Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have any of you ever been the subject of racial abuse?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't really recognise this Tooting Bushy describes.

It certainly has a lot of Asian businesses which were bloody useful to me in the past as Clapham High Street gradually became a strip of bars.

However the roads off the high street reveal some very nice and expensive properties. I know from looking around there for a property that it's hardly what they refer to as a "white flight" area. In fact the opposite. It's a desirable area to live.

I definitely don't feel I'm in a foreign country. In exactly the same way I don't feel I'm in Portugal when I walk up South Lambeth Road.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't really recognise this Tooting Bushy describes.It certainly has a lot of Asian businesses which were bloody useful to me in the past as Clapham High Street gradually became a strip of bars.

However the roads off the high street reveal some very nice and expensive properties. I know from looking around there for a property that it's hardly what they refer to as a "white flight" area. In fact the opposite. It's a desirable area to live.

I definitely don't feel I'm in a foreign country. In exactly the same way I don't feel I'm in Portugal when I walk up South Lambeth Road.
Take your f***ing blinkers off then, it's a totally different place to what it was 25 years ago.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Take your f***ing blinkers off then, it's a totally different place to what it was 25 years ago.

Well I wouldn't know. But you appear to have confused my point.

I'm not suggesting it hasn't changed - it just doesn't resemble the place you constantly describe on here.

I almost moved there a year ago and I don't do "edgy and vibrant". I just see it as just an extension of Balham with a lot of Asian businesses.

It suits me fine because I like shopping in shops and markets when I can rather than supermarkets.

Particularly at the weekend.

I once posted on here that a major threat to the English identity was the death of the high street. You laughed at it. Well, if you can look past the colour of the owners skin, the high street down there has been kept alive commercially by immigrants.

You can buy anything and at the weekends it's packed.

I got out of Clapham, because it started to resemble a strip on a cheap Spanish holiday. Balham is slightly better for shopping, but lacks so many things.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Well I wouldn't know. But you appear to have confused my point.

I'm not suggesting it hasn't changed - it just doesn't resemble the place you constantly describe on here.

I almost moved there a year ago and I don't do "edgy and vibrant". I just see it as just an extension of Balham with a lot of Asian businesses.

It suits me fine because I like shopping in shops and markets when I can rather than supermarkets.

Particularly at the weekend.

I once posted on here that a major threat to the English identity was the death of the high street. You laughed at it. Well, if you can look past the colour of the owners skin, the high street down there has been kept alive commercially by immigrants.

You can buy anything and at the weekends it's packed.

I got out of Clapham, because it started to resemble a strip on a cheap Spanish holiday. Balham is slightly better for shopping, but lacks so many things.
how about the pearly kings and Queens get on a day out to South London :salute:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Amazing isn't it, we started the thread with a serious question about racial abuse and it has descended into an argument about shopping in different parts of South London...maybe I shouldn't be surprised, this is of course NSC!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Back to the topic, I was moved into some form of non-EU line at the old Passport Office when I was about 17 because I was heavily tanned.

Honest to God, they even apologised to me at the time :)

That's as near as I've come but it was hardly abuse.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Happens almost every day over here. And the funny thing is they do it so POLITELY!

So I don't suppose it counts as abuse but yes I have been turned away from various establishments (public baths seem to be good for this) for not being Japanese.

Oh and the cops will stop white guys in the street on sight just for being white. (ID please. etc.......)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here