Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Heat emergency declared in England

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The UK government has issued the first ever national emergency red alert for heat ahead of expected record temperatures on Monday and Tuesday, with the hottest areas set to be in central and eastern England.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has increased the “heat-health warning” alert for England to level 4 – the highest possible – for the first two days of next week, when the Met Office has forecast 40C (104F) for the first time.

At this level, illness and death may occur among the fit and healthy, and not just in high-risk groups.”

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hilariously enough, I heard it announced like this during a radio stations news broadcast..... " The Met Office have announced a rare Level 4 heat warning for the first time "

The mind boggles.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Can't wait for my commute home on Monday and Tuesday. The tube is going to be unbearable.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Back in the day you just had those hotter days when the Horsham Pool was too busy to play football on the back grass

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m on leave. Bring it on!

85E1E0F5-35C4-47E8-8217-AD4EF52F48C8.jpeg

Sav’s got this.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Can't wait for my commute home on Monday and Tuesday. The tube is going to be unbearable.

Whimp.

Anyone who regularly caught the 5.17 London Bridge to Littlehampton service in the days of the slam door trains and no air conditioning after it had spent all day in the sum in the sidings at Selhurst with all the windows closed will have stories of how hot the carriages were when getting on.

And no heat warning at all. It was so hot, that some people were known to loosen their ties.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Bloody good job it's not snowing.
Can imagine having to dig your driveway out in THIS heat

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Our lads are supposed to be playing cricket next Monday night and the forecast is 34 degrees. This is without doubt a new issue. Anyone that's played cricket has stared out the window at 8 hours worth of rain but too hot? No one has had that one before in England.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The thing is this is a legitimately unprecedented situation. People young and old will die in the coming days from dehydration/stroke. If it gets dressed up a little bit in the media so what, it will save lives reminding people to act sensibly

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Wondering what infrastructure will bend first? But seriously folks very high temperatures are really not a joke especially for the elderly and those with health issues

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ll apologise if I’m wrong but I don’t reckon there’s much chance of it getting to 40. I reckon it’ll top out at around 28 or thereabouts. I’d love it if it got to the 40 they are predicting but nah, I think not.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
I’ll apologise if I’m wrong but I don’t reckon there’s much chance of it getting to 40. I reckon it’ll top out at around 28 or thereabouts. I’d love it if it got to the 40 they are predicting but nah, I think not.

Will get back to you Tuesday evening

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The UK government has issued the first ever national emergency red alert for heat ahead of expected record temperatures on Monday and Tuesday, with the hottest areas set to be in central and eastern England.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has increased the “heat-health warning” alert for England to level 4 – the highest possible – for the first two days of next week, when the Met Office has forecast 40C (104F) for the first time.

At this level, illness and death may occur among the fit and healthy, and not just in high-risk groups.”

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Direct quote from presumably the same BBC report that OP got their quote from:

'It is the first time a red heat warning has been issued for parts of the UK, although the extreme heat warning system was only introduced in 2021.' :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
41ºC in the UK? Unlikely

Recently, various Global Forecast System (GFS) models were suggesting scenarios in which temperatures were forecast to reach the upper thirties and lower forties in south-east England, from 16-18 July.
These are truly exceptional predictions, which would smash the UK's current record high temperature of 38.7ºC. It is quite incredible to see the models suggest these outcomes, it would be even more so to see them come off. Of course, it is extremely unlikely that this will happen.

From Yourweather.

However, this was last week so we likely have a more accurate prediction now.

This effectively has to happen perfectly for the UK to attain 40 °C. Extreme events are inherently unlikely; the real atmosphere only gets one chance to evolve over the next few weeks, and all our best models suggest that it is unlikely to go down the 40 °C path.

From RMETS. Org

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here