Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have I underestimated CH?

His tactics are pretty solid. Yesterday he had the team playing as a unit, closing down the Blackburn midfield quickly and stopping the supply to Rhodes and Gestade when he came on. When Gestade came on it seemed to give Blackburn a huge lift and we did well to cope. However, what was clear to see was that Ince had been told to track Gestade where ever he went and this also helped to reduce his threat.
CH is tactically astute and a good defensive manager. I think our attacking threat needs working on but in CH's defence, we need better players up front to help him.

Funnily enough he reminds me much more of Gus's approach to football than the two actual Continentals we've had since. It's very heartening

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'm not quite in the CH is great camp just yet.... maybe a bit harsh of me, although he clearly knows what he is doing.

And the capture of Kayal certainly shows he can spot a player.

Its all going to be about player recruitment over the summer and specifically 2 strikers that can score 30 goals between them that will make or break him.

I have to say I wasnt over whelmed with his appointment, but hes doing a decent job of winning me around

I'm with you.

He has done alright but no better than I expected any half decent manger to have done. The squad wasn't as bad as Hyypia made it look, but he has got us organised.
Obviously going forward/scoring goals is going to need some time and work, but what norwich were saying about the forward line when he was there is a worry, especially with the best signing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not quite in the CH is great camp just yet.... maybe a bit harsh of me, although he clearly knows what he is doing.

And the capture of Kayal certainly shows he can spot a player.

Its all going to be about player recruitment over the summer and specifically 2 strikers that can score 30 goals between them that will make or break him.

I have to say I wasnt over whelmed with his appointment, but hes doing a decent job of winning me around
TBH I think I'll be happy enough just to start a season with the same manager we ended the previous one.

the home matches against Arsenal, Birmingham, Leeds, Derby, Forest and Ipswich in recent months have been some of the most entertaining/exciting matches we've seen at the Amex over the last four years.

For me the Arsenal game wasn't a patch on two years ago when we were genuinely competitive and we mugged Derby. I didn't see Ipswich alas but the one in there that really stands out and gives big hope for the future is the Leeds game - we utterly bossed a form team in a total manner that we haven't seen since the days of Gus's possession domination. 4 or 5 good signings in the summer with perhaps 1 or 2 real class ones could allow Hughton to get this level of performance out of us consistently.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
For me the Arsenal game wasn't a patch on two years ago when we were genuinely competitive and we mugged Derby. I didn't see Ipswich alas but the one in there that really stands out and gives big hope for the future is the Leeds game - we utterly bossed a form team in a total manner that we haven't seen since the days of Gus's possession domination.

Ipswich was terrific, probably best performance of season. Agreed my yardstick was entertaining games here rather than necessarily quality of performance as OP had suggested under Hughton that although results were better it was thought "not too exciting". To be fair for those who made it to the Reading and Millwall away games he is absolutely correct.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm with you.

He has done alright but no better than I expected any half decent manger to have done. The squad wasn't as bad as Hyypia made it look, but he has got us organised.
Obviously going forward/scoring goals is going to need some time and work, but what Norwich were saying about the forward line when he was there is a worry, especially with the best signing.

Norwich were playing in the Premiership against International defenders every week. You dont in the Championship.

Ask any Norwich fan and even thay couldnt deny that all of the Hughton signings were all good signings with the exception of Ricky Van Wolfswinkel; However CH told the Norwich Chief Executive that he wasnt actually worth the £8m they were about to pay for him but they signed him anyway because a lot of other top clubs were looking at him at the time.

He also told Norwich that Van Wolfswinkel would only be successful in England if they also signed a midfielder that could play good weighted searching balls over the top for VW to run on to, which they failed to do. The Norwich fans were fickle and still living in their Dual promotion paul Lambert dual promotion bubble. Hughton didn't stand a chance at Norwich, even though he took them to 11th in the premiership in his first season.

The only negative thing i would say is that he struggles for consistency sometimes but if he puts a squad together that starts well next year then confidence will breed the consistency.

So far he is fulfilling his remit of keeping us in the Championship. Next year he needs to sit down with TB and discuss how much desire TB has of getting to the Premiership. CH wants that badly to be there so how badly does TB want it. That is the question. Enough to put some inverstment in to get ther ? I hope so

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
To the OP - yes, yes you have.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ipswich was terrific, probably best performance of season. Agreed my yardstick was entertaining games here rather than necessarily quality of performance as OP had suggested under Hughton that although results were better it was thought "not too exciting". To be fair for those who made it to the Reading and Millwall away games he is absolutely correct.

The Ipswich game was scintillating, and was our best performance this season. Great goals, end-to-end action, and Tex running the show.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Palace are only allowed to post on Palace related threads.
Is that an actual rule? In which case I have to say I think that is an absolutely stupid rule. I can understand (some) people being upset by tedious Palace trolling but stopping visiting fans from making useful contributions is, well, it's not what I expected from NSC.

So I'm guessing Dale Fenner is a Palace fan then and thus isn't allowed to express a valid opinion as this thread isn't about Palace. Ok, I'll say it then: CH is a top class manager, and I think that a lot of you won't realise quite how good he is until he has moved on.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How tall is he? Looks tiny standing in the Amex technical area from my seat.

What does that matter. Shortism rears its ugly head!

I was cautiously optimistic when he was appointed, and have had no reason to be dissuaded from that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CH is a top class manager, and I think that a lot of you won't realise quite how good he is until he has moved on.
I hoping Tony's desire to stick with a manager, through thin and thinner.
Coupled with 59 year old Hughton, previously out of work for 18 months, will mean we finally have a manager capable of building a legacy.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I hoping Tony's desire to stick with a manager, through thin and thinner.
Coupled with 59 year old Hughton, previously out of work for 18 months, will mean we finally have a manager capable of building a legacy.

Chris isnt as old as 59. I think he was born in 1959 though

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here