[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2022/23 edition)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just had my recent bill - suddenly the 13 degrees in my house feels quite cosy šŸ˜‚

luge

Dec 18, 2010
even though the thermo says the same, im starting to notice the cold now. Heating on incoming.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Do you run it 24/7?

A random search brings up this - https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/arete20l/meaco-arete20l--dehumidifier?wgu=272125_196673_16685964606714_a762c8a32c&wgexpiry=1700132460&utm_source=RedBrain Ltd&utm_medium=webgains&refsource=webgains - which runs at 216 W, so the electricity costs could ramp up quite quickly.

A friend swears by a heated clothes airer, which has a cover over it. I do wonder where all the moisture goes though!

We do, but it switches to low output when within 10% of target and clicks off altogether at 3% below target. The one weā€™ve got has a HEPA 13 filter as well, so it does a bit of air purification too. Iā€™ve noted fewer days with a slightly congested feeling since I started running it.

If I want I can set the target humidity to allow a higher level of humidity, and then it will click off sooner.

I live in a damp property in a damp part of the country (humidity levels around 70-75 without the dehumidifier, which is damper than is healthy) and Iā€™ve found I generally feel better with less humidity in the air. As such I set the target for 45% humidity and at my place in autumn/winter itā€™s on low for 90% of the time, but rarely clicks off completely during the cooler/damper months. Thereā€™s definitely an energy cost, Iā€™d say since the most recent price rise its probably adding around Ā£15/20pcm to the energy bill, but I could set the target up to 50 or even 55 humidity to lessen the cost. Mine seems effective throughout the entire house, and Iā€™d say (anecdotally) less moisture in the air makes the house feels slightly warmer as well.

Iā€™m emptying almost 5 litres of water from it a day. If youā€™re closer to Brighton (and you donā€™t keep the windows open all winter) then set to 50% humidity youā€™ll probably find it on about half the time after the first few days, only on its low setting. It will usually crank up to high if someoneā€™s having a hot shower and filling the bathroom with steam.

TL/DR:- it wonā€™t run at full power all the time, and the acceptable level of humidity in the air is user configurable.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For the first time this year gave it a one hour boost, (not because we're cold, but Mrs Wz said we should 'test it'.) So one hour, Ā£2 quid and everything feels a little strange (or warm, according to Mrs Wz ???)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Nearly had to turn it on when the old mum came round but got the kids to fetch her a blanket instead.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've just turned ours onto boost for the first time. Due to the fact I hit a massive flood on the way home in Hassocks and hydrolocked my car air intake. Needed help from 3 people to push it out of said flood so the heating is on to try and dry out my footwear so it might be dry in time for my 5am start tomorrow morningšŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬. My main concern is hoping water didn't make it into the cylindersšŸ˜¢

My thanks go to the 3 heros who helpedšŸ‘

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ā£2 for 1hr?
Blimey šŸ˜¦

Is that a "Blimey - that's cheap!", or "Blimey - that's a lot!"?

Ours is broadly similar, possibly a tad less.

Yesterday...

2 * 15 mins hot water
1hr 55mins heating

Total usage for the day: 40kWh of gas @ 10.33p / kWh.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We've been giving it quite regular, but short-ish, runouts...

1. Mrs B feels the cold a lot more than me.
2. Our house seems to have no wall insulation (en route to being resolved, hopefully) which means our house temperature generally seems to be 2-3 degrees cooler than others who have been posting on here in recent weeks.
3. Getting laundry dry is almost impossible without some extra heating, both general stuff but also my running kit. I've been absolutely drowned by rain on each of the last two days and each pair of running shoes was completely sodden and would take days (weeks?) to dry out without some help.

We are averaging 25 kWh of gas per day thus far this month. Last November we averaged 92 kWh per day.
Have you got the space for a tumble dryer and would you want one?

I recently bought a new A++ heat pump dryer for Ā£450, itā€™s easy to spend 2 or 3 times that on not superior German t/dā€™s. Itā€™s rated highly by Which? Without it, our house in the wet months would have laundry everywhere.

Iā€™ve got the willpower to not lazily use it on good drying days.

Each full load uses 2.17kWH or 74p.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
even though the thermo says the same, im starting to notice the cold now. Heating on incoming.
Strange isn't it? Now we've all started watching thermometers and worrying about turning the heating on, sometimes it feels cold but the thermometer says it's 19 or 20 degrees, other times you feel warm enough even if the temperature has droped a bit.

I recently switched the heating on, wirh the thermostat set to 18.5 degrees (it only goes up a degree at a time, but always at half degree levels - 17.5, 18.5, 19.5 etc.) Last night it came on for the frst time - so I turned it down to 17.5 - can't be doing with all that 18.5 degree luxury!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've just turned ours onto boost for the first time. Due to the fact I hit a massive flood on the way home in Hassocks and hydrolocked my car air intake. Needed help from 3 people to push it out of said flood so the heating is on to try and dry out my footwear so it might be dry in time for my 5am start tomorrow morningšŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬. My main concern is hoping water didn't make it into the cylindersšŸ˜¢

My thanks go to the 3 heros who helpedšŸ‘
You need a boot drier.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The only ā€˜best buyā€™ mentioned in the latest Which?

FB181005-8F32-4217-BFD2-E929D92743F9.jpeg

Ailema

Oct 26, 2022
Caved for the first time last night. Aiming to keep it off all day, just a blast in the evening if needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports