Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Haywards heath

Fur Cough

Lived in Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill. To be honest there really isn't much between the two.

Good place to bring up kids, good schools, good bars, good restraunts, good for leisure facilities for kids.

Neither are bustling cities but or larger towns but they have done OK for me and my Famiy for years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A number of people mention a spoons but they applied for The PRIORY but the application was not passed as it was withdrawn presumably because they were told there was going to be objections from local residents and more especially by the town councils wish to keep all the bars together at one end of the town. In the words of the Town Clerk there were objections to there being people in transit from Wetherspons to The Broadway. I know this because I asked about the planning application on a Freedom of Information enquiry. He failed to mention that a town councillor has a financial interest in Orange Square, so I am told.

If anybody is interested The Mayflower has a large to let sign up outside, again, 2 major problems its location and it is owned by Enterprise Inns

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A number of people mention a spoons but they applied for The PRIORY but the application was not passed as it was withdrawn presumably because they were told there was going to be objections from local residents and more especially by the town councils wish to keep all the bars together at one end of the town. In the words of the Town Clerk there were objections to there being people in transit from Wetherspons to The Broadway. I know this because I asked about the planing application on a Freedom of Information enquiry. He failed to mention that a town councillor has a financial interest in Orange Square, so I am told.

Gary Wall who is the leader of Mid Sussex district Council and happens to have an address in Priory Mews, directly opposite priory and therefore probably one of the local residents who may well complain (allegedly)!!!!!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes there has.....and there still is.

In fairness, the Jacob's Post isn't really a pub. It's a shop that used to sell carpets or something and now sells lagers and crisps from its key position between an estate agents and W H Smith's.

Meanwhile, Burgess Hill's real pubs seem to be evaporating. I had my last beer as a married man in the Royal George, which is now a block of horrible-looking flats, the Junction caught fire and the King's Head just sort of expired earlier this year.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Part of my family live in the Haywards Heath area and i would be quite happy to move to that area,its the teenagers who would not appreciate the lack of facilities that Brighton has however, they will come down to earth when they realise how much more exspensive it is to live in Brighton.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
In my experience, it's full of snobby, pretentious, money orientated, back stabbing ladder climbers, who seemingly can't stay faithful to their partners.....
Apart from that, it's fine

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Lived in the Heath all my life apart from a 25 years out, one in East Grinstead - shite transport links and one year in Burgess Hill.

To be honest its an ok place as mentioned, but in dire need of some sort of regeneration badly. The town centre is dead on its feet and very 1970's/1980's looking and full of charity shops, banks and coffee shops! You will never go without coffee here in H/H!

The broadway is ok for a good night out.

Oh and FFS will they change the floor tiles in the 99p shop - its still has the old Sainsburys ones on the floor and they moved out of that building in 1991!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In fairness, the Jacob's Post isn't really a pub. It's a shop that used to sell carpets or something and now sells lagers and crisps from its key position between an estate agents and W H Smith's.

Meanwhile, Burgess Hill's real pubs seem to be evaporating. I had my last beer as a married man in the Royal George, which is now a block of horrible-looking flats, the Junction caught fire and the King's Head just sort of expired earlier this year.

WTF. How many bars in numerous towns around the country have previously been shops. Half of Wetherspoons have probably been churches. Does that mean there not pubs now?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
any one remember the Pilgrim (Pub) in Haywards Heath used to have a jolly good time !

Oh yes. Lived no more than a stones throw from there, although by the time I was old enough to drink it was The Golden Eagle.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
WTF. How many bars in numerous towns around the country have previously been shops. Half of Wetherspoons have probably been churches. Does that mean there not pubs now?

Missing the point. The Jacob's Post was described as a pub, not as a bar. Few pubs are converted premises halfway along parades of shops. Your second sentence is probably right. The third one doesn't make sense.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Bang on. Thankfully I live just outside it in Lindfield- which is a great little village and will improve no end when the revamped Stand Up opens next week.

We are looking to move just down the road to there within the year. Go to the Red Lion most days so makes sense plus a lovely village with a great park and a great community. Won't take long to move as we only live by the Priory now. Winner

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Missing the point. The Jacob's Post was described as a pub, not as a bar. Few pubs are converted premises halfway along parades of shops. Your second sentence is probably right. The third one doesn't make sense.

Slight grammar error. To rephrase, are you suggesting that Wetherspoons are not pubs just because the building in which they operate was not specifically designed to be so. Jacob's Post is clearly a pub. Have you actually been in there? It's nothing like the bars that have sprouted up.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Boring but not the worst place to live in Sussex.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Gary Wall who is the leader of Mid Sussex district Council and happens to have an address in Priory Mews, directly opposite priory and therefore probably one of the local residents who may well complain (allegedly)!!!!!

And he 'owns' Orange Square which is another reason. Shame because it would perfect for me because I live opposite the priory. That said my local The Heath is hardly a trek.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here