Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] -Head to head- Ajax and Brighton discussion

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Welcome mate, Thanks for reaching out.

Will you be doing the away game at the AMEX?

I think it’s the game most Brighton fans will go to with or without a ticket I expect every man and his gran will be trying to get over to Amsterdam that week. Especially as it’s easier for most to get to than a lot of games up north.

Is your average supporting fan aware of Brighton and our current set up?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for joining. Sorry, but I cannot help but read your posts in the style of Steve McClaren's Dutch accent... very annoying!
Same. Totally the same. Shmoke & a pancake.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Thank you Vincent. Great username. I presume you must be a direct descendant of the great artist who currently has an exhibition in Brighton until Sept 10. (For Brighton locals, I urge you to see it — it’s brilliant. (https://vangoghaliveuk.com/brighton/))

Just thought I’d mention that in 1971 I saw Ajax beat Panathanaikos at Wembley to win the European Cup (forerunner of the Champions League), and have liked them ever since.

The other thing worth mentioning that you can perhaps feed back to your fellow Ajax fans is that Brighton is a very welcoming town, and that football violence and hooliganism is virtually unknown. You can travel here in total safety and enjoy the experience of being in a liberal town in a very beautiful part of England. We look forward to welcoming you. No doubt there’ll be plenty of questions for you, so thank you for being a good sport and volunteering to offer advice.
Hope the pier doesn’t get burned down by the ultras from Marseille and Athens who may not get that message of liberalisation and being nice people……
Let’s wait and see; not holding my breath

VincentvanGogh

Sep 1, 2023
Amsterdam
Thank you Vincent. Great username. I presume you must be a direct descendant of the great artist who currently has an exhibition in Brighton until Sept 10. (For Brighton locals, I urge you to see it — it’s brilliant. (https://vangoghaliveuk.com/brighton/))

Just thought I’d mention that in 1971 I saw Ajax beat Panathanaikos at Wembley to win the European Cup (forerunner of the Champions League), and have liked them ever since.

The other thing worth mentioning that you can perhaps feed back to your fellow Ajax fans is that Brighton is a very welcoming town, and that football violence and hooliganism is virtually unknown. You can travel here in total safety and enjoy the experience of being in a liberal town in a very beautiful part of England. We look forward to welcoming you. No doubt there’ll be plenty of questions for you, so thank you for being a good sport and volunteering to offer advice.
That's amazing to hear. It was the golden period for Ajax those years and Wembley has always been in good memory because of it.

I don't really have connections with the F-side, which is the hard-core Ajax group, to set those things up but how amazing would it be if Brighton and Ajax supporters can go shoulder to shoulder. I do have some cousins part of it so who knows and let's see if we can make that happen! The other teams in our poule won't likely be as friendly so it would be nice to have away days with an amazing atmosphere together.

VincentvanGogh

Sep 1, 2023
Amsterdam
Welcome mate, Thanks for reaching out.

Will you be doing the away game at the AMEX?

I think it’s the game most Brighton fans will go to with or without a ticket I expect every man and his gran will be trying to get over to Amsterdam that week. Especially as it’s easier for most to get to than a lot of games up north.

Is your average supporting fan aware of Brighton and our current set up?
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Unfortunately I most likely won't be joining but if I do, even without a ticket, I recon it will be a blast with some of you guys in a pub.

What often happens when English fans come our way is that they get hammered and make a mess of the red light district area. So if you guys can have a different approach I think it will be to the likings of many Amsterdammers! ;)

I don't think fans are very aware of how Brighton is at the moment. Of course most people heard about Brighton when Veltman started playing there but I think mainly because of the great results last year and the interest in Kudus, the club became more known.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
That's amazing to hear. It was the golden period for Ajax those years and Wembley has always been in good memory because of it.

I don't really have connections with the F-side, which is the hard-core Ajax group, to set those things up but how amazing would it be if Brighton and Ajax supporters can go shoulder to shoulder. I do have some cousins part of it so who knows and let's see if we can make that happen! The other teams in our poule won't likely be as friendly so it would be nice to have away days with an amazing atmosphere together.
It was my one and only time seeing Johann Cruyff play live so it’s a great memory for me.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
Piet Mondrian.. as a young 17yr old I had to do a 10,000 word dissitation on any artist.. so made the trek to Amsterdam. This was early 90's.. Ipswich, ferry to Hook of Holland and a train journey to be picked up on the opposite side of the main train station.
I think a lot of seagulls will want to go.. 15000+

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Piet Mondrian.. as a young 17yr old I had to do a 10,000 word dissitation on any artist.. so made the trek to Amsterdam. This was early 90's.. Ipswich, ferry to Hook of Holland and a train journey to be picked up on the opposite side of the main train station.
I think a lot of seagulls will want to go.. 15000+
Maybe 15,000 seagulls will be in Amsterdam given that it’s a port, but there’ll be nowhere near that number of Albion fans. I reckon 5k tops, probably less.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Haha no one here knew who he was and he didn't have his working permit yet so we don't know how he will play. In Brobbey we have a very strong striker but currently he lacks the one thing an Ajax striker needs: goals. As an Ajax striker you often get a lot of opportunities to score and if you don't you have to be lethal. By becoming the top scorer in the Championship I guess they want to turn up the heat for Brobbey. Although I heard Akpom played more as a 10 then a striker?
No, he’s played as a wheelie bin, but is slightly less effective.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Been to Amsterdam twice with England. Once in a neutral end and great fun with the Dutch who were sound and we both cheered our goals without twatiness. The second time I got banged up for the game for being English and standing on a bridge. I kid you not.

Don’t trust foreign police if there is any trouble at these Euro games.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Haha no one here knew who he was and he didn't have his working permit yet so we don't know how he will play. In Brobbey we have a very strong striker but currently he lacks the one thing an Ajax striker needs: goals. As an Ajax striker you often get a lot of opportunities to score and if you don't you have to be lethal. By becoming the top scorer in the Championship I guess they want to turn up the heat for Brobbey. Although I heard Akpom played more as a 10 then a striker?
Akpom had lots of potential as a youth player. We took him on loan the season we got promoted to the Premier League and he’s pretty much the only sour memory of that season.

Not to be rude but it’s remarkable that after his only prolific season in senior football, he’s become Ajax’s number ten.

Brobbey is obviously a good striker and for me, Georges Mikautadze may become one of the best signings of the window in Europe. If Akpom has any goalscoring impact at Ajax I’d be shocked.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Unfortunately I most likely won't be joining but if I do, even without a ticket, I recon it will be a blast with some of you guys in a pub.

What often happens when English fans come our way is that they get hammered and make a mess of the red light district area. So if you guys can have a different approach I think it will be to the likings of many Amsterdammers! ;)

I don't think fans are very aware of how Brighton is at the moment. Of course most people heard about Brighton when Veltman started playing there but I think mainly because of the great results last year and the interest in Kudus, the club became more known.
Hello mate. Quick question that I think may have already been asked. Are there likely to be any home tickets gettable for this tie and are there any areas where that might be OK without getting your head kicked in.

I appreciate the immediate answer may he no but I was talking to a mate of mine who is an ST holder at the san siro and he reckoned there are a number of sections that are pretty much always filled with tourists there and the locals dont care.

Asking on the off chance there may be something similar considering we may not be the most exciting of opposition for teams used to playing in the champions league and local fans saving money etc.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hello mate. Quick question that I think may have already been asked. Are there likely to be any home tickets gettable for this tie and are there any areas where that might be OK without getting your head kicked in.

Coor you’re brave asking that on here given how people get their knickers in a twist about away fans in home sections of the Amex !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here