Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has anyone else done a 180 on Dan Burn.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
To me BDB is one of my favourite players - all because he is playing well above his natural ability, just like David Beckham. It would have been easy for him to be a championship level defender with no pressure but he shows he is a premier league squad player who rarely lets anyone down ever (apart from Wolves game but that season Traore was making other top class full backs look stupid)

el punal

I’ve never disliked BDB but have always felt there was a mistake in him every game he played - truly on display when we played Wolves. Against Chelsea, and Lukaku, he was superb. He has certainly risen to new heights - now 6’ 9” from 6’ 7”. Well done Dan! :cheers:

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Hold my hands up and say "I have." My finger tips would only reach his nips.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Was always critical of Burn as FB or LWB because very poor in one to ones. Great to see performances in his rightful position of CB. I also think we play better with 2 CBs and 2 FBs. It has been shown that with this set up Lampty and Cucurella can still get forward. May well mean when Dunk fit, Veltman and Burn will get little game time which will be tough on both

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We have without a doubt and looked very good doing it, but is that because of playing 4 at the back (and an extra man in midfield), the personnel we have been playing, or the opponents we've been up against ?

I'd like to think a little of each, but I'll reserve judgement until we play the next team that put 11 behind the ball, unlike Brentford, Chelsea and Everton (and don't get me wrong, I think we have been brilliant in those games) :albion2:

i guess it is a mix of all 3 - have to say CPFC are likely to want to play open football from what (little) i have seen of them .

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
The bloke gives his all for the team and very occasionally he has some bad luck with it but the guy is a beast. His decisive surge forward for our 3rd goal last night was fantastic, it was exactly what was needed as it gave the whole team a much needed kick when we were allowing Everton back in it. He certainly isn't a conventional premier league player to watch and sometimes he has me in stitches (like when he steamed forward for our 3rd, got the ball and momentum forward splaying himself on the floor in the process) but....it works. I love him, always have.

Chopera

Apr 23, 2021
Traore turns defenders inside out regularly. The problem for BDB was due to his frame, he looked like a pissed giraffe trying to ice skate when it happened to him. Which stuck in some people's minds, and probably reinforced any doubts they had about someone that size playing as a wing back. However I don't think he was terrible in that position. It was more his poor crossing that annoyed me, but on the other hand I admired the fact that he was able to at least hold his own in that position. Generally what I love about him is his positivity and dynamism. To see such a tall player constantly on the move, and giving it everything is what's so appealing about him. So yes, he got done in that first half against Wolves, but he kept going and the second half comeback was a bit of a turning point last season and, perhaps for the club in general.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The moments I felt absolutely chuffed for him were when he effortlessly took a skied ball down under pressure from Aguero, who then applauded him (2019/20 I think), and yesterday, after his goal, you can see him say "header!" through his grin, almost in disbelief. He's been my favourite player for ages.

[tweet]1168606501461737472[/tweet]

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Because he's not playing 70% of his minutes out of posession at LWB

There was a time when I was totally out of possessions.

Friedrich-Nietzsche-quote-about-poverty-from-Thus-Spoke-Zarathustra-1a11635.jpg

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Burn does seem to provoke extreme reactions. People seem to love him, then think he's the worst player, then love him again, then he's back to being the worst and so on it goes.

I've always seen him as a solid squad player who when he has a bad day has a shocker. He's never deserved some of the extreme criticism he's received as he has always, regardless of how well he's playing, given 100% and never hides. That alone deserves to be applauded and respected.

He's going through a purple patch of form at the moment and it's great to see. He's been excellent.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Traore turns defenders inside out regularly. The problem for BDB was due to his frame, he looked like a pissed giraffe trying to ice skate when it happened to him.

Quote of the thread. If I remember correctly, he also got a terrible roasting from James Justin, but again this was as LWB, too. He's been doing great recently. What to do when Dunk is fit again? 3 CBs with Duffy missing out?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is a worry, we are rapidly running out of scapegoats. Can someone help me out and point me in the direction of whomever has taken his place please.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Burn does seem to provoke extreme reactions. People seem to love him, then think he's the worst player, then love him again, then he's back to being the worst and so on it goes.

I've always seen him as a solid squad player who when he has a bad day has a shocker. He's never deserved some of the extreme criticism he's received as he has always, regardless of how well he's playing, given 100% and never hides. That alone deserves to be applauded and respected.

He's going through a purple patch of form at the moment and it's great to see. He's been excellent.

Very simple. Because he is very poor in one to one situations out wide he does not suit playing left of 3 CBs. Looks like now we have a good LB we have reverted to 4 at back. Since Dunk injured at last Burn has had chance to play in his proper position.
Will be interesting to see what Potter does when Dunk is fit. Retain Burn and go back to 3 CBs or continue with 2 FBs and leave Burn out. Tough on Burn but feel it will be latter. Of course also option of leaving Dunk out.
Suddenly Duffy well down pecking order

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here