Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have any of you ever been the subject of racial abuse?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Yep. I was called a filthy tight jew boy and threatened with a scoffold pole by some arrogant twat in the street

1. He didn't even know me, so made the assumtion due to 'my look' ( I suppose? )
2. It was the early hours , so he was either pissed / stoned / looking for trouble
3. I'm not Jewish
4. I didn't run to the police or my mum. I knew the bloke was being twat and walked off ( albeit rather briskly! ) and forgot about it.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Yes, before I started uni i worked in a powergen call centre.

Guy gave me some racist abuse, as he thought he was through to India again. I am completely English and white ?! :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is never acceptable to use the "n" word to describe a black player on the pitch...if that is indeed what Suarez did.
I thought he was accused of saying Negro? Which while not acceptable, is not the n word you refer to.

How I understand it is.

Gus was saying how can we, as english speakers, possibly comment on the meaning of a 'spanish' word and deem it racist? Which I think he has a point.
I don't think Gus has said much wrong (he may have poorly expressed his point), but I don't agree with this point. In this country, we shouldn't be saying things like f-off blackie, whitie, pastie, darkie etc. Just because someone's used a foreign word to say it doesn't make it any better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
my brother in law who is half carribean (third generation) when drinking in an afluent, rural village just outside of Guildford some of the abuse he was getting was absolutely shocking, after spending an hour listening to comments like 'its suddenly got dark in here' and 'i didnt think we got them lot round here' we suggested we went somewhere else
Shocking, I am guessing that they were just random small minded bigoted locals, rather than you having had the misfortune to stumble in on a branch meeting of the BNP.
Unfortunately I don't find that shocking, some villages near here are like that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However "Irish, Welsh, Ginger or whatever CU next tuesday" on a football field is not racist. The "Irish" element of such a statement is descriptive, the cu next tuesday is the bit that is the insult, not the "Irish" part of the statement. However trying to explain that to a person that listens to Talk Sport is about as impossible as teaching some english football fans that size is not relevant to how good a footballer you are.
:facepalm: perhaps it's not the Talk Sport listeners that need teaching. Calling someone a Ginger C*** is racist. It's not simply a descriptive word followed by an insult. If you wanted to swear at a fellow Englishman, you wouldn't say f off you white English c***, you'd just say f off you c***. Adding 'black' or 'ginger' is unnecessary description, and is part of the insult, and is racist. But try explaining that to someone who's dense.

to be honest I have seen gingers get the worst abuse at school etc.The girls were called ginger minge and ginger -unts etc....
Indeed, that's racist, yet here you are calling them gingers as if that's ok. That's like saying 'to be honest I've seen the chinks and ni***** get the worst abuse'.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I have, whilst I was at primary and secondary school. It was horrible and I have never felt so degraded in my life since. The aim of racial abuse is for one person to assert what they consider to be their superiority over another just because there skin colour is in the majority. I happened to be the only "coloured" kid in a school of Northerners in the 80s.

Over the years the British public has become more accepting of race whatever people may think. It has become completely unacceptable for racial abuse to take place through fans chanting in a football stadium at a black player for example. Although I recall times in the North stand in the Goldstone in the early 90s when it did happen and I felt very uncomfortable. Fortunately those days are gone.

I have read so much crap on NSC today about racism and whether Gus should be sacked or not...so many people leaping to his defence. For what it's worth, i dont think Gus is racist. There is an excuse that has been used a lot...oh they do things differently in different cultures and it takes time for players to adapt to life in the UK. Well, that may be the case, but, if you play, work, live in our country you play, work and live by our laws. It is never acceptable to use the "n" word to describe a black player on the pitch...if that is indeed what Suarez did. There is no defence for this behaviour and he should be punished accordingly if he is guilty.

I accept Suarez is from a different culture, but he should have been told that any kind of racial abuse and the use of any derogatory terms is not acceptable. I do not accept that the majority of people from other cultures think that it is acceptable to racially abuse people whether they are from Uruguay or somewhere else.

Based on how I cringe sometimes when I look back at the abuse I suffered, and how it was accepted as the norm, I have been really disappointed by Gus' comments as well as those of Sepp Blatter (although his are less surprising) effectively normalising racial abuse.

Racial abuse is not normal and the British society today no longer accepts it as such. If you're in our country you abide by our laws, no excuses.

Gus has let me down today; not by his attempt at sticking up for a mate, but by his attempt to normalise racial abuse.
Racial abuse is normal because it happens countless times every day of the year,it will never go away either.

Not as bad as it used to be but its always there

Feb 14, 2010
:facepalm: perhaps it's not the Talk Sport listeners that need teaching. Calling someone a Ginger C*** is racist. It's not simply a descriptive word followed by an insult. If you wanted to swear at a fellow Englishman, you wouldn't say f off you white English c***, you'd just say f off you c***. Adding 'black' or 'ginger' is unnecessary description, and is part of the insult, and is racist. But try explaining that to someone who's dense.

Indeed, that's racist, yet here you are calling them gingers as if that's ok. That's like saying 'to be honest I've seen the chinks and ni***** get the worst abuse'.

The fact that you could not bring yourself to quote my complete post says it all. Would you care to quote my enttre post and then try and lecture me on racism? Racism is the snide superior attitude that you get at rugby union where they have no black guys in the side, not calling someone an Irish, ginger or anything else cu next tuesday

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I lived in a real shit hole in North London for a year (Ponders End) and had quite a lot of racist abuse thrown my way. Black on White racism was quite prevalent from what I gathered. Although I've no doubt at all that it worked both ways. It didn't bother me much to be honest.

I live in a lovely, leafy part of Enfield now. Not had to deal with any racism.

It's not always the case but I generally equate racism to crap areas. The more affulent parts of the world don't seem to bother with it. Although of course I'm generalising.

Feb 14, 2010
I lived in a real shit hole in North London for a year (Ponders End) and had quite a lot of racist abuse thrown my way. Black on White racism was quite prevalent from what I gathered. Although I've no doubt at all that it worked both ways. It didn't bother me much to be honest.

I live in a lovely, leafy part of Enfield now. Not had to deal with any racism.

It's not always the case but I generally equate racism to crap areas. The more affulent parts of the world don't seem to bother with it. Although of course I'm generalising.

Quite the reverse. How many black guys are in the rugby union team? You moght get colourful language but deep seated racism with the snide superiority is more likely from the Rupert's and Arabella's of this world. But that is a generalisation of course

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Quite the reverse. How many black guys are in the rugby union team? You moght get colourful language but deep seated racism with the snide superiority is more likely from the Rupert's and Arabella's of this world. But that is a generalisation of course

Yep. There may well be a lot of truth in that. I think racism can exist in all walks of life. Let's not forget the nasty underclass in this country that think being White makes them better than anyone else they meet. The snide superiority of screaming 'I'm British!' I find toe curlingly embarrasing.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Yep, Experienced it, seen it, heard it, felt it, put up with it, fought it and dished it.

I have worked and played with some right nasty racists and challenged them. I known a racist bloke married to a black girl and a white racist woman married to a black bloke.

The worst racism takes place behind your back and you might not know it. People being nice to your face and then racist when you are out the way. I've had a few mates who are racist to anyone who was different to them in looks or voice but were ok to anyone that fitted in. Most of the BNP/NF ones I met were just a bit dim and the clever ones were just really mixed up. The nasty vile ones always got their comeuppance somehow.

You can think whatever you want but Gus is very ignorant to say what he did. Any reference to a persons colour or creed etc is plainly an attempt to get at the other person and doing it on the pitch is no excuse or where do you draw the line Is "my little person with a dead daughter" ok to say to someone after all you can shake hands after? I know someone who regularly gets called a "Paki" on the pitch to try to get at him, He is not Indian or Pakistani so why would you say it?

The whole "i can't be a racist because I have black friends is rubbish also as racism takes many forms. I have been in shops where black or asian have been told something is not in stock only to see someone buy the very item 5 mins later. I have seen staff in some places totally ignore blacks or asians to avoid dealing with them and then say they can't understand them yet with a bit of patience I have managed to deal with them. Those same staff also seem to treat disabled or challenged people in similar ways also.

The stuff I've dished out was absolutely nothing and in said retaliation - you would have to be there to fully understand the context but any outsider would be shocked.

I would say that if someone has the balls to bring it up it must have been bad and Gus should have a word with Suarez or keep his nose out of it.

We should be aiming to get it right out of the game

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The fact that you could not bring yourself to quote my complete post says it all.
What? I didn't miss anything relevant out, I wasn't editing your quote to alter it at all, I was just saving space and making it clear what I was replying to.

Would you care to quote my enttre post and then try and lecture me on racism? Racism is the snide superior attitude that you get at rugby union where they have no black guys in the side, not calling someone an Irish, ginger or anything else cu next tuesday
I don't really need to lecture you, I'll just point out that you're wrong, racism is not limited to attitudes at rugby union, calling someone a black c*** is racist, and so is calling someone a ginger c***. So what was in your post that I missed out:
Half English, half something else. Members of family did and there used to be "no blacks & Irish" signs up. However "Irish, Welsh, Ginger or whatever CU next tuesday" on a football field is not racist. The "Irish" element of such a statement is descriptive, the cu next tuesday is the bit that is the insult, not the "Irish" part of the statement. However trying to explain that to a person that listens to Talk Sport is about as impossible as teaching some english football fans that size is not relevant to how good a footballer you are.
The bit that I didn't quote is not relevant to whether you understand what is and isn't racist. If you're Irish, black, white, Chinese, Jewish, or a mix of the lot, that doesn't mean you were born knowing what racism is and what it isn't.

Feb 14, 2010
Dealing in turn Trigaar
1. Ginger is not a race 2. Racism is more than a choice word, its a deep seated, nasty attitude as displayed by not one english born black guy in the rugby union team 3. We can agree to differ but you cannot tell people they are wrong, they just do not agree with you and it is this mob rule that blackmails people into one opinion that I dislike most. When I hear it, i understand how people were burnt at the stake for saying the world was round

liverpool_one

Feb 12, 2004
Liverpool, United Kingdom
was working at bella pasta in rhe early 90s first week and struggling to keep up with things.
one of the other kitchen workers from africa called me a useless white boy and i called him a tree dwelling prick and that was that and we actualy ended up good workmates.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'v lost count of the times "you English" are scum,and the like here in Wales and top it off my wife who is part Indian was called a by our delightful neighbours (and I am going to use the actual word) a wog and later that that day a wop which I always thought was a term for an Italian rather than someone who is part coloured
SHE reported it to the police, but as we did not have any witnesses nothing came of it ....nothing new there then it has made my wife see the Welsh in a different light but to be fair her father was Welsh and she says he was the worlds worst racist.......yet he married and Anglo-Indian

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Must admit I didn't like being called a bald headed c**t by our own fans in the South Stand at Withdean.
Didn't like being told in the Pavilion grounds that people like me should go back where we came from and weren't welcome in Brighton. Not sure where he was coming from, but I'm white and was born in Carden Avenue!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I see 2 issues being missed.

1 not being evenhanded
2 being oversensative.

There are many on the left who wont even acknowledge there is anti-white racism. Those responsible are never pulled up for it. This leads to the second problem.

With a lack of even handedness its easy for some to say "just go and do one", this leads the other side to become even more hysterical and oversensative, From this point you will never gain any kind of consensus and the bitching and venting and the racial abusing will just continue.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
There are many on the left who wont even acknowledge there is anti-white racism. Those responsible are never pulled up for it. This leads to the second problem.

There is anti-white racism, the two people who threatened me at Murrayfield were as white as I am, as were several (many) others in Scotland who dished it out during the three years I lived there. All I can say is that I have visited around forty different countries during my life, across several continents, and the only times I have knowingly been racially abused it has been from other white people.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I see 2 issues being missed.

1 not being evenhanded
2 being oversensative.

With a lack of even handedness its easy for some to say "just go and do one", this leads the other side to become even more hysterical and oversensative, From this point you will never gain any kind of consensus and the bitching and venting and the racial abusing will just continue.

You will always get racists and ironically they come in many colours but you are confusing gang violence with underlying violence. Save for some isolated and probably gang/turf/business related racial stuff there isn't any anti white racism in the UK. The stuff you are inferring to is not the same as the discriminatory, demeaning stuff to keep the blacks, wogs, jews and irish down.

It oversensitive getting upset at being called a fat bald ugly git by your mates, but being called something about your colour or race is totally offensive if its to put you down.

Its a bit like your username - If you really are mentally challenged and someone called you it you wouldnt like it

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You will always get racists and ironically they come in many colours but you are confusing gang violence with underlying violence. Save for some isolated and probably gang/turf/business related racial stuff there isn't any anti white racism in the UK. The stuff you are inferring to is not the same as the discriminatory, demeaning stuff to keep the blacks, wogs, jews and irish down.

It oversensitive getting upset at being called a fat bald ugly git by your mates, but being called something about your colour or race is totally offensive if its to put you down.

Its a bit like your username - If you really are mentally challenged and someone called you it you wouldnt like it

I haven't mentioned any kind of violence. Your reply makes no sense what so ever , its like a standard templated knee jerk response. Seriously, it makes no sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here