Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2023/24 edition)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I do think the money I spent on cavity wall insulation last winter was a complete waste - I can see no sign that it's made any difference at all.

It was 15.3 degrees in the living room, where the Hive thermostat is, when I got up to walk the dog at 6:15 this morning. I gave the heating a 1-hour boost as Mrs B gets up at 7:00 and has a shower, and I knew she'd appreciate a bit of additional warmth.

Can I be a Monday night quarterback? I know installers here will attack my opinion. In an existing building it's often rubbish - it gets blocked by rubble that shouldn't be there, pug 'snots' and wall ties. I know this from builder friends and family, they don't rate it. But it can help to an extent with other better measures.

Other better solutions:
1. Suspended floors - open up all flooring and either friction fit 6" of Celotex/Kingspan between all joists leaving no gaps, or pack with 6" of mineral wool held in chicken wire. Leave no gaps.
2. Solid floors - a Celotex/Kingspan solution above them.
3. New double or triple glazing, external doors.
4. Carefully plug all air gaps. This is vital.
5. 9" of loft insulation

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Well, put it on, just to try it like......bloody thing wouldn't go back off! Had a new control box fitted at the start of the year and now the same problem again.
All this electrickery nonsense. life was so much easier when we used to burn witches to keep warm

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Heated gilet is the way to go!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Shorts all year round here, even in my icebox of a home.

The legs were out for the pre-dawn walk with the dog over the Downs this morning as ever. I find if my top half is wrapped up appropriately, my legs don't feel the cold.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Shorts all year round here, even in my icebox of a home.

The legs were out for the pre-dawn walk with the dog over the Downs this morning as ever. I find if my top half is wrapped up appropriately, my legs don't feel the cold.
I went to Leonardslee Gardens yesterday afternoon ….shorts and t shirt in a cold wind….madness I should have worn socks as well

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've actually put on long trousers this evening. But please don't tell @LamieRobertson, I know I'd be such a disappointment amongst proper gardeners :down:
Has Mrs WZ made you a mug of hot chocolate yet?

I’ll admit to taking a fleece today…..just in case…but it remained in the van …..temps rise again Wednesday 18c? ….but rainy…..then fall away at the wkd

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Went on this morning. Strict orders to the three ladies in the house to keep the windows & doors SHUT!!!!
Mine isn’t working :facepalm: :moo: FFS
Electrical problem though, Nest thermostat decided to pack up just as October went from late summer temperatures to cold on Saturday evening.
Glad I’ve got an immersion heater in my Megaflow.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Mine isn’t working :facepalm: :moo: FFS
Electrical problem though, Nest thermostat decided to pack up just as October went from late summer temperatures to cold on Saturday evening.
Glad I’ve got an immersion heater in my
These people are a big help for old people like yourself….take care

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
These people are a big help for old people like yourself….take care

Go Away GIF

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Got this text from Mrs Giraffe at 7.30pm tonight “It’s 19 degrees in the living room so I’ve put the heating on. I’ve set an alarm to turn it off in an hour”

I was upstairs putting the 3 year old to bed. I immediately rushed downstairs and lit the log burner and turned the heating off. No need for it until December. That’s my aim. For the planet. And my bank statement.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Got this text from Mrs Giraffe at 7.30pm tonight “It’s 19 degrees in the living room so I’ve put the heating on. I’ve set an alarm to turn it off in an hour”

I was upstairs putting the 3 year old to bed. I immediately rushed downstairs and lit the log burner and turned the heating off. No need for it until December. That’s my aim. For the planet. And my bank statement.

You sound like my Dad. Their hallway wall thermostat the scene of a game, my Mum turns the CH on, my Dad turns it off when she’s not looking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here