Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2023/24 edition)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My electricity unit rate is 27.66p per kWh. I thought it was about 45p. It seems a lot lower. Has the price come down a lot ?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
My electricity unit rate is 27.66p per kWh. I thought it was about 45p. It seems a lot lower. Has the price come down a lot ?
Who are you with? I'm on 28.10p compared with 49p in April and 29p last month with EON so yeah significantly cheaper, than it was unit wise. Still bloody expensive bills though! My portable heater came out today and I tend to have a hot water bottle on the go in the day time as wfh and trying to hold out on the actual heating going on for another few weeks!! (ps if anyone fancys a referral code to switch feel free to pm me both get 50 notes of credit ;))

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Who are you with? I'm on 28.10p compared with 49p in April and 29p last month with EON so yeah significantly cheaper, than it was unit wise. Still bloody expensive bills though! My portable heater came out today and I tend to have a hot water bottle on the go in the day time as wfh and trying to hold out on the actual heating going on for another few weeks!! (ps if anyone fancys a referral code to switch feel free to pm me both get 50 notes of credit ;))
I'm with EDF

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure of our electricity rate, but our gas rate is now about 7p, Last winter it was about 10.25p.

Whilst that's quite a reduction, we all got £400 back from the government last winter that we'll not be getting this year.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not yet but once it drops below 17 in the house , it will come on automatically .
Is the correct answer. . . .

Mrs Zef may sneak it up, and I'll knock it down. . . . 18.5 ends up being the happy medium.

At this time of year damp is more of a reason to implement heat.

Burning free stuff is my favorite. Redundant scrap, like tory councillors.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
C/H and water 05-00 till 05-30 chill off the rooms plus plenty of H/W only two of here so budget costs and should it need to go on because like many we are in a good credit situation.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Still holding firm. It may seem colder because of all the rain but in reality it barely is from a couple of weeks ago. I’m determined to make it to November at least.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Got this text from Mrs Giraffe at 7.30pm tonight “It’s 19 degrees in the living room so I’ve put the heating on. I’ve set an alarm to turn it off in an hour”

I was upstairs putting the 3 year old to bed. I immediately rushed downstairs and lit the log burner and turned the heating off. No need for it until December. That’s my aim. For the planet. And my bank statement.
But not necessarily in that order.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Holding out for another week, nights still mild

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Our gas CH went on for a little while on Saturday night as MrsBC and her sister and elderly mum returned from a visit to the (warm) ancestral homeland, but it's been off since.

We're getting a smart meter fitted today but only electricity.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Ours hasn't been back on since that single hour of boost on the very cold morning a few days ago.

House currently at 20.5 downstairs just from normal living (showers, toaster, people, etc.)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not on yet. I'm still in shorts at the moment. It won't go on until it's time to switch to trousers

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Have our Granddaughter for a few days over the half term so Mrs G in her wisdom decided we should have the heating on for a short while yesterday to ‘take the chill off’ never been below 17 C in our hallway and most days around 30 C in our conservatory which I rebuilt over the last year with double glazed units and rock wall insulation in the gap between the plasterboard stud walls and the exterior wood walls ( recycled cedar tongue and groove first skin) covered with breathable roofing felt then the final skin of redwood shiplap timber. Needless to say I like being warm at my age so tend to spend the majority of the day in there and only really go in the house when it’s bedtime.
In the past two weeks I have painted all the outside brickwork on our bungalow with Stormdry masonry protection cream (£400 for 20litres)which is supposed to waterproof the brickwork whilst still allowing the walls to ‘breathe’ as Mrs G always found our spare bedroom a little damp ! A previous owner had had cavity wall insulation installed which I suspect is inferior quality and may be retaining moisture and wicking across the cavity ! So with luck this may reduce any problem there is.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Log burner has been lit the last few nights, but no heating on yet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not on yet. I'm still in shorts at the moment. It won't go on until it's time to switch to trousers
I'm team #ShortsAllYearRound

My legs were out for the pre-dawn dog walk on the Downs this morning and that will be the case right through the winter.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Long trousers end of month (probably) as I feel a bit of a twit going shopping after work wearing shorts in November ..having said that if the weather is something like today I’ll put up with looking like a twit

Slightly off topic clocks alter this wkd groan

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm considering further ways to retain heat in the study, which is a small single storey extension off of one side of the house, and therefore the coldest room. I've already insulated as much as possible. I'm going to stick some reflective foil behind the radiator, and am also considering giving the external brickwork a coat of Stormdry to prevent the wall getting damp.

Anybody have any experience using Stormdry?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here