Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have I underestimated CH?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
But can we stick with a manager through thinner?

I hoping Tony's desire to stick with a manager, through thin and thinner.
Coupled with 59 year old Hughton, previously out of work for 18 months, will mean we finally have a manager capable of building a legacy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But can we stick with a manager through thinner?
You're forgetting Mr Hyypia had to resign to get away from Tony.
So yes the 'thin' can get considerably 'thinner' before Tony considers pulling the plug.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, I meant NSC!
Oh Christ no, we can't stick with a manager getting to the Play-offs.
Sir Alf wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes if faced with NSC's 'constructive' criticism.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
From what ive seen so far, ch can mabie over achieve with a group of good players. Which isnt as bad as looked under hyppier.
So if i was tony bloom id give him a good budget to spend on his own players.
i think he's deserved that ,for what he's done this season. Imo, a very very good job so far.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
From what ive seen so far, ch can mabie over achieve with a group of good players. Which isnt as bad as looked under hyppier.
So if i was tony bloom id give him a good budget to spend on his own players.
i think he's deserved that ,for what he's done this season. Imo, a very very good job so far.

Mabie hyppier wasn't given enuff thyme?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's 56. And he was out of work for 7 months not 18

Is he really? Blimey, I'd never have realised he was that old.

In an odd way, I don't think it's an entirely bad thing that our progress under Hughton has been steady rather than spectacular. If the team had suddenly started beating all-comers, as frequently seems to happen with the new manager bounce effect, then the hype going into next season would have been ridiculous, even with the decidedly thin squad we have. It would have disguised a lot of flaws in the current group. It rather feels now like he's getting the basics right, and working to set up a good platform from which to build over the summer. I imagine the board will back him to a reasonable degree once safety is mathematically assured and the players get to their summer break.

It'll also be fascinating to see what impact Hughton- and the loss of David Burke- has on summer signings too, both in terms of quality and timing.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Whilst this season has been a huge disappointment, I have this strange gut feeling next season won't be a play off push, it will be automatic promotion:clap:
Laugh now in vituperation all ye doubting Thomases, for thou shalt be laughing with exalted joy next May

My thoughts exactly. I will be putting £50 big ones on the Albion going up automatically 2015/16. Mid field will be amongst best in the league, defence needs rebuilding-new centre half, left back possibly right back....just need that goal scoring machine up front, if we buy Tex from the bin dippers and then make Lambert a season long loan as part of the deal.If not look to spunk £8 m on a Adam Le Fondre type :flamebounof goal scorer.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Is he really? Blimey, I'd never have realised he was that old.

In an odd way, I don't think it's an entirely bad thing that our progress under Hughton has been steady rather than spectacular. If the team had suddenly started beating all-comers, as frequently seems to happen with the new manager bounce effect, then the hype going into next season would have been ridiculous, even with the decidedly thin squad we have. It would have disguised a lot of flaws in the current group. It rather feels now like he's getting the basics right, and working to set up a good platform from which to build over the summer. I imagine the board will back him to a reasonable degree once safety is mathematically assured and the players get to their summer break.

It'll also be fascinating to see what impact Hughton- and the loss of David Burke- has on summer signings too, both in terms of quality and timing.
Absolutely. Chris is no 18 month flash-in-the-pan impact manager. He is a long term planner and will have signed up for the long haul. So the foundations come first.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts exactly. I will be putting £50 big ones on the Albion going up automatically 2015/16. Mid field will be amongst best in the league, defence needs rebuilding-new centre half, left back possibly right back....just need that goal scoring machine up front, if we buy Tex from the bin dippers and then make Lambert a season long loan as part of the deal.If not look to spunk £8 m on a Adam Le Fondre type :flamebounof goal scorer.

Interesting. I saw Le Fondre the other week when we played at Bolton. He looked lazy & disinterested for much of the game, not to mention that he appeared to be carrying a little timber. Funny sort of player. Clearly knows where the goal is, but at this level has only really scored prolifically when coming on as a sub. Never really seems to do much when he starts. Lower league flat track bully?

(I know you said "Le Fondre type" rather than specifically Le Fondre :) )

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
It's what you get with an experienced manager. He knew exactly what needed to be done and how to do it.

Hopefully this will apply for the greater challenge of our promotion push next season. He's done it before, but with a far bigger budget - but once he brings in his own players, who knows.

We have just about avoided relegation and the word promotion comes up, we have a good manager and a terrific stadium with a tight budget we shall be quite comfortable in the Championship and be able to attract a decent attendance.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Interesting. I saw Le Fondre the other week when we played at Bolton. He looked lazy & disinterested for much of the game, not to mention that he appeared to be carrying a little timber. Funny sort of player. Clearly knows where the goal is, but at this level has only really scored prolifically when coming on as a sub. Never really seems to do much when he starts. Lower league flat track bully?

(I know you said "Le Fondre type" rather than specifically Le Fondre :) )

Even this team creates chances, so our main concern as everyone knows is scoring. That's where the money has to go next season, my preference would be Lambert on a season long loan, even if this means spending above our wage structure, doable with CMS Agustien and the like moving on. As for Le Fondre he really is in no mans land at the moment. CH would get the best out of him, being on loan at Bolton would not do this, not for him or anyone else for that matter.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Even this team creates chances, so our main concern as everyone knows is scoring. That's where the money has to go next season, my preference would be Lambert on a season long loan, even if this means spending above our wage structure, doable with CMS Agustien and the like moving on. As for Le Fondre he really is in no mans land at the moment. CH would get the best out of him, being on loan at Bolton would not do this, not for him or anyone else for that matter.

Maybe. I'm not 100% convinced about Le Fondre at this level though. Also, I know Lambert may well move on, but I believe there would be plenty ahead of us in the queue for him :)

We don't absolutely know CMS will move on of course....I mean, I think it's likely, but it all depends what the manager thinks of him, and it seems he quite likes the fella.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Maybe. I'm not 100% convinced about Le Fondre at this level though. Also, I know Lambert may well move on, but I believe there would be plenty ahead of us in the queue for him :)

We don't absolutely know CMS will move on of course....I mean, I think it's likely, but it all depends what the manager thinks of him, and it seems he quite likes the fella.

Cms I'm sure is a top bloke, but he's a failure in front of goal at this level( which is a bit of a handicap for a striker)and out of contract this summer. Business is business so he's a gonner presumably. Lambert I would hope enjoyed his time on the south coast with Southampton and hopefully could be persuaded to return. The fine margins that are the difference of Championship winning teams means we absolutely must spend on a quality finisher and for me he fits the bill. why should any other team be more attractive if we were to match the wages? Hughton's cv for the championship is second to none, he's no smuck and would have laid down what he requires in this summers transfer dealings so providing TB match his requirements I'm convinced we will fly.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

CH wont go for Le Fondre. The striker he goes for will be in the age range of 20 to 28 and will be of a larger stature. Most of his PERMANENT signings in all positions tend to be within that age range with the odd exception

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
However, I am concerned that the passing, possesion based style is being slowly erroded.

The passing, possession game as in Stockdale to Dunk, Dunk to Bennett, Bennett to Dunk, Dunk to Greer, Greer to Stockdale, Stockdale to Bruno / Calde, Bruno / Calde to Greer, Greer to Jfc, Jfc back to Greer, Greer to Dunk, Dunk to Stockdale do you mean?

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The passing, possession game as in Stockdale to Dunk, Dunk to Bennett, Bennett to Dunk, Dunk to Greer, Greer to Stockdale, Stockdale to Bruno / Calde, Bruno / Calde to Greer, Greer to Jfc, Jfc back to Greer, Greer to Dunk, Dunk to Stockdale do you mean?

That was the thing I hated the most about the Hyppia era. I know we played possession under Gus/Oscar but it was never as bad as it was under Hyppia. I'm still not sure if that was how he wanted us to play or if Greer/Dunk/JFC literally had no other options than to have a kickabout at the back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here