Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] -Head to head- Ajax and Brighton discussion

VincentvanGogh

Sep 1, 2023
Amsterdam
(Reposting a bit that I wrote in the discussion thread here) Hi Brighton fans! As suggested by Bozza, I'm starting this thread to introduce myself and to provide you guys with everything you'd like to know about Ajax, or to bash on us, whatever floats your boat. But I'd also love to know more about the team we'll be facing.

I'm an Ajax fan and I’m keen to provide to discussions with more information from our side of the sea! I really like Brighton and how they have been performing the last season(s). A club with history who didn’t sell their souls to oil money yet. ;) I can’t wait for our clubs to meet in the European encounters, let’s hope they’ll be historic! I’ll be rooting for Brighton in the PL and I will be following Brighton more closely. I look forward to follow the discussions on the board.

This transfer periods has been one of the craziest I ever experienced. We are used to selling our top players every year but last year the guys that have been bought did not deliver. The downfall of Ajax after some amazing Champions League years started when legendary TD Marc Overmars had to leave the club after sending naughty pictures of himself to Ajax employees.

With a new technical director in the name of 'Diamond eyes' Sven Mislintat (former Arsenal), a new coach and staff, we spend well over 110 million euro's and basically bought a completely new squad for the coming season. Names that most fans never heard of so we have absolutely no idea how this will turn out in the end but it'll sure be interesting.

One thing is certain, European nights in the Johan Cruijff ArenA are something else. The buzz and atmosphere is so different from our Dutch league matches. Traditionally the Slavenkoor is always played during our European nights so you'll be sure to see this when we meet in Amsterdam. I provided an impression from the Slavenkoor in the video below to get the hype started!

VincentvanGogh

VincentvanGogh

Sep 1, 2023
Amsterdam
Never knew that about overmars
He has been so important for Ajax but he screwed the club by sending dick pics. Of course with all the sponsors and all there was no other option for him then to leave. After he left he went to Royal Antwerp in Belgium. They became champions last year and are in the Champions League for the first time in their history. The man really knows how to do his job.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I hear a lot of Ajax fans blaming overmars and his dick pic antics. But surely he's only one cog in the system. The club board should surely take the blame for the disasterous recruitment policy over the last year or so.

I do feel sorry for Ajax. Going from de ligt , de Jong , onana , Antony etc to Chuba akpom , bassey , boobey and bergwijn as club captain !!

VincentvanGogh

Sep 1, 2023
Amsterdam
I hear a lot of Ajax fans blaming overmars and his dick pic antics. But surely he's only one cog in the system. The club board should surely take the blame for the disasterous recruitment policy over the last year or so.

I do feel sorry for Ajax. Going from de ligt , de Jong , onana , Antony etc to Chuba akpom , bassey , boobey and bergwijn as club captain !!
Yes but the way he and Ten Hag worked together was insanely good. He managed to increase the worth of players like crazy. Because his screwup came so unexpectedly there was no backup plan and no clear line to follow anymore. His leave created a negative snowball effect.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
If you attack us I think we’ll do well. In many ways playing historical big teams with fan’s expecting attacking football works for us.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
(Reposting a bit that I wrote in the discussion thread here) Hi Brighton fans! As suggested by Bozza, I'm starting this thread to introduce myself and to provide you guys with everything you'd like to know about Ajax, or to bash on us, whatever floats your boat. But I'd also love to know more about the team we'll be facing.

I'm an Ajax fan and I’m keen to provide to discussions with more information from our side of the sea! I really like Brighton and how they have been performing the last season(s). A club with history who didn’t sell their souls to oil money yet. ;) I can’t wait for our clubs to meet in the European encounters, let’s hope they’ll be historic! I’ll be rooting for Brighton in the PL and I will be following Brighton more closely. I look forward to follow the discussions on the board.

This transfer periods has been one of the craziest I ever experienced. We are used to selling our top players every year but last year the guys that have been bought did not deliver. The downfall of Ajax after some amazing Champions League years started when legendary TD Marc Overmars had to leave the club after sending naughty pictures of himself to Ajax employees.

With a new technical director in the name of 'Diamond eyes' Sven Mislintat (former Arsenal), a new coach and staff, we spend well over 110 million euro's and basically bought a completely new squad for the coming season. Names that most fans never heard of so we have absolutely no idea how this will turn out in the end but it'll sure be interesting.

One thing is certain, European nights in the Johan Cruijff ArenA are something else. The buzz and atmosphere is so different from our Dutch league matches. Traditionally the Slavenkoor is always played during our European nights so you'll be sure to see this when we meet in Amsterdam. I provided an impression from the Slavenkoor in the video below to get the hype started!

VincentvanGogh

Thank you for taking the trouble to reach out to us, for reasons unknown to me Ajax has always been my second team on the continent, wether because as a 21 year old in 1990 I enjoyed the hospitality of your city after dark, use to love throwing the Guilders away in the peep shows or an episode of Only Fools and Horses ‘To Hull & Back” either way it’s a dream draw and we respect your city and club history!

VincentvanGogh

Sep 1, 2023
Amsterdam
Are you going to miss Kudus? Have Brighton missed out not getting him? (Although Fati is a pretty decent substitute 😂 )
Haha well Kudus is a class player but most of the fans aren't too hung up about him leaving. Not that we don't need his qualities because we don't have a lot of it anymore, but for most of his Ajax period he has been injured and he never managed to create this connection with the fans. If he actually played a full season it would have been different but it was already known he was going to leave.

Kudus is insanely strong on the ball and is always a threat towards the goal but with Fati you guys have a gem as well.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If you attack us I think we’ll do well. In many ways playing historical big teams with fan’s expecting attacking football works for us.
Indeed. They went for Liverpool and Napoli last year and got absolutely murdered. Napoli beat them 6-1 in Amsterdam if I remember right. And Ajax are arguably weaker now.

Brighton would be heavy favourites as it stands.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

VincentvanGogh

No, you can't have Joel Veltman back! Apart from that, Hello!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here