GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
And you think that a free movement agreement between Oz (population 23m) and NZ (population 4m) is comparable to ours with the EU (population 500m) ? That's the whole point of this discussion ....scale....it matters....

Economies of scale work of course to a point...but then i suggest activist shareholders insist on a break up and pull us out of the EU....oh we have already.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Well... Prime Minister May seems to have been busy... putting a plan together... and here are the first steps...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37532364

Theresa May has said she is to introduce a "Great Repeal Bill" in the next Queen's Speech which will overturn the act which took the UK into the EU.

It will remove the European Communities Act 1972 from the statute book and end the supremacy in Britain of EU law.

The government will also enshrine all existing EU law into British law and anything deemed unnecessary will be abolished later.

It would seem that BrExit really does mean BrExit.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Economies of scale work of course to a point...

Absolutely, which is why you get my special home made EU boeuf bourguignon. people need to look at the immigration relative to size of population. I think NZ has c500k people in Australia, out of its population of c4m. Incredible.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Well... Prime Minister May seems to have been busy... putting a plan together... and here are the first steps...

Theresa May has said she is to introduce a "Great Repeal Bill" in the next Queen's Speech which will overturn the act which took the UK into the EU.

It will remove the European Communities Act 1972 from the statute book and end the supremacy in Britain of EU law.

The government will also enshrine all existing EU law into British law and anything deemed unnecessary will be abolished later.

Indeed, brexit means brexit. Shame we dont know what brexit really means though

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You're right about the EU... no borders to speak of.
Australia and New Zealand by contrast do have border control and work visa systems. Perhaps I have misunderstood and you mean between Oz and NZ but I hardly think that's the same as the free for all we currently have over here.

Points based systems rarely work and can in fact end up allowing more people into a country.
But I doubt the Brexiteers will let a little thing like facts dampen their spirits.

https://leftfootforward.org/2015/03...alias-immigration-system-is-far-from-perfect/

I wonder how many people know that the UK already has a points based system? It's based on Australia's PBS and is pretty ineffective.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Indeed, brexit means brexit. Shame we dont know what brexit really means though

best thing you can do is sit in the corner of your room and repeat to yourself " i dont know what brexit means"
meanwhile everyone else who knows it means leaving the EU can crack on with it.

Oh but i want to know every minute detail, i want our gov to declare exactly their plan in every detail before negotiations start so i can judge it. .......i dont care if this means we will be coming from a weaker standpoint....my personal needs to know everything outweigh national interests.
I demand to know now what is going on........think this sums you up.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
best thing you can do is sit in the corner of your room and repeat to yourself " i dont know what brexit means"
meanwhile everyone else who knows it means leaving the EU can crack on with it.

Oh but i want to know every minute detail, i want our gov to declare exactly their plan in every detail before negotiations start so i can judge it. .......i dont care if this means we will be coming from a weaker standpoint....my personal needs to know everything outweigh national interests.
I demand to know now what is going on........think this sums you up.

:lolol: i like a good vision and am happy with broad direction, and in that context we have very different views. But a simple question on brexit means brexit. Will we still be part of the common market? That is fairly fundamental, nothing to do with details. That is a point of substance

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
:lolol: i like a good vision and am happy with broad direction, and in that context we have very different views. But a simple question on brexit means brexit. Will we still be part of the common market? That is fairly fundamental, nothing to do with details. That is a point of substance

do you mean will we still part of the single market with the same preferential tariff free rates we have now?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:lolol: ok simple question on brexit means brexit. Will we still be part of the common market? That is fairly fundamental, nothing to do with details. Or are we willing to trade free of trade and financial services for control of our borders to eu residents? As brexit means brexit i am sure you will be able to let me know

its not difficult, assume "no" to both your answers. its clear full withdrawal is the baseline action, then negotiate for improved terms from there. this is a smart plan as it means the EU isnt seen to chip away at us and businesses can plan. the only awkward subject at this point it how to handle existing expats, the logical approach will be a reciprocal arrangement to allow all those in UK/EU on certain date to remain. new movement will be handled on existing rules into the EU for us and whatever rules we come up with for them. i imagine they will be quite loose with a requirement to have employment before applying to stay, which if occurs would be ironic as that the current law anyway (you aren't supposed to be allowed to chip up in another EU country and claim local benefits, only right to work or stay on your own means.)

people seem to think travel without the EU is difficult or challenging, i work for a multinational company were middle grade people flit to and from India, Philippines, US, Brazil, Japan, Russia, Turkey, Tunisia routinely. it may well be more difficult to move to those countries permanently, but that really isn't a problem for business who are interested in their staff traveling for a few days or weeks.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Generally I agree with your final point about business travel outside the EU being easy in most cases. Having had to get a Russian visa a little while ago, I am not sure I would cite them as an example of ease.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Points based systems rarely work and can in fact end up allowing more people into a country.
But I doubt the Brexiteers will let a little thing like facts dampen their spirits.

https://leftfootforward.org/2015/03...alias-immigration-system-is-far-from-perfect/

I wonder how many people know that the UK already has a points based system? It's based on Australia's PBS and is pretty ineffective.

There is high immigration into Australia because they have decided that is what is needed. They have a skill shortage so the points based system delivers the skills that are required. Equally, they could choose to set the bar higher and have
lower immigration. Think of the advertisements for skilled workers that we have seen for decades coming
from Australia. Huge numbers of skilled Brits relocate over there to do the jobs that cannot be recruited for locally. There is a list of those jobs online precisely because of the points system.That's the reason for their high immigration levels. It's a huge empty continent. I'm afraid the article you have attached is rather making an assumption that because Oz has high immigration and a points policy that one is a consequence of the other when this is not the case.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There is high immigration into Australia because they have decided that is what is needed. They have a skill shortage so the points based system delivers the skills that are required. Equally, they could choose to set the bar higher and have
lower immigration. Think of the advertisements for skilled workers that we have seen for decades coming
from Australia. Huge numbers of skilled Brits relocate over there to do the jobs that cannot be recruited for locally. There is a list of those jobs online precisely because of the points system.That's the reason for their high immigration levels. It's a huge empty continent. I'm afraid the article you have attached is rather making an assumption that because Oz has high immigration and a points policy that one is a consequence of the other when this is not the case.

A fair assumption but a quick online search shows my point to be valid. And your above post backs me up to a degree, PBS do not lower immigration.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

She also confirmed Article 50 will be triggered before the end of March next year. So after a reasonable and sensible period of preparation, which is clearly in our national interest the process of Brexit begins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports