Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2023/24 edition)

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Naah. Not yet. Prefer to just snuggle under a blanket before thinking about putting the heating on, can get through to Christmas without the heating that way, it comes on at Christmas for a 'treat' though.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Our new Vaillant boiler came with a thermostat timer unit that is insanely more complicated than the old twiddly dial. Mrs Cottager is currently away on holiday in 20°+ heat so I predict she'll want the heating on when she gets back. Only 'problem' is that I put the instructions for the thermostat/ timer somewhere safe and cannot find them now! While there is a QR code on the unit for the online instructions, I doubt she'll be bothered to look them up so, for now, I win an early battle in the thermostat war.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Our new Vaillant boiler came with a thermostat timer unit that is insanely more complicated than the old twiddly dial. Mrs Cottager is currently away on holiday in 20°+ heat so I predict she'll want the heating on when she gets back. Only 'problem' is that I put the instructions for the thermostat/ timer somewhere safe and cannot find them now! While there is a QR code on the unit for the online instructions, I doubt she'll be bothered to look them up so, for now, I win an early battle in the thermostat war.
Had the same issue with the 'safe place' for the thermostat instructions 😊 Downloaded them off the interweb in the end! As you say, twiddly dial much simpler😁

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
15c in the child's room Sunday morning and as last night was set to be colder we bucked and set it to come on this morning. Thoughts and prayers to my bank balance, think I owe them about £600 still

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have succumbed to wearing slippers in the kitchen (Karndean flooring on concrete and a bit chilly). No heating yet and still in shorts though :thumbsup:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It got a bit chilly yesterday, but I did still manage my morning sea swim.
Put the heating on today for the first time, lovely!
As per Watford, I’ve still got shorts on.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Dipped as low as 0.7C last night, according to my weather station, and it was just over 15C in the study (a little annex off the side of the house) when I opened it up this morning.

It is now up to 18.9C in here, with the Vaillant working to a target flow temperature of 57C, so happily working in condensing mode. The thermostat is set to target temperatures of 22C or lower throughout the day with the aim of keeping the temperature within the thermal envelope of the building fairly constant.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Have succumbed to wearing slippers in the kitchen (Karndean flooring on concrete and a bit chilly). No heating yet and still in shorts though :thumbsup:
Slippers! Wimp!

Ok I’ll admit to getting the winter duvet out of the cupboard halfway through the night

Shorts? Yep still in them for work ..I’ll go long at end of month

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Sleeves have been rolled down at work. It’s not the summer any more.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The house was around 17.3° this morning.

It’s now made to 18° with no help.

Hopefully, it’ll hit 20° by the end of the day.

Just need to make it to Wednesday without pressing the button and those warm
15° nights will return.
Indeed, mini cold snap. I'll try and hold out for another month

actually i have one of those. despite having a complex layout, you may not actually be able to use the thermostat control to turn on/off the central heating, you may have to do that on the boiler itself. The thermostat basically has off, manual, auto modes that allow you to set the on/off times. On mine on the boiler, i select radiator then it shows the default temperature of 75%, if you then keep clicking down once it gets to 50 the next option is off. So to turn it back on i just set the temperature back to 75 (my house is old and inefficient so i need max temperature, newer house can usually get away with 68-70)

Dipped as low as 0.7C last night, according to my weather station, and it was just over 15C in the study (a little annex off the side of the house) when I opened it up this morning.

It is now up to 18.9C in here, with the Vaillant working to a target flow temperature of 57C, so happily working in condensing mode. The thermostat is set to target temperatures of 22C or lower throughout the day with the aim of keeping the temperature within the thermal envelope of the building fairly constant.
wow 22C - thats high...Mine was same but i reduced it to 20.5C last winter and my smart meter showed me i was saving over £1 a DAY by that 1.5C reduction

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do think the money I spent on cavity wall insulation last winter was a complete waste - I can see no sign that it's made any difference at all.

It was 15.3 degrees in the living room, where the Hive thermostat is, when I got up to walk the dog at 6:15 this morning. I gave the heating a 1-hour boost as Mrs B gets up at 7:00 and has a shower, and I knew she'd appreciate a bit of additional warmth.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
wow 22C - thats high...Mine was same but i reduced it to 20.5C last winter and my smart meter showed me i was saving over £1 a DAY by that 1.5C reduction

Ah! I think you missed the point that it isn't set to 22C all day - the thermostat I have allows me to vary the target temperature throughout the day. It is set lower than 22C a lot of the time.

It is currently a comfy 19.3C in the study, the target temperature on the thermostat in the living room is 21C, and the boiler is not on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here