Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hello from a new member! Gordon Smith Story

And Smith Did Score

May 9, 2010
Glasgow
Hi Everyone. I'm just new to NSC and thought I would say hello. I've been up in Glasgow for the last 20 years so not exactly a regular at the Withdean! Visited 3 times and once to the Millenium stadium.

Back in the day I had a season ticket with my dad. Started in the south stand on day one in the 1st division, against Arsenal and a 0-4 hammering as I remember! Moved quickly to the Mecano stand when it opened.

I had a rare moment last week that I wanted to tell you about with Gordon Smith. It was arranged by my wife who met the former chairman of the S.F.A. He told her in conversation that he knew Gordon. She came home from work and told me the story. Well...as a real Gordon Smith fan I wanted to meet him. I had something interesting to show him!

Cheryl went to work the next day and asked if the meeting could take place. Well Gordon now had our number...would he call.

Two days later... I check the answer phone messages and Gordon had called! I phoned him back and ......What a decent guy. He arranged to meet me in a hotel for a chat. He travelled a 60 mile round trip just to meet a Brighton fan.

The reason I wanted to meet him was I has a copy of Roy of the Rovers from 1980 that I had requested Gordon Smith to be the centre page picture. I wanted him to sign it in person.

I met him last Saturday, we had a really long chat about the old days at the Albion and informed me that his time spent at the Albion was the highlight of his career. Honestly...he spoke with so much passion and still holds BHA in high regard.

He came to the meeting with his Brighton top and Tracksuit from the F.A Cup Final. Quality. I actually got to hold the top that scored a goal in the final and went on to become the most infamous top in F.A Cup history.

To me as a young boy Smith was a legend...as a man I now find him a top bloke! Cheers Gordon.

Thanks Cheryl for arranging it!

Picture to follow if I can:thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Prpbably best first post ever. Welcome. Now figure out the picture thingy. :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have never been in the " and Smith must score " camp. I don't get it. Yes he had a decent chance of scoring but it was never a shocking miss. He got a decent shot in and it almost went under Bailey's arse and it was a lucky save. Also maybe Robinson should have finished it off and not squared it to Smith. Smith had run 100 meters after 2 hours of football and got a shot in. It was 3rd in the list of all time FA Cup Final misses. I don't get it. When you compare it to Kalou's miss Saturday there is no comparison. Also lets not forget if he hadn't scored the first goal we would have lost anyway.

Albion legend for me.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
i actually thought Bailey should have been given more credit for good goalkeeping,
rather than the constant focus on the miss.

Great story,maximum respect to Smith-top bloke

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It was a decent shot and Bailey made a good but lucky save. Thats it for me.

I'm with you Unc. I don't think Bailey got enough credit for what was a very good save. And it was just about the first time all season that Robinson had passed to Smith so I think he was surprised.

I was at the other end of the ground so I didn't realise how close we had come to winning until I saw it on MOTD that night. Including an interviewer who said "That was an easy chance you missed, wasn't it Gordon?"

Gordon replied "I've missed easier ones than that this season" - which unfortunately was true!

But a top, top bloke who obviously has great affection for us.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Actually its Colemans fault with his soundbite. If he had shouted " and Smith has a half decent chance of scoring " at the end we would still not be falsely banging on about it 27 years later.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I agree Uncle. More Bailey doing his job rather than a miss. The Smith must score thing, is a commentator remark rather than the reality. I think the goal had gone when Robbo squared the ball.

Legends

I have never been in the " and Smith must score " camp. I don't get it. Yes he had a decent chance of scoring but it was never a shocking miss. He got a decent shot in and it almost went under Bailey's arse and it was a lucky save. Also maybe Robinson should have finished it off and not squared it to Smith. Smith had run 100 meters after 2 hours of football and got a shot in. It was 3rd in the list of all time FA Cup Final misses. I don't get it. When you compare it to Kalou's miss Saturday there is no comparison. Also lets not forget if he hadn't scored the first goal we would have lost anyway.

Albion legend for me.

:angel: CORRECT ALL SEASON ROBBO HAD BLASTED CHANCES LIKE THAT THEN LOST HIS BOTTLE! SMITH DID SCORE:clap2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm in the good save camp as well.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I agree Uncle. More Bailey doing his job rather than a miss. The Smith must score thing, is a commentator remark rather than the reality. I think the goal had gone when Robbo squared the ball.

I always took it that Smith was surprised to receive the bloomin' ball. Robinson was our striker, in the area, with a sight of goal - HIT THE BLOOMIN' THING.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here