Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Just moved from a flat to a house and wow is it colder. we have the heating on in the morning and evening and i am still wearing 2 jumpers. Think the double glazing is very old. Can't afford double glazing, or heating, but my budget will stretch to a blanket. I am actually thinking of getting an electric blanket for the first time. Are they expensive?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Just moved from a flat to a house and wow is it colder. we have the heating on in the morning and evening and i am still wearing 2 jumpers. Think the double glazing is very old. Can't afford double glazing, or heating, but my budget will stretch to a blanket. I am actually thinking of getting an electric blanket for the first time. Are they expensive?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We don't really bother heating our bedroom, but Mrs BS has an electric blanket for the bed - its therefore a bit chilly getting undressed, but toasty warm jumping into bed.

I've said I can think of other ways to warm the bed up without needing an electric blanket, but Mrs BS said she'd rather pay for the electric...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Had the heating on since Saturday, after recent cold and wet days things drift down to 16c. That's a bit uncomfortable. Predicted to get cold in December, that's when the real pain arrives

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Finally succumbed at the weekend - but only on for an hour before the missus goes to work at 4am, and an hour in the evening if necessary.
Still managing to cope with just putting on a hoodie, or using a blanket, for the most part though.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Gave in last night, put the heating on for an hour. Lifted the temperature from 15C to 16C. Reckon it will go on again tonight!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A few observations about heating, or my heating anyway.

1. it's like turning an oil tanker. It takes a fair while for the heating to get the temperature moving in the right direction. A half-hour blast achieves nothing. This morning it was 13.7 degrees when it kicked in at 6:15am. An hour later, at 7:15am, it had only reached 14.6 degrees.

2. ...however once it's moving it keeps going. After the heating turns off, the temperature tends to rise by another 1.0-1.5 degrees as the residual heat in the radiators keeps on giving.

3. The thermostat, Hive in my case, doesn't tell the full story, As someone said on this thread a few days ago, we can feel warmer at a lower temperature than other times when we feel cold at a higher temperature. I think it essentially comes down to whether the heating is on or not. With a heat source causing the temperature to be on the rise we tend to feel warmer than if the heating is off and the temperature is cooling.

4. My house is clearly a "cold house", downstairs anyway. Upstairs is well toasty in comparison. How much of that comes down to lack of cavity wall insulation, I do not know, but I have a quote for that now to consider. Looking back at last year in the Hugo Energy app, we'd use c200kWh of gas on colder days. We're up to 60 already today - it won't be long before we're in three digits again. Those mild early November days feel like a long time ago 😂

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Fella at work said he won't be wfh in a hurry again. No gas in his gaff (flat) and he had the heating on all day at a total cost of £10.

@SK1NT we got a leccy blanket for £30. Not quite a full fit, but no need to switch it up to the max either. One in the duvet too would be f***ing lovely.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We had an extension built when we 1st moved in and the old doris who was 99 when she died in the house had all the insulation done by the council. The house is well insulated and seems at the moment to stick around 18 degrees. Heating has kicked in for the last couple of days for around an hour in the morning and the bungalow seems to retain the warmth throughout the day and evening. Thermostat currently showing 19.5

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
We had an extension built when we 1st moved in and the old doris who was 99 when she died in the house had all the insulation done by the council. The house is well insulated and seems at the moment to stick around 18 degrees. Heating has kicked in for the last couple of days for around an hour in the morning and the bungalow seems to retain the warmth throughout the day and evening. Thermostat currently showing 19.5
Wish we could get away with 19.5. Mrs starts getting angsty if it drops below 21. She'd rather starve than be cold, apparently 🤣

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
A few observations about heating, or my heating anyway.

1. it's like turning an oil tanker. It takes a fair while for the heating to get the temperature moving in the right direction. A half-hour blast achieves nothing. This morning it was 13.7 degrees when it kicked in at 6:15am. An hour later, at 7:15am, it had only reached 14.6 degrees.

2. ...however once it's moving it keeps going. After the heating turns off, the temperature tends to rise by another 1.0-1.5 degrees as the residual heat in the radiators keeps on giving.

3. The thermostat, Hive in my case, doesn't tell the full story, As someone said on this thread a few days ago, we can feel warmer at a lower temperature than other times when we feel cold at a higher temperature. I think it essentially comes down to whether the heating is on or not. With a heat source causing the temperature to be on the rise we tend to feel warmer than if the heating is off and the temperature is cooling.

4. My house is clearly a "cold house", downstairs anyway. Upstairs is well toasty in comparison. How much of that comes down to lack of cavity wall insulation, I do not know, but I have a quote for that now to consider. Looking back at last year in the Hugo Energy app, we'd use c200kWh of gas on colder days. We're up to 60 already today - it won't be long before we're in three digits again. Those mild early November days feel like a long time ago 😂
Definitely noticed 3 - sometimes I let the temperature drop a bit more, just so the radiators then get hotter. It does feel more cosy. Maybe because I grew up with the cold/hot cycles of a coal fire and no other heating!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Had 4 not-all-that-old-but-defunct storage heaters decommisioned yesterday and replaced with 4 wizzy new programmable panel heaters. They heat my ancient flat so efficiently I've had to program them to do the absolute minimum. Dimplex PLX200E if anybody's interested.

Also, if anybody's interested, before I post them on freecycle, am now proud owner of 48 good-looking storage heater bricks that weigh a bloody ton. Computer says they could be turned into a nifty pizza oven or something. Free to good home, or even bad home. Send us a PM and they're yours :thumbsup:

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Have dialed down thermostat 1 degree, presume this won't make too much of a difference to either house temperatures or our Gas bill!

This week end sees me laying down our first wood fire in the Fireplace for Autumn. Bought a load of seasoned timber last year plus stuff we didn't burn from a couple of years ago so log store pretty full.

Draw the curtains, set the Fire and watch Netflix until the end of February seems like a plan.*

* Aside from me having to go out on site several days a month...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Just decided to check my bills to see how the heat pump is getting on.

Averaging 20KWh a day for the last month but that includes 2 or 3 car charges. Thermostats are set to a comfortable 20, water cylinder goes on once a day.

Pretty decent IMHO, I could probably knock a degree or 2 off the stat and save a few quid but I'd honestly rather be comfortable at home (and more importantly the missus and kids be comfortable)

There's health considerations at play here, being cold for long periods puts you at greater risk of getting ill.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
21?!? That's got to be stick a jumper on territory hasn't it?
Who in their right mind insists on 21 degrees indoors at this time of year? That's a decent Spring/Summer temperature outdoors shirley? Frankly if you or yours insist on your indoors being maintained at a balmy 21 degrees 24/7 throughout our (so far) moderate Autumn/Winter, then IMHO you deserve every last penny of your £3k energy bill :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here