Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hello from a new member! Gordon Smith Story

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:angel: CORRECT ALL SEASON ROBBO HAD BLASTED CHANCES LIKE THAT THEN LOST HIS BOTTLE! SMITH DID SCORE:clap2:

I think the reality is Robinson bottled it rather than Smith wasted it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Smith was not expecting the ball. You can see that if you look when he gets it. He has to juggle his feet and legs several times to control it before shooting. Smith expected Robinson to shoot and to be there if the rebound came his way.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Gordon was a class player, period. His passing was superb at times and he had a real proper footballing brain. Nuff said about the fa cup final, read my monicle below!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have never been in the " and Smith must score " camp. I don't get it. Yes he had a decent chance of scoring but it was never a shocking miss. He got a decent shot in and it almost went under Bailey's arse and it was a lucky save.

Totally agree Uncle, the ASMS thing has been blown out of proportion and into the stuff of legend by that tasty soundbite, without "And Smith must score" the incident would have been more easily forgotten me thinks.

D

Deleted User X18H

Excellent and ironically 26 years 364 days since the fateful incident.

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Having watched it on Video, smith shoudl have burried it, and (from general opinion) he woudl ahve in almost any other game. Its not somthing to hate him for though...

Top story :clap2:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Gordon was a class player, period. His passing was superb at times and he had a real proper footballing brain. Nuff said about the fa cup final, read my monicle below!

It is an interesting retrospective view.

I remember Gordon Smith not being a particular crowd favourite and he had a period when the crowd turned against him.

I think he was out of the team for a while too.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Fine tale, he was a very good player for us, it's a shame outside of those who watched him regularly he will only ever be known for one thing.

If we're doing 83 stories, somebody reminded me the other day of one of the greatest betrayals in Albion history, the Bamber Cup final ticket fiasco, plus supplied a few details I didn't know.

This won't be new to some, but for those who don't know (and how would you ever get away with this now as a chairman) he sold 7,500 tickets of the Brighton final allocation, the lower tier behind the goal at the old Wembley, to the Mr Big of touting in the country at the time, Stan Flashman.

Apparently the face value was around £35-40 apiece, Bamber sold them for about £75, and the tout then resold them for about £200 per ticket to mainly United fans, clearly visible at certain times during the game. Flashman has since claimed it was the best deal he ever did.

I am sure the late Mr Bamber did many good things for our club, but this wasn't one of them.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Fine tale, he was a very good player for us, it's a shame outside of those who watched him regularly he will only ever be known for one thing.

If we're doing 83 stories, somebody reminded me the other day of one of the greatest betrayals in Albion history, the Bamber Cup final ticket fiasco, plus supplied a few details I didn't know.

This won't be new to some, but for those who don't know (and how would you ever get away with this now as a chairman) he sold 7,500 tickets of the Brighton final allocation, the lower tier behind the goal at the old Wembley, to the Mr Big of touting in the country at the time, Stan Flashman.

Apparently the face value was around £35-40 apiece, Bamber sold them for about £75, and the tout then resold them for about £200 per ticket to mainly United fans, clearly visible at certain times during the game. Flashman has since claimed it was the best deal he ever did.

I am sure the late Mr Bamber did many good things for our club, but this wasn't one of them.

Common practice I am afraid.

I think players, managers and chairman were all at it that year, allegedly ;-)

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Having watched it on Video, smith shoudl have burried it, and (from general opinion) he woudl ahve in almost any other game. Its not somthing to hate him for though...

Top story :clap2:

I'm afraid I cannot confirm the accuracy in that. He missed a lot of easier ones on a fairly regular basis. Fond memories nevertheless.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I can still hear the echo from 27 years ago

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And Smith Did Score

May 9, 2010
Glasgow
Hi again. Thans for the welcome. In a real rush to get away for a stag weekend in Newcastle but thought I would post one of the pics of "That shirt!

I'll add the Roy of the Rovers one when I get back.

Cheers

Attachments

• smith.JPG
    smith.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 128

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Robinson was a greedy bastard and only he will know why he didn't shoot instead of laying it off to Smith.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It is an interesting retrospective view.

I remember Gordon Smith not being a particular crowd favourite and he had a period when the crowd turned against him.

I think he was out of the team for a while too.

The crowd didn't like him because he wasn't a headless chicken, and also because he had a brain. He was an old fashioned attacking midfield player, similar to Trevor Brooking in style.

I also had a fiver on him at 16/1 for the cup final first scorer and the winnings were a weeks wages in those days.

He certainly wasn't a Chris Cattlin type of player, and I saw him play his last match (and score) in a 3-0 win at the Baseball Ground against Derby.

We sold him to Manchester City for a paltry £45,000 and he was their top scorer and brought them promotion.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The crowd didn't like him because he wasn't a headless chicken, and also because he had a brain. He was an old fashioned attacking midfield player, similar to Trevor Brooking in style.

I also had a fiver on him at 16/1 for the cup final first scorer and the winnings were a weeks wages in those days.

He certainly wasn't a Chris Cattlin type of player, and I saw him play his last match (and score) in a 3-0 win at the Baseball Ground against Derby.

We sold him to Manchester City for a paltry £45,000 and he was their top scorer and brought them promotion.

Gordon Smith a Trevor Brooking type player !!!

Not sure about that, he was decently quick and a forward wasn't he ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If only....

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8x9d2u51_U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8x9d2u51_U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here