Hello from a new member! Gordon Smith Story

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gordon Smith a Trevor Brooking type player !!!

Not sure about that, he was decently quick and a forward wasn't he ?

Alan Mullery described him as 'The Scottish Trevor Brooking' when we signed him, and he scored twice at White Hart Lane on his debut for us.

Could never quite make out if he was a striker or midfield player though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This won't be new to some, but for those who don't know (and how would you ever get away with this now as a chairman) he sold 7,500 tickets of the Brighton final allocation, the lower tier behind the goal at the old Wembley, to the Mr Big of touting in the country at the time, Stan Flashman.

Apparently the face value was around £35-40 apiece, Bamber sold them for about £75, and the tout then resold them for about £200 per ticket to mainly United fans, clearly visible at certain times during the game. Flashman has since claimed it was the best deal he ever did.

I think that is an urban myth. The face value was only a fiver, and whilst there were a lot of United in our end for the replay, it was all Albion for the first match.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I have never been in the " and Smith must score " camp. I don't get it. Yes he had a decent chance of scoring but it was never a shocking miss. He got a decent shot in and it almost went under Bailey's arse and it was a lucky save. Also maybe Robinson should have finished it off and not squared it to Smith. Smith had run 100 meters after 2 hours of football and got a shot in. It was 3rd in the list of all time FA Cup Final misses. I don't get it. When you compare it to Kalou's miss Saturday there is no comparison. Also lets not forget if he hadn't scored the first goal we would have lost anyway.

Albion legend for me.

I have to say I pretty much agree with all the above.

spot on

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Along with the Jimmy Case goal in the semi, Smith's first goal against United are probably my two favourite Albion moments.

Both fantastic goals too.

If it's difficult for younger members to understand it's simple.

You are at Wembley behind the goal and your striker sticks one in against United in the FA Cup final.

It doesn't get much better than that. It was simply magic and it's what I remember about that cup final.

We didn't see much of the miss, it was at Wembley and miles down the other end.

Cheers.

D

Deleted User X18H

Along with the Jimmy Case goal in the semi, Smith's first goal against United are probably my two favourite Albion moments.

Both fantastic goals too.

If it's difficult for younger members to understand it's simple.

You are at Wembley behind the goal and your striker sticks one in against United in the FA Cup final.

It doesn't get much better than that. It was simply magic and it's what I remember about that cup final.

We didn't see much of the miss, it was at Wembley and miles down the other end.

Cheers.

First goal??

D

Deleted User X18H

You know exactly what I meam Timmy.

Did you get your thank you letter from the Greens yet ?

No but I got a vote of thanks from the Tory's last night. And a big kiss from the Thatheresqe Charlotte Vere. Who, will one day be member for Brighton Pavilion.

And Smith Did Score

May 9, 2010
Glasgow
Jimmy Case at Highbury was a real moment for me,although I was in the front row and the seats were lower than the ground level! Also never saw much of the last minute of FA cup final from the wooden seats but watched it many times over the years. Gordons words last week were "I got the ball, controlled it, and thought....he will come out and try to stay big,I'll hit it low"...and as he thought about it in that split second Garry Bailey dived. "He made a bad goalkeeping decision and got lucky, I made a good decision and it turned out wrong"

SMITH....A LEGEND FOR ME......Score in the last minute or not....its the only FA CUP Final Iv'e ever been to, hopefully not the last

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks for your great story, And Smith Must Score.

I find it excellent to hear that he truly does hold our club high in his affections. Who told your wife that he knew Gordon Smith?

had a rare moment last week that I wanted to tell you about with Gordon Smith. It was arranged by my wife who met the former chairman of the S.F.A. He told her in conversation that he knew Gordon. She came home from work and told me the story. Well...as a real Gordon Smith fan I wanted to meet him. I had something interesting to show him!

For your pleasure, I've rifled through some videos to bring you a Gordon Smith goals compilation featuring goals for Rangers, Brighton and Manchester City - he even gets a goal for Man City against Crystal Palace!

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sNj9UvXZ2KE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sNj9UvXZ2KE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports