Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has anyone else done a 180 on Dan Burn.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think the whole "he was bad last year but has improved a lot this one" is horseshit. He was good (aside for a few games, which is something he has in common with everybody) last season and the season before that, he is just percieved in a different way now because the last few results has been good.

That is junk. He was consistently a liability last season at LWB (he just isn’t a LWB as Cucu demonstrates repeatedly and admirably). Now BDB is in the position he should always play in and doing well (another few good games and even I may be convinced! ;-))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Exactly, as a LB no, he got left for dead in that position and thereby leaving the cb slot open for Evertons 2nd, not his fault as Cucu was eslewhere.

Yes, though Biss switched off I felt.

I just think when he plays on the left positionally, he often gets lost and looks a worse player than he actually is.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That is junk. He was consistently a liability last season at LWB (he just isn’t a LWB as Cucu demonstrates repeatedly and admirably). Now BDB is in the position he should always play in and doing well (another few good games and even I may be convinced! ;-))

He wasn't consistently a liability. He did a decent job out of position.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

No, that's junk, he was perfectly adequate at LWB last season. It was at LB he struggled, notably against Wolves and Leicester. Also at this time last year he played CB against City, Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool and was excellent as we conceded just 1 goal across the 4 games.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
No, that's junk, he was perfectly adequate at LWB last season. It was at LB he struggled, notably against Wolves and Leicester. Also at this time last year he played CB against City, Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool and was excellent as we conceded just 1 goal across the 4 games.
Agreed - though did Burn not play LWB at Anfield last season? Remember him being a colossus that game regardless.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Exactly!! You’re not playing him at CB ahead of Dunk or Webster, he’s probably neck and neck with Duffy, but then I cannot see Dunk or Duffy playing as a wing back or full back and making a really decent job of it. He’s having a bit of a settled run in his preferred position and showing what a good player he is, not a revelation to most of us, a really hardworking pro getting everything out of his ability. These type of players go a bit unloved, but they are absolutely worth their weight in gold for what they give the squad.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
His role in Ali Mac's second yesterday hasn't been called out enough either - fantastic anticipation to win the ball from the Everton clearance, then the drive forward. Genuinely wouldn't drop him for Dunk at the moment, he deserves to stay at CB.

Agree, biggest risk a CB can take is trying to nick the ball in front, but shows how much confidence he’s got, and the environment this team is thriving in as they’re being very brave in all areas.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Three points regarding Dan Burn.

1. He is a fantastic asset to the team

2. He is a Centre Back, not really a LB...and as for LWB...NO!

3. He appears to be a great bloke

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

To say he was consistently a liability last season is ridiculous. He had a run of games where he did not perform too well and one of those (Arsenal at home) was whilst playing as a CB. But generally he has and remains a solid player for us, whichever position he’s asked play. Cucu of course is different gravy at LŴB/LB.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Nope, he wasnt. Had a bad game against Leicester and another against Wolves. Other than that he was always good or better.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Just my opinion. But it is history anyway. I think Potter has learned his lesson now

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

I think we might be agreeing. He is a CB. Not a LB or LWB. Why do you think we invested big in Cucu if BDB is good in those positions. Rhetorical question. He isn’t.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Agreed - though did Burn not play LWB at Anfield last season? Remember him being a colossus that game regardless.

He was caught out of position at Anfield. Sorry

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Three points regarding Dan Burn.

1. He is a fantastic asset to the team

2. He is a Centre Back, not really a LB...and as for LWB...NO!

3. He appears to be a great bloke

All of those.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
To say he was consistently a liability last season is ridiculous. He had a run of games where he did not perform too well and one of those (Arsenal at home) was whilst playing as a CB. But generally he has and remains a solid player for us, whichever position he’s asked play. Cucu of course is different gravy at LŴB/LB.

As I said, he is not a LB/LWB. To be fair he is great CB cover, and was great yesterday. Waxing lyrical about how fab he is; a bit OTT IMHO

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Nope, he wasnt. Had a bad game against Leicester and another against Wolves. Other than that he was always good or better.

Just an opinion Swanny, but I think you are seeing Dan’s performances last season as better than they actually were, mostly at LWB

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As I said, he is not a LB/LWB. To be fair he is great CB cover, and was great yesterday. Waxing lyrical about how fab he is; a bit OTT IMHO

So is labelling him a 'liability'. :rolleyes:

As for Cucurella coming in it doesn't confirm Burn is a bad player or a liability, just confirms Cucurella is an improvement. Being worse than Cururella in a position doesn't make you a bad player, not by a long chalk, not when Cucu is that good.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just an opinion Swanny, but I think you are seeing Dan’s performances last season as better than they actually were, mostly at LWB

I disagree.

I also look forward to the closure of the transfer window.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
So is labelling him a 'liability'. :rolleyes:

As for Cucurella coming in it doesn't confirm Burn is a bad player or a liability, just confirms Cucurella is an improvement. Being worse than Cururella in a position doesn't make you a bad player, not by a long chalk, not when Cucu is that good.

He was a liability last season IMHO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here