Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] -Head to head- Ajax and Brighton discussion

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
(Reposting a bit that I wrote in the discussion thread here) Hi Brighton fans! As suggested by Bozza, I'm starting this thread to introduce myself and to provide you guys with everything you'd like to know about Ajax, or to bash on us, whatever floats your boat. But I'd also love to know more about the team we'll be facing.

I'm an Ajax fan and I’m keen to provide to discussions with more information from our side of the sea! I really like Brighton and how they have been performing the last season(s). A club with history who didn’t sell their souls to oil money yet. ;) I can’t wait for our clubs to meet in the European encounters, let’s hope they’ll be historic! I’ll be rooting for Brighton in the PL and I will be following Brighton more closely. I look forward to follow the discussions on the board.

This transfer periods has been one of the craziest I ever experienced. We are used to selling our top players every year but last year the guys that have been bought did not deliver. The downfall of Ajax after some amazing Champions League years started when legendary TD Marc Overmars had to leave the club after sending naughty pictures of himself to Ajax employees.

With a new technical director in the name of 'Diamond eyes' Sven Mislintat (former Arsenal), a new coach and staff, we spend well over 110 million euro's and basically bought a completely new squad for the coming season. Names that most fans never heard of so we have absolutely no idea how this will turn out in the end but it'll sure be interesting.

One thing is certain, European nights in the Johan Cruijff ArenA are something else. The buzz and atmosphere is so different from our Dutch league matches. Traditionally the Slahanksvenkoor is always played during our European nights so you'll be sure to see this when we meet in Amsterdam. I provided an impression from the Slavenkoor in the video below to get the hype started!

VincentvanGogh

Thanks for joining. Sorry, but I cannot help but read your posts in the style of Steve McClaren's Dutch accent... very annoying!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not sure but there is place for about 1600 away fans I believe.
That is shit. Come back with a better offer please or the Dyke gets it.

And is it still 2 guilders to get into the Heineken museum, with 45mins to drink as much as you can?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
(Reposting a bit that I wrote in the discussion thread here) Hi Brighton fans! As suggested by Bozza, I'm starting this thread to introduce myself and to provide you guys with everything you'd like to know about Ajax, or to bash on us, whatever floats your boat. But I'd also love to know more about the team we'll be facing.

I'm an Ajax fan and I’m keen to provide to discussions with more information from our side of the sea! I really like Brighton and how they have been performing the last season(s). A club with history who didn’t sell their souls to oil money yet. ;) I can’t wait for our clubs to meet in the European encounters, let’s hope they’ll be historic! I’ll be rooting for Brighton in the PL and I will be following Brighton more closely. I look forward to follow the discussions on the board.

This transfer periods has been one of the craziest I ever experienced. We are used to selling our top players every year but last year the guys that have been bought did not deliver. The downfall of Ajax after some amazing Champions League years started when legendary TD Marc Overmars had to leave the club after sending naughty pictures of himself to Ajax employees.

With a new technical director in the name of 'Diamond eyes' Sven Mislintat (former Arsenal), a new coach and staff, we spend well over 110 million euro's and basically bought a completely new squad for the coming season. Names that most fans never heard of so we have absolutely no idea how this will turn out in the end but it'll sure be interesting.

One thing is certain, European nights in the Johan Cruijff ArenA are something else. The buzz and atmosphere is so different from our Dutch league matches. Traditionally the Slavenkoor is always played during our European nights so you'll be sure to see this when we meet in Amsterdam. I provided an impression from the Slavenkoor in the video below to get the hype started!

VincentvanGogh

Thank you Vincent. Great username. I presume you must be a direct descendant of the great artist who currently has an exhibition in Brighton until Sept 10. (For Brighton locals, I urge you to see it — it’s brilliant. (https://vangoghaliveuk.com/brighton/))

Just thought I’d mention that in 1971 I saw Ajax beat Panathanaikos at Wembley to win the European Cup (forerunner of the Champions League), and have liked them ever since.

The other thing worth mentioning that you can perhaps feed back to your fellow Ajax fans is that Brighton is a very welcoming town, and that football violence and hooliganism is virtually unknown. You can travel here in total safety and enjoy the experience of being in a liberal town in a very beautiful part of England. We look forward to welcoming you. No doubt there’ll be plenty of questions for you, so thank you for being a good sport and volunteering to offer advice.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium

One thing is certain, European nights in the Johan Cruijff ArenA are something else. The buzz and atmosphere is so different from our Dutch league matches. Traditionally the Slavenkoor is always played during our European nights so you'll be sure to see this when we meet in Amsterdam. I provided an impression from the Slavenkoor in the video below to get the hype started!

VincentvanGogh

Ajax is een merknaam voor verschillende soorten schoonmaakmiddelen. 😊

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
The guy saying 1600 is wrong we will get at least 3k
Yeah I was confused about that too...
Johan Cruyff Arena currently has a capacity of 55,865 and away fans are permitted 5% of that, at minimum, so wouldn't that mean we've got an allocation of around 2,800?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yeah I was confused about that too...
Johan Cruyff Arena currently has a capacity of 55,865 and away fans are permitted 5% of that, at minimum, so wouldn't that mean we've got an allocation of around 2,800?
Actually Liverpool got 2610 last season ....and gave the same back to Ajax at anfield

The other 200 went to players and friends. So perhaps thats what we should expect, as Ajax will still sell out.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
It was hugely disappointing yes. Especially because we don't get the amount of money as a Premier League club so for Ajax it's essential to get Champions League income. The coming year will be very important because the top 2 spots will have a guaranteed placement in the Champions League and with the new CL setup the incomes are even higher. We have been spoiled for some years and having a bad season is part of it but it has to go better now. There is just a lot of uncertainty how to club will perform with so many new players and a new coach.

It can definitely be entertaining for children as well, depending on where you are seated of course. The biggest part of the stadium has 'regular' fans and there aren't stories of people being hunted down streets because they wear a different shirt, something that happens in different countries. I don't know about the Brighton fans so it will also depend on the tension they may cause in the city and the relationship between Ajax and Brighton fans. There is never a guarantee but Athens and Marseille are less likely to be safe.
Vincent, you and your fellow Ajax supporters would be made most welcome in our city. You won’t end up looking over your shoulder as we are a very sociable bunch. Your colours (which you should wear with pride) will merely compliment the colour of the city. I would love to buy you a beer or two if you make it over. I think you will find the banter enjoyable and the beer up to an acceptable level. I would love to get to Amsterdam again but this time to watch a game. I just don’t have enough points to warrant priority on getting a ticket for the game.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Vincent, you and your fellow Ajax supporters would be made most welcome in our city. You won’t end up looking over your shoulder as we are a very sociable bunch. Your colours (which you should wear with pride) will merely compliment the colour of the city. I would love to buy you a beer or two if you make it over. I think you will find the banter enjoyable and the beer up to an acceptable level. I would love to get to Amsterdam again but this time to watch a game. I just don’t have enough points to warrant priority on getting a ticket for the game.
Not sure if you are sucking up to get a ticket in the home end??👀😃

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here