Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Has it made you feel proud ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I could only feel pride n Britain again if we sort this government out. As for the queen and the jubilee etc? Well, I don't think we should have monarchy and I think the celebrations are a bit crass at the moment. Having said that, there were always going to be celebrations whatever the economic climate and if people got together with like minded people and had a good time, then who am I to begrudge them that.

I popped across for the beacon lighting on Lancing Beach Green. That was my little bit of involvement. I missed them actually popping her on but we got a rather anaemic trickle of God Save The Queen that spluttered and died around the fourth line and a village fete ripple of unsure applause. That's Lancing ;-)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We’ve escaped the entire look-at-me loud mouth celebrations that would’ve occurred in our Brighton street,

In Brighton you say, Shirley not?
I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Regardless of what you may think about the monarchy, no other country pulls off pageantry and ceremony quite like Britain. Many try to imitate but none come close. Always makes me unashamedly proud.
You know that for a fact? You have experience of the way all the others do it?

This gets trotted out, but I'm not sure a tedious, unrelatable concert that not one wants to watch and Brian May playing guitar on a public building cuts it for me.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I haven't watched any of it.

I guess my feeling is one of great indifference.

I'm not sure what I'm meant to be either proud or disdainful of. It's all silly pageantry and pomp. But if it makes folk happy.

I have been struggling to put into words my thought on the whole Jubilee event, and I think you have captured the essence of my feelings perfectly! Thank you...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have very mixed feelings about all this.
Although I would consider myself a Republican, I have enormous respect and admiration for the Queen, so agree this needs marking.
I’m one of the people who is not proud to be British at the moment, but I also suspect that the Queen too could well be aghast at much of what is going on at the moment. But she conducts herself so well that we will never know for sure.
One has to be proud of how well we do the military pageantry stuff, although my grandfather - who was in the King’s Own Battalion of the Grenadier Guards before the First World War - would have been aghast at some of the marching, even from his own regiment. “Look at those lines!” They were all over the place.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I haven't watched any of it but if pomp and ceremony is your thing then it is probably excellent.

I don't agree with the notion that not feeling proud or buying into it all somehow equates to self loathing though.

There is much for Britain to be proud of. It all sits in another direction for me though.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I haven't watched any of it.

I guess my feeling is one of great indifference.

I'm not sure what I'm meant to be either proud or disdainful of. It's all silly pageantry and pomp. But if it makes folk happy.
This sums it up for me.

On one hand, it's impressive that a single event can overshadow pretty much everything else going on in the world for days.

On the other hand, I find it incredibly depressing - almost brainwashing-like - that a single event can overshadow pretty much everything else going on in the world for days.

Pride is not an overriding emotion, no.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No. Not proud as such. The country is on its knees under Johnson who has no idea how to fix things - nothing to be proud about.

There is no future in England's dreaming.

But I've enjoyed the spectacle and the occasion and the sense of history.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
David Beckham really grates on me at these events I can’t stomach the fella now and I used to like him during his England days.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think our influence is anything like it used to be (for good or bad). What makes you think it is?
We are the sick man of Europe. We supposedly have the 5th biggest economy in the world yet millions live in poverty with little hope of ever getting out of it...work as hard as you like, you won't get out of it.

Pretty much every week there is a report highlighting problems across health care, social care or education which always come down to a lack of money from the government. Most recently its Midwives, Doctors and Dentists...they are either overworked, underpaid or a combination of both.

The government just seems to want to offer temporary sticking plasters rather than real genuine investment, their duty is to keep the rich rich ...if a cause is highlighted enough they will divert some money to alleviate the problem till another problem comes along.

Expect child poverty to come up soon as we approach the summer holidays, and there are no free school meals.
This could be solved permanently by the government, just give free school meals to all children. But , no, it won't happen I'm struggling to think of anything good that this government does for its citizens other than say what we can't have.

So, behind the facade of our wonderful country lies a deeply divided and failing society.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Nope, generally try and restrict pride to stuff I've achieved myself. Don't begrudge people enjoying this kind of stuff but find it weird how many people seem to do so by saying, 'We do this kind of thing better than anyone else!" Comes across very arrogant and, objectively, the only difference with other countries' pageantry is style of funny hats/costumes, colours of flags and weird walks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here