Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Before we moved in to our house 20 years ago (Edwardian Terrace) I noticed some holes in the external wall. So, I asked the Conveyancing folk to ask the seller if it had cavity wall insulation. The response, rather bizarrely, was along the lines of 'that's up to the buyer to find out'. I still wonder what that meant, as how better to find out than ask the owner??! Still don't know if it has had it or not, but when we had an energy assessment a while back they told us it wouldn't be worth doing anyway, as we didn't have enough wall on that side of the house.
The insulation surveyor chap who visited us today drilled very small holes to assess if we already had it or not. The assumption beforehand was the main part of the house wouldn't, but the newer extension would. It transpired that neither part has it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
14.7 degrees and you're wearing shorts? Blimey. My legs don't appear till it's in the 20s.
I'm in shorts all-year round really. I'll walk the dog before dawn on the Downs in the winter months when it's sub-zero and still wear shorts. As long as my top half is well wrapped up, I'm fine.

I also run every day, all year round, and always wear shorts. I don't even own any running trousers/tights/whatever they're called.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The insulation surveyor chap who visited us today drilled very small holes to assess if we already had it or not. The assumption beforehand was the main part of the house wouldn't, but the newer extension would. It transpired that neither part has it.
he should also be checking there’s no evidence of any debris in the cavity and doing random spots around to check this. Also should be getting a proper assessment that all your pointing is in good shape too with no cracks or defects. Main problems for CWI is debris in the cavity that moisture can get across even easier if insulation is present, and defects in the external pointing/brickwork that means excessive wind driven rain can get into the cavity and soak the insulation. Too many insulation installers don’t check and that’s why so many insulation companies offer CWI extraction as well as installation.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The insulation man visited this morning.

There's no cavity wall insulation in the front of our house, which we kinda expected. However, the extension at the back - which we inherited with the house - is relatively new so would be expected to have insulation. It doesn't, which the chap was somewhat taken aback by.

He estimates we're currently losing c35% of our heat through the walls.

A quote for cavity wall insulation will be heading my way soon.
When we had the first phase of building works carried out in 2007, the very detailed spec (in a RICS JCT contract I’d obtained) spelt out insulation on certain outside walls. We were away for a week in the middle of the contract, they used the opportunity to not insulate at all. I caught them out when climbing into tiny loft spaces which led to the studwork walls in question. Blatant cost saving by them.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Blatant cost saving by them.
Conversely, when I had work done on the house I’d bought to deal with extensive damp and internal condensation and cracks in gable wall, in trying to source the damp, I’d discovered the previous owner had been conned into paying to have insulation done which wasn’t needed/appropriate - I had a great time phoning up the damp proofing company which had done the work and giving them a right bollocking down the phone - the reason for my very wet/damp walls was that insulation foam had been injected into the entire length of the gable wall and a thick concrete render layer added to the external gable wall (to damp proof it) - and compounding the issue, new cement plaster added internally and externally over the years to deal with the consequential damp along with more cement render piled on externally over the years to bandage over resulting cracks.

Great if you have external cavity walls but (duh!) not so good for C17th 3ft solid limestone walls with a flint surface layer - that need to breathe! And wtf is the point of putting expanding foam into solid chalk and limestone walls anyway? - Money grabbing morons.

Once I had the external concrete render with its numerous layers of plastic based paint stripped back and replaced with lime render (as the ‘sacrificial‘ layer) starting 12 inches up from the wall base and repointed the flints underneath with lime mortar, the inside walls stripped back and repainted with lime based paint, the house started to breathe again, dried out from condensation and damp, was much warmer and the woodburner started to do its job of keeping the house dry in winter - removing the PVC framed windows and replacing with solid oak ones also helped.

Beware of damp contractors and insulation companies offering the wrong kind of insulation!

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
17c indoors and still no heating yet, but the mild air has all gone now. It give go on this week for sure...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This may be the game-changer, normal Nov/early Dec weather is on its way [we recorded 20.6c last Saturday!].
7E72F1B3-FCAC-4D37-B10D-D641FD9F0B96.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've been giving it quite regular, but short-ish, runouts...

1. Mrs B feels the cold a lot more than me.
2. Our house seems to have no wall insulation (en route to being resolved, hopefully) which means our house temperature generally seems to be 2-3 degrees cooler than others who have been posting on here in recent weeks.
3. Getting laundry dry is almost impossible without some extra heating, both general stuff but also my running kit. I've been absolutely drowned by rain on each of the last two days and each pair of running shoes was completely sodden and would take days (weeks?) to dry out without some help.

We are averaging 25 kWh of gas per day thus far this month. Last November we averaged 92 kWh per day.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
We've been giving it quite regular, but short-ish, runouts...

1. Mrs B feels the cold a lot more than me.
2. Our house seems to have no wall insulation (en route to being resolved, hopefully) which means our house temperature generally seems to be 2-3 degrees cooler than others who have been posting on here in recent weeks.
3. Getting laundry dry is almost impossible without some extra heating, both general stuff but also my running kit. I've been absolutely drowned by rain on each of the last two days and each pair of running shoes was completely sodden and would take days (weeks?) to dry out without some help.

We are averaging 25 kWh of gas per day thus far this month. Last November we averaged 92 kWh per day.
Appreciate it uses energy but can’t recommend a dehumidifier enough. Drying washing indoors without heating is now a 24hr, rather than a 72hr process. I was sceptical but mine (a Meaco Arete) needs emptying once a day and really makes a difference.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Appreciate it uses energy but can’t recommend a dehumidifier enough. Drying washing indoors without heating is now a 24hr, rather than a 72hr process. I was sceptical but mine (a Meaco Arete) needs emptying once a day and really makes a difference.
Do you run it 24/7?

A random search brings up this - https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/...in Ltd&utm_medium=webgains&refsource=webgains - which runs at 216 W, so the electricity costs could ramp up quite quickly.

A friend swears by a heated clothes airer, which has a cover over it. I do wonder where all the moisture goes though!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I run a Meaco ddl8 junior on off peak elec…..that along with a heated airer seems to help big time with getting the washing dry ….i also have a metre long .5 metre deep hanging thing (on the wall ) over the biggest rad in the house (small airers over the others) that helps when heating is on

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I work in a garden office which is snug enough after 15 mins with a little portable radiator. I just went inside the house to grab a cuppa and my bloody smart meter had decided the house should be warm. No idea what time it came on but my empty house is lovely and warm. Maybe last Wednesday when the mother In law was here and tweaked it on at that time my non so smart meter thought it would help us out. Little sod.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We've got daffodil bulbs appearing in our garden and it's only mid November! I think it's quite possible we won't need the heating on this winter at all.

The joys of global warming.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here