Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Heat emergency declared in England

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’ve recently been involved with climate change modelling, via certain projects I’m delivering, and the 2050 models are already looking outdated - these take into account expected climate change trajectory... ultimately we should be looking to plant olive groves in the Simonside hills and producing wine in north Northumberland ... except, of course, we won’t be able to due to mass migration (to escape inhospitable regions) and land pressure created in part by our bloated and out of control population.

Whichever way you slice it we’re ****ed.

And people are still arguing about tax and bloody voodoo economics... Jesus wept.

so nowt can be done? or is that on the higher estimates of emissions?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Of course they won’t as if they were that type of person they wouldn’t be coming out with the nonsense in the first place.

I'm sure you're absolutely right but it speaks volumes about people who are so pompous as to ridicule others based on how the those in that country cope with the weather. Pathetic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Utterly irresponsible now. ****ing tax cuts and immigration!!! Just wait until entire swathes of the planet are uninhabitable. Good luck Farage holding back the billions of climate immigrants. You’re going to need a bigger plane Priti. All of this generation of politicians are DINOSAURS. Bin them all off.

The tax cuts talk is just bullshit from Truss and Mordaunt.

The tax take relative to gdp is at a record high. From a combination of stealth taxes over the last circa 17 years. But needed.

Truss or Mordaunt won’t be able truly cut overall taxation in this economic cycle, they’re lying.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

It’s too late now. We still could make an impact, but to do so would mean people having to pay more for things and having freedoms taken away. No government will try that because they’re more concerned about winning than doing what is needed.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

The modelling is based on government’s (and there’s likely to be a few before the end) meeting emission reduction targets (among other variables) ... so, yeah... wow, it’s pretty stark really.

I’m working to make small incremental changes to this predicted change, akin to a hamster pushing at the brakes on an out of control HGV... the red tape too, it’s astonishing... it’s far easier to get a licence to willingly contribute to the climate disaster than try to slow (key word) s l o w the expected rate of change.

Some days I feel like crying, but even if I make a tiny, tiny difference then at least I can say I gave it a shot.

The trouble is, really and sadly, it’s all too little far too sodding late.

Don’t get me wrong, I still :) I still enjoy my life but, but we’re unequivocally in a mess. I was born in 1981, the work I’m doing now realistically should have started back then ... we’ve delayed too long, dallied too ponderously and fatally wounded humanity through inaction whilst destroying the natural world with all the gay abandon of a couple rabbits in a particularly ripe lettuce patch.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Hertfordshire Fire Service has declared a major incident.

"The service has received a very high volume of 999 calls, leading to crews attending more than 240 emergency incidents so far today, in part due to the extreme weather.

"These incidents include crop fires, field fires, and road traffic collisions on major roads. Firefighters have continued to work hard in very difficult conditions," it says.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hertfordshire Fire Service has declared a major incident.

"The service has received a very high volume of 999 calls, leading to crews attending more than 240 emergency incidents so far today, in part due to the extreme weather.

"These incidents include crop fires, field fires, and road traffic collisions on major roads. Firefighters have continued to work hard in very difficult conditions," it says.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Heroes, plain and simple.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The modelling is based on government’s (and there’s likely to be a few before the end) meeting emission reduction targets... so, yeah... wow, it’s pretty stark really.

I’m working to make small incremental changes to this predicted change, akin to a hamster pushing at the brakes on an out of control HGV... the red tape too, it’s astonishing... it’s far easier to get a licence to willingly contribute to the climate disaster than try to slow (key word) s l o w the expected rate of change.

Some days I feel like crying, but even if I make a tiny, tiny difference then at least I can say I gave it a shot.

The trouble is, really and sadly, it’s all too little far too sodding late.

Unfortunately, all the inroads the UK, France, Italy and Spain have made in vast CO2 reductions to date, are just a pinprick. Here are the latest per capita numbers.

B428178B-A11F-4854-B7BD-56B38681ED14.png

Whilst these plough on with:
Canada 18.58 per capita
Australia 17.10
US 15.52
Russia 11.44
Japan 9.7
Netherlands 9.62
Germany 9.44
China 7.38

x 2.3 million folk.

Attachments

• 55679E7B-59D7-474E-AA2C-F9E2FD9309D3.png
    55679E7B-59D7-474E-AA2C-F9E2FD9309D3.png
    150 KB · Views: 124

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Climate change is real, and it’s happening fast.
You’d have to be massively ignorant or downright stupid to not acknowledge it.

Here in Western Canada, summer 2021 saw record temps in many towns and cities, including one town which entirely burnt to the ground.
Less than 5 months later, we had record lows in the winter.

Record temps, wildfires and general climate disasters are happening much more frequently and affecting parts of the world which aren’t prepared or equipped for the extremes.

Politicians across the world must up their game on climate very quickly as this is going to continue until real hard change is implemented globally as it affects all of our lives.
Infrastructure, agriculture, health, environment, wildlife and human life.

You don’t need to worry about climate change though………..a fix is on its way.
When Jesus returns for the second coming there will be a brand new earth and a new heaven.
There will be no more mourning or crying or pain.
This earth with all the damage we have done will have passed away and wont even be remembered.

Quite clever really
Sort of like turning earth off and turning it on again. :thumbsup:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The weather forecast was spot on then. Again. People often rubbish it - and have even done so on this thread - but it was bang on the money. The reason is that the combination of human knowledge and complex modelling means weather forecasting is one of the most accurate pieces of information about the future that exists on the planet. Even Tony Bloom would want a model as accurate as that. The days of Michael Fish slapping a bit of sun in a random area of the map are long gone.

Still, I'm sure big Dave will be along at some point to tell me it's all bollocks when he can't even get up a prediction in his acca with Liverpool, Man City and United home wins.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The pictures of those house fires look utterly devastating. In normal circumstances, a house fire is generally contained to just a proportion of the property and fought from the inside, so it’s often possible for crews to salvage precious or important items before they are lost or damaged.

Some of these homes looked like they just spontaneously combusted with 100% total loss in minutes. One piece of footage I saw shot from a helicopter showed even the whole garden, garage and cars had been destroyed. Absolutely everything that family own gone, apart from what they are stood up in.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The pictures of those house fires look utterly devastating. In normal circumstances, a house fire is generally contained to just a proportion of the property and fought from the inside, so it’s often possible for crews to salvage precious or important items before they are lost or damaged.

Some of these homes looked like they just spontaneously combusted with 100% total loss in minutes. One piece of footage I saw shot from a helicopter showed even the whole garden, garage and cars had been destroyed. Absolutely everything that family own gone, apart from what they are stood up in.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Since the industrial revolution global temperatures have gone up by 1% so far, doesn't seem too much but recent summers beg to differ.
Where we are in 2050 or whatever if it gets to be 3% will be hard to survive maybe.

Having said that, the earth has been hotter 100's of million years ago and the dinosaurs were quit happy with it.
Maybe mother earth will be quite content if humans are not around in the future:)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Normally homes only look like that in places like Aleppo or in old shots of the war, these fires almost literally went off like a bomb inside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here