Have you ever played with a pro?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Played footy several times with Joel Lynch when I was younger, used to walk rings round him.... mind you I was about 16 and he would've been 11 or 12!

Played against (and more often than not had the unfortunate task of marking) Dean Hammond tow or three times a year from age 10 till 16 when he used to play for Spartan in Hastings with Chris McPhee.

I think the general feeling back then was that Chris was slightly the better prospect of the 2, although seeing as I used to mark Dean out of the game i'm not surprised! :p

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ian Chapman down the park when he was about 7
Carl Griffiths (ex Orient in 1997 during THAT match) on holiday in Cyprus about 5 years ago

Gehan Mendis when he fell out with Sussex in 1982
Sohail Tanvir a couple of years ago when he guested for us in a Cheshire Cricket game, little did I know he would be playing in the IPL final and be the leading wicket taker for the winning team.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Played with a guy who plays semi-pro for some team in Wales, he wasn't that fantastic to be honest. Also played with a couple of the Brighton Bears basketball players a few years ago when they still existed, they on the other hand were very good.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I played with Mick Harford in a pub car park in 1988.

He had just finished pushing over a stack of 2 pences for charity. My friend and I were having a kick-about with a tennis ball and he came out and requested a pass. I duly threaded a slide-rule pass through. He tried to control and failed.

He was wearing slip-ons, a bit pissed and generally rubbish.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Played footy several times with Joel Lynch when I was younger, used to walk rings round him.... mind you I was about 16 and he would've been 11 or 12!

Played against (and more often than not had the unfortunate task of marking) Dean Hammond tow or three times a year from age 10 till 16 when he used to play for Spartan in Hastings with Chris McPhee.

I think the general feeling back then was that Chris was slightly the better prospect of the 2, although seeing as I used to mark Dean out of the game i'm not surprised! :p

Chris looked great in the wembley final last month

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I played AGAINST the late Bobby Stokes a few years after he retired from football.

He couldn't run but was SUPERB, playing at sweeper.

Also played a charity game against Matt Le Tissier a few years ago and even if he had been wearing calipers he would still have been the best player on the pitch.

Enjoyed lots of kick abouts in Hove Park around 1978 with Mark Lawrenson when he lived in a club house at the bottom of The Droveway.......

We were usually on our way home from school and he was out walking the dog (great big old english sheepdog - we used to call it Dulux!).

He was FRIGHTENINGLY good

lyndon

Nov 12, 2006
i played footy with kevin mcgarrigle and mark ormerod down the park when they were both breaking into the 1st team. they were so good even without trying. however there were 4 of us against them 2 in hockey goals and we beat them, they weren't exactly trying their best though.

good times for sure.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Played against Paul Ifill and I've had a kickabout in the park with Kerry Mayo.

The albion would sometimes train on the pitches at Cardinal Newman School in Hove, my brother's claim to fame is that he saved a Dean Saunders penalty :D

Double Hard Bastard

Oct 16, 2006
I play on the odd Tuesday with ex Switzerland captain Raymond Vagor, cracking shot on him does he play the simple ball? Does he f***!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not just a mere pro ...

In an inter-college tournament in 1978 I played several times against a guy called Hassan Nayagaber (that isn't how you spell his surname, just a phonetic approximation). He was good, invariably the best player on the pitch, but then the standard wasn't terribly high. I was playing in the Worthing League at the time and I said to Hassan that he was definitely County League standard and that he ought to maybe give it a go.

That summer he played for Iran against Scotland in the 1978 World Cup.
You played against an Iranian student immediately before the revolution?

Yikes!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Steve Foster, Gary O'reilly and Dean Wilkins were regular visitors (and players) in our 8 a side games on the astro turf opposite the goldstone in the early 90's

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not footy, but a few golfers on here last year ( Woodingdean Gulls Society) had the fortune to have Tara Miller in their four ball ( ooh err missus). Tara plays on the Ladies Pro Tour and is the sister of one of the ladies at my work.( she is trying to get her card to play in the European Ladies LPGA tour)

Playing in the same group as scratch golfers can be intimidating, but ultimately very enjoyable ( especially as Tara is a very attractive 25 year old)

zoom

Mar 20, 2008
Played about 4 months ago with jake robinson and sam rents, Robinson was outta this world, saved one of his shots and it was literally like a rocket!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports