Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Heat emergency declared in England

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was lovely today…well where I was …dragging some of Mondays work forward to tomorrow…drag Tuesday to Monday (start early finish by midday …take Monday afternoon and Tuesday off…what’s not to like

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Mass hysteria. A couple of days of hot weather and the country goes mad. A bit similar to our reaction to a dusting of snow. Madness.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I'm not going in to work those days; nice air-conditioned office, but I'm not sure I want to place my faith in Southern Rail to get me home.

I’ve not worked in the commercial world for over 20 years, I’m not sure how to put this but is your attitude the norm these days?

Genuine question.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Mass hysteria it may be, but when the population have acclimatised to high teens/low twenties then it becomes a different matter.
Go abroad to the med and you'll see the locals wearing coats and jumpers when the temps are 25-26c....it's all about what you're used to.
If it hits 35c in Sussex, I would be ok with that. Don't think it's hit 37.8c since 2003? could be wrong...it's the heat!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mass hysteria it may be, but when the population have acclimatised to high teens/low twenties then it becomes a different matter.
Go abroad to the med and you'll see the locals wearing coats and jumpers when the temps are 25-26c....it's all about what you're used to.
If it hits 35c in Sussex, I would be ok with that. Don't think it's hit 37.8c since 2003? could be wrong...it's the heat!

C8226C6A-48E4-47BD-BE07-2353A128BCD4.png

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
A number of schools are closing next week and others are ditching uniforms, as temperatures in parts of the UK are predicted to hit 40C (104F).

A national emergency has been declared after a red extreme heat warning was issued for Monday and Tuesday.

Schools are not being ordered to shut, but are being encouraged to take steps to ensure pupils are safe.

Teachers say schools will need to judge whether or not to fully or partially close in some instances.

But one teaching union said widespread closures were "unlikely at this stage"

This is not a criticism of closing schools due to the predicted high temperatures, it’s just an observation from the past.

I took all my O levels in 76 in a gym with a glass ceiling when the outdoor temperature was over 30C and indoors was like a furnace. IIRC the only dispensation was the markers were informed that it had been quite hot when the exam was taken. :)

This isn’t a ‘we had it tough’ growing up comment at all, just an observation that people just dealt with hot weather differently back then. For me, and the friends I retain from back then, we all look at 1976 as the best summer of our lives.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
This is not a criticism of closing schools due to the predicted high temperatures, it’s just an observation from the past.

I took all my O levels in 76 in a gym with a glass ceiling when the outdoor temperature was over 30C and indoors was like a furnace. IIRC the only dispensation was the markers were informed that it had been quite hot when the exam was taken. :)

This isn’t a ‘we had it tough’ growing up comment at all, just an observation that people just dealt with hot weather differently back then. For me, and the friends I retain from back then, we all look at 1976 as the best summer of our lives.

Pretty much the same as the above, but you should take into account our age, back then. Not only that, but 'if' temperatures do hit 40 degrees, it's a damn sight more than we dealt with, back then.
Elderly and vulnerable folk do indeed need to take extra care, and even though I don't count myself amongst them (although age-wise, like you) not far from it, I certainly wouldn't treat this potential heatwave with the same devil-may-care attitude as I would have done, some 45 years ago.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pretty much the same as the above, but you should take into account our age, back then. Not only that, but 'if' temperatures do hit 40 degrees, it's a damn sight more than we dealt with, back then.
Elderly and vulnerable folk do indeed need to take extra care, and even though I don't count myself amongst them (although age-wise, like you) not far from it, I certainly wouldn't treat this potential heatwave with the same devil-may-care attitude as I would have done, some 45 years ago.

The 76 heat raised deaths 20% above normal, due to heatstroke and heat-related heart attacks. This increased to 59% in the 2003 heat.

I was at primary school in 76, I loved the weather and spent hours in the swimming pool. I expect today’s kids will love this too.

But that’s no consolation to very vulnerable who are going to be at risk on Mon and Tues.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The history of Brazilian football would have been very different if they thought that way every time it gets a bit hot over there…

Whilst you have a valid point (and as a side point, Brazilian keepers were awful for years), I think anyone who remembers Hans is evil is long past the future of anything.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The 76 heat raised deaths 20% above normal, due to heatstroke and heat-related heart attacks. This increased to 59% in the 2003 heat.

I was at primary school in 76, I loved the weather and spent hours in the swimming pool. I expect today’s kids will love this too.

But that’s no consolation to very vulnerable who are going to be at risk on Mon and Tues.

Fair comment, I did try to frame that post as nothing more than my personal experience.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair comment, I did try to frame that post as nothing more than my personal experience.

I wasn’t aiming at you.

Just highlighting that we as kids (and sunbathers) had a whale of a time in 76, great memories, I think 75 was rather nice too. Unknowing that it was dangerous for some elderly and other folk.

The carefree days of youth.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We've got it pretty good down here: brilliant spring/summer so far compared to elsewhere like up norf - pretty much constant sun - and monday and Tuesday somewhat more bearable than elsewhere along the coast. Happy days :)

Dec 29, 2011
I live in Arizona (USA). We hit a high of 46C / 115F this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although bloody hot (I've lived in that part of the world too), England just isn't designed to cope with such heat. 28 here with our insulated housing and sparse amounts of air conditioning can almost be as unbearable as 40 elsewhere.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I’m with you Clampy. Last day of term today. I’m going to enjoy it. Perhaps the Government would be better off warning people of a return to 20 degrees and rain in a few days. Enjoy the weather folks. We won’t have it for long.

We'll have it far more often each year coming as climate change continues to lead to more common extreme weather patterns.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I lived in Greece for a few years 36 is a normal friggin day what’s wrong with this country and the weather. Anything apart from grey skies and rain it’s panic mode just heard the trains might not run ffs.

The UK isn't built around having these temperatures consistently and the humidity is far different than Greece for example.

This makes the same temperatures far worse in the UK than other places.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Although bloody hot (I've lived in that part of the world too), England just isn't designed to cope with such heat. 28 here with our insulated housing and sparse amounts of air conditioning can almost be as unbearable as 40 elsewhere.

Shhh. The testosterone boys won't like that. Everyone complaining are wimps

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here