never got going. However, he's currently enjoying a successful loan spell at Rayo Vallecano where he has scored 5 goals and picked up 7 assists in La Liga this season. Maybe if he looks at the careers of people who have came here from Chelsea (Bridcutt & Rohan) we might be able to tempt him.

Sébastien Bassong - Friends with Hughton. Experienced CB. Unwanted at Norwich, on loan at Watford who won't want him in the Prem. However, he would be a sensational signing for us. Only concern would be his wages. £250,000 would get him here IMO.

David McGoldrick/Yannick Sagbo - Would fill the loan striker role perfectly as an upgrade on O'Grady and both out of contract in the summer. McGoldrick looks like he'll be leaving if Ipswich go up, if not then Sagbo is not wanted by Hull and unlikely to be kept even if they go down.

Anthony Knockaert - Another optimistic one, but being released by Leicester at the end of the season as it stands. He was an absolute MONSTER last time he played in this league and he'd tear it apart again. I'd give a limb to see us sign him.

Ola Aina - A key member of the Chelsea U-21 team who seem to be all conquering. Can play anywhere across the back four. Back-up defender on loan for they year would be perfect.

Maynor Figueroa - Another player who is out of contract in the summer. Was on loan at Wigan earlier in the season so obviously not against the idea of dropping a division.

Which would leave us with a team of:

Stockdale
Solly - Bassong - Dunk - Figueroa
Kayal - Ince - Stephens
Knockaert - McGoldrick - Kakuta

Walton; Aina; Calderon; Crofts, Villa, Lualua/March; Baldock
That is very well thought out. I hope the club take note of some of these.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree we need some pace - all over the pitch actually. But reality is if the club receive good offers for any of our players, including Dunk and Ince, they'll be off.
Define 'good'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here