Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has he turned them down yet?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If Bloom and the Albion truly want Potter to stay then why did they allow him to speak to Chelsea? They could have refused and said he is under contract and dipped into our large war chest and offered him a shed load more money..

Because his contract allows him to?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've posted this on Bozza's thread, but as a precis, he's done. Over. Finished. If not Chelsea then England.

Unfortunately when you punch above your weight you get all your good people taken off you. All the loyalty Bloom showed him should count for something but if Mrs Potter wants a bigger house and doesn't mind the upheaval he'll be off. It's quite clearly a bigger football challenge.

At Brighton your best bet for job continuity is to get us to 16th on 40 points while playing nice football. We can't compete with Chelsea or England and never will.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I get what you are saying, but I meant rebuilding in terms of setting a style of play over a period of time - like he did with us.

I actually think the massive transfer spend is almost the rope the new owner gave Tuchel to hang himself with - backing him to the extent that he no longer had any excuses.

Clubs like Chelsea don't do long term. Results or out is their method of operation.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Some deluded fellows on this thread. If GP has travelled to London (or where ever) and is indeed in talks he will be gone. He is going to be offered the job of managing a club that will be in the mix for winning the EPL, Champs League, FA Cup in the next 2 years. Have an unlimited budget (it would seem) and the chance to be one of Europe's top managers. He'll think he can turn the side around and compete with the team they have!
If he fails and gets sacked he walks away financially secure for life and straight into another job!!

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Unfortunately I think he’s gone to be honest…..but……and it’s a big but, if he tells Chelsea thanks but no thanks, he will elevate himself to “****ing legend” status at the Albion !

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I've posted this on Bozza's thread, but as a precis, he's done. Over. Finished. If not Chelsea then England.

Unfortunately when you punch above your weight you get all your good people taken off you. All the loyalty Bloom showed him should count for something but if Mrs Potter wants a bigger house and doesn't mind the upheaval he'll be off. It's quite clearly a bigger football challenge.

At Brighton your best bet for job continuity is to get us to 16th on 40 points while playing nice football. We can't compete with Chelsea or England and never will.

Well this has bummed me right outn

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Plenty of fans of other clubs don't think he should go there.

Top 2 highest rated comments on the BBC's Tuchel sacking piece:

"Potter should stay, finish the season with Brighton. He'll always be thrown in the mix for the big jobs so he's got nothing to lose by staying put."

"I'd hate to see a great coach like Potter be ruined by the experience of being at a club like Chelsea. He is thriving because he's been given time to build something."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62821767

1. Whether you finish 7th or 9th with Brighton it doesn't matter a damn to fans of the Big 6.
2. We simply don't have the budget to complete with the Big 6.
3. He's achieved the maximum from this squad. Nobody could have squeezed any more from March, Gross, Welbeck, Dunk, Veltman and they are all getting older.

He's done enough to have earned a shot with a Big 6 club. It is unlikely he'll win a trophy with the Albion while finishing 7th and getting into Europe will not resonate with football fans generally.

However, if he really wants the England job then this sort of thing IS significant and helped Hodgson and Southgate in the past. I'm sure if he decides to stay at the Albion then the England job and finishing above fellow rivals Howe, Gerrard, Lampard could be his motivation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This was posted as a positive thread, there are a host of others for negativity but I see a couple have left the other threads and burst through the door with their already posted elsewhere downer "know for certain he's off" claptrap!! :down:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
This was posted as a positive thread, there are a host of others for negativity but I see a couple have left the other threads and burst through the door with their already posted elsewhere downer "know for certain he's off" claptrap!! :down:

Don't take it to heart, Icy.

Like the aftermath of Middlesborough and the Palace Play-Off, it's feeling like one of those days on NSC.

But I'm still hoping that Potter's work/life balance appreciation will keep him in good old Sussex by the sea for now at least.

Let's see how it plays out. :smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Odds lengthening slightly.

3/10 from 2/9.

Maybe they have just seen that raised eyebrow quizzical "shut the **** up" expression on GP's face through the window in the boardroom

Some deluded fellows on this thread. If GP has travelled to London (or where ever) and is indeed in talks he will be gone. He is going to be offered the job of managing a club that will be in the mix for winning the EPL, Champs League, FA Cup in the next 2 years. Have an unlimited budget (it would seem) and the chance to be one of Europe's top managers. He'll think he can turn the side around and compete with the team they have!
If he fails and gets sacked he walks away financially secure for life and straight into another job!!

Sadly, your right and you can't blame him taking that chance. It will be gutting if he goes but in Tony we trust and they'll have someone lined up for all eventualities

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If Bloom and the Albion truly want Potter to stay then why did they allow him to speak to Chelsea? They could have refused and said he is under contract and dipped into our large war chest and offered him a shed load more money..

Because there is a release clause and Chelsea have agreed to meet it, I guess we have some trust at board level on that, if it had been Man City I think they would have been asked to deposit the release fee in our accounts before speaking to him.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Managed to get £20 on GP NOT becoming Chelsea manager.

So it's either £6.20 of additional disappointment or a modest celebratory curry.

UTA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here