Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you had Covid?

Have you had Covid?

• Total voters

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Sorry if it's been said before but why no "don't know" option in the poll? Most of my household had symptoms way back in 2020 but there was little testing then so they will never know if it was covid or something else.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I had Covid in the summer and am still not fully over it yet.

I had 2 jabs, no underlying health issues yet after a week was unconscious on the lounge floor, in hospital for a week, blood/oxygen at 85, it was truly awful.

I had 2 months off work, still not back 100% and still have loss of taste, and chest/breathing issues that have required several scans and checks to help resolve. Still going through that process so it’s ongoing.

I always wore a mask, worked at home, tried to limit my risks wherever possible, no flights etc etc

What gets me a bit is that it seems to polarise people’s views and plenty can get sanctimonious about it. Comments I have heard include things like ‘oh I had Covid, but it’s just like a bad cold or flu’ - it may be like that for some but it absolutely is not like that for everyone, so please don’t think your limited view covers all the examples. Another classic is ‘you only got it because you didn’t take care or were run down anyway’ - what bollocks that comment also is. Or another one from my brother in law ‘I have a really strong immunity hence why I didn’t catch it’ - bull**** again.

Covid seems to be used by some to express to the world how great their lifestyle is, how sensible they are in avoiding it, how knowledgeable they are about all aspects of Covid being just a glorified man flu, how strong they are in terms of immunity and, by definition, how crap you must be on all these fronts if you caught it.

That week in hospital was the worst of my life. When I look at football crowds, including on Wednesday, it makes me cringe seeing so many people almost tempting fate by ignoring basic steps to avoid catching it, probably the same people who are making the same comments as those quoted above.
I am sure I will speak for everyone here, get better soon mate.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Got it right now. Am fully jabbed up and suspect I caught it three days after the booster. That said I do not really have any symptoms more serious than the sniffles and the odd cough, I do not feel ill at all, so I suspect the vaccines have done their job. So get your jabs people, get your jabs.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
No I’ve never had it and listed as vulnerable.

3 Jabs or Pfizer and no issues

Could have been asymptomatic of course

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Coughing all night and feel rough this morning. Trying to get a lateral flow test, but couple of chemists Mrs Wz has tried don't have any.

Booked in for a PCR at Sussex Uni lunchtime (and triple jabbed).

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Has anybody ever met anyone how has had it asymptomatically? I’ve read that up to two thirds of people have it with no symptoms, but I think that’s complete nonsense. I know so many people who have had it, and all have had symptoms. I know you can say you wouldn’t know if you had it asymptomatically, but people are testing so much with lateral flows at the moment that surely it would have happened to somebody I know? Especially when I know at least twenty people who’ve had it with symptoms. I’m just not sure I believe it.

Yes, last Christmas I got pinged by the dreaded app on December 23rd and told to isolate until NYE. The guy I got the ping from I walk my dog with on a Sunday. He's a builder and was working at someone house and caught it from the couple whose house it was. They both suffered really badly. He felt nothing and passed it to his wife who also wouldn't have known unless she had got tested.

Thankfully I didn't have but I did take head of the self isolating and spent Christmas on the sofa on my own.

This year I've got it myself but only found out because I did an LFT before leaving on Wednesday. I'm certainly not asymptomatic though but I'm also not suffering too bad. Just feels like a cold at the moment. I had a bad stomach yesterday but that has pretty much resolved itself now. Ironically I think I picked it up at the doctors whilst getting my third jab I assumed as I wasn't feeling great it was just the side effects of the jab.

I'm allowed out Christmas eve so at least I won't be sharing a cracker with the dog again this year.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I selected yes, but "don't know" would be a better option.
We were all ill with similar symptoms in October. My wife and one daughter tested positive (lat flow and PCR), my other daughter and myself both tested negative (PCR and numerous lateral flows).
The only difference between mine and my wife's symptoms was that she lost her sense of smell.
Seems unlikely that I didn't have it with my two daughters coughing all over me at the time but would love to know for sure.

Do we know how likely re-infection with omicron is if you've had Delta? Have seen very little info on this.

Has anybody ever met anyone how has had it asymptomatically? I’ve read that up to two thirds of people have it with no symptoms, but I think that’s complete nonsense. I know so many people who have had it, and all have had symptoms. I know you can say you wouldn’t know if you had it asymptomatically, but people are testing so much with lateral flows at the moment that surely it would have happened to somebody I know? Especially when I know at least twenty people who’ve had it with symptoms. I’m just not sure I believe it.

Yes, similar thoughts on this - particularly with them reeling off stats of only x% of double-jabbed getting symptomatic infection with Delta. I know loads who've had it symptomatically.
My eldest daughter didn't have much in the way of symptoms, admittedly.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Yes, right now. Caught it in Finland, confirmed by a PCR last Sunday.

It’s no picnic. So very tired 24/7 (I rarely get that), the cough, restricted breathing.

Avoid if you can, take care.

Best wishes for a swift recovery mate.

Sorry I haven't PM'd you for a long time. I had a cyst in the end that needed removing so I felt bad for making such a drama last spring after I thought the worst. I was very fortunate.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Got pinged tested in the morning - negative, got pinged again in the afternoon- got two positive lateral flows .
PCR then negative next day.
All that week had cold syptoms -strange dry cough and lack of taste !
Next week got txt from gov.uk telling me that PCR result was in doubt -however enough time had elapsed and i was no out of isolation time ?
Brilliant ! just amazing did i or not ? i really dont know

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Got pinged tested in the morning - negative, got pinged again in the afternoon- got two positive lateral flows .
PCR then negative next day.
All that week had cold syptoms -strange dry cough and lack of taste !
Next week got txt from gov.uk telling me that PCR result was in doubt -however enough time had elapsed and i was no out of isolation time ?
Brilliant ! just amazing did i or not ? i really dont know

There was a theory and news report sometime that older PCR tests didn't always pick up Omicron. If the lab which processed the test wasn't using a newer test then the result could be false negative for Omicron. Your Government txt might back this idea up.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Not sure. I might have had it right at the start just before the first lockdown when they weren’t testing. I was ill with COVIDish symptoms, but maybe it was just a bad cold.

Same here. March last year, so no testing available unless hospitalised. Kid had a temperature for an evening over the first weekend of March, a few days later my Mrs had the same for a day, then a day later I had it - whole day with an elevated temperature. A week later one of our cats was at the vet having life-saving treatment with a symptom list that sounded an awful lot like Covid-induced immune system overdrive (and we now know that Covid jumps from humans to other species *very* easily). Cat had multiple organs going into shutdown, then once they got her condition stabilised and woke her up from induced coma she had respiratory issues that kept her in for an extra week of observations and recovery.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I had 2 jabs, no underlying health issues yet after a week was unconscious on the lounge floor, in hospital for a week, blood/oxygen at 85, it was truly awful.

I had 2 months off work, still not back 100% and still have loss of taste, and chest/breathing issues that have required several scans and checks to help resolve. Still going through that process so it’s ongoing.

I always wore a mask, worked at home, tried to limit my risks wherever possible, no flights etc etc

What gets me a bit is that it seems to polarise people’s views and plenty can get sanctimonious about it. Comments I have heard include things like ‘oh I had Covid, but it’s just like a bad cold or flu’ - it may be like that for some but it absolutely is not like that for everyone, so please don’t think your limited view covers all the examples. Another classic is ‘you only got it because you didn’t take care or were run down anyway’ - what bollocks that comment also is. Or another one from my brother in law ‘I have a really strong immunity hence why I didn’t catch it’ - bull**** again.

Covid seems to be used by some to express to the world how great their lifestyle is, how sensible they are in avoiding it, how knowledgeable they are about all aspects of Covid being just a glorified man flu, how strong they are in terms of immunity and, by definition, how crap you must be on all these fronts if you caught it.

That week in hospital was the worst of my life. When I look at football crowds, including on Wednesday, it makes me cringe seeing so many people almost tempting fate by ignoring basic steps to avoid catching it, probably the same people who are making the same comments as those quoted above.

Sorry to hear that mate, sounds awful.

Re the last comment though, I think it's gone on so long now that the people who aren't taking basic precautions are just at the stage of thinking that if they do get it they almost certainly won't have the experience you had, and it will be relatively minor. Not to mention the immunity they'd then get after recovering. The difference between now and the early stages of the pandemic are that the fear of catching the virus is far less for the majority of people, hence the lack of taking precautions. We clearly can't hide from this thing, it's going to get us all eventually, and a lot of people aren't prepared to put their lives on hold for it anymore, which I totally understand.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Its a lottery , sure lifestyle will will contribute heavily , but you just need to be standing near someone who has it to be at risk and you might only need to do that once.

Its also a lottery how hard it hits you , its just not unwell people who have it bad.

Clearly you can reduce the possibility of getting it (mask, hand gel AND no football, pub, cinema, shops etc) but you cannot eliminate it (ok you could by living a lone on an island).

My wife had it and was showing symptoms for at least a month (glass lungs on xray and a peculiar cough) , had 4 negative PCR tests before it developed seriously and went into ICU. I did not appear to have any symptoms , though did not test as this was very early days). She still has long Covid damage after 18 months.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Coughing all night and feel rough this morning. Trying to get a lateral flow test, but couple of chemists Mrs Wz has tried don't have any.

Booked in for a PCR at Sussex Uni lunchtime (and triple jabbed).

Good luck. Keep your chins up. (That's what the lovely Mrs ETM says to me when I'm worried about something).

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

The Lat flows are so unreliable, though - false negative rate is really high even in perfect lab conditions. Extrapolate out to non-Lab, DIY-at-home conditions and I would expect there's an awful lot of asymptomatic cases that simply never get discovered. Near-neighbours on our street had it earlier this year. Negative lat flows, positive PCRs. The parents were both symptomatic, so the PCR results were definitely trustworthy. He's a paramedic, so those negative lat flows came back despite being done by someone who knows what he's doing.

I believe the stats on the rate of asymptomatic infection are based on a regularly run "survey", where a large sample of the population are asked to take regular PCRs and report on symptoms. I've got in-laws who were invited to take part and have been doing the regular PCRs.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Responded 'No' to the poll but I did have a miserable cold last week and I've been coughing every day this week. All the LFTs I've done have been negative though so :shrug:

I'm triple jabbed too. Either this is "it" and the jabs are doing their job or it is just a bit of a cold.

Either way our little two person household has gone into a self-enforced lockdown regardless to ensure we can see some of the family at Christmas.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Responded 'No' to the poll but I did have a miserable cold last week and I've been coughing every day this week. All the LFTs I've done have been negative though so :shrug:

So get a PCR!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here