Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
This.

Best Brexit needed, not a binary choice between Hard Brexit and Soft Brexit.

Brexit means Brexit and if i was MAY it would be out of the EU and out of the free market and no freedom of movement......bet your pleased i am not PM

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Brexit means Brexit and if i was MAY it would be out of the EU and out of the free market and no freedom of movement......bet your pleased i am not PM
You've lost your bet. I have no view whatsover on whether you were to be PM or not :rock:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Nine months is long enough for this baby to be ready.

Provided everything and everyone is in place and both new Whitehall departments are fully operational, I have no issue when Article 50 is invoked - provided we are ready.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Provided everything and everyone is in place and both new Whitehall departments are fully operational, I have no issue when Article 50 is invoked - provided we are ready.

While we are at it let's get this in place as well.

ONE of Britain’s most respected military generals last night backed calls for the Royal Marines to defend the English Channel against illegal migrants making the crossing by boat.

Maj General Julian Thompson, a former Royal Marine who led British ground forces in the retaking of the Falkland Islands in 1982, warned that the Government “can no longer afford to delay” taking action to halt the increasing number of unauthorised dinghies washing up on British shores. His call comes a week after three Iranian migrants were found to have landed a dingy in Deal, Kent. Gen Thompson said indications by presidential hopeful Nicholas Sarkozy that he would push Britain’s border with France back from Calais to Dover would “only exacerbate the problem”.

“We have only five Border Force cutters to patrol our entire coastline. But one is in the Aegean Sea while another is usually in dry dock for maintenance. That leaves just three to patrol the 700 miles between Cornwall and East Anglia, let alone the whole 11,000 miles of Britain’s coastline,” he said. “The EU will not and cannot stop these smugglers.” Urging Teresa May to adopt the “Falklands Spirit” he said Britain could not afford to wait until next year for promised additional vessels.

“Key to the Falklands Victory was the use of STUFT Ships: “Ships Taken Up From Trade” – merchantmen of all sorts. “We need STUFT Ships now. We could requisition a dozen fast, twin-engined civilian sea-going motor cruisers, and equip them with gun mountings, military radars and communications systems. The RN or Royal Naval Reserve can crew them. Royal Marines of the Fleet Protection Group, experts in boarding techniques, proven through by countless anti-piracy and drug smuggling operations, are instantly available to provide the muscle.

“We need to do this next week, not next year.” To enhance Channel traffic Control radars, six Britten Norman Islander aircraft, fitted with electronic surveillance equipment, should also be bought or leased, along with pilots, he added. Aerostat balloons, cheaper than helicopters or drones and able to scan 37 miles to the nearest French ports and beaches, could used to plug gaps in maritime surveillance. “We wouldn’t have liberated the Falklands without that Bulldog Spirit,” he said.

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/716648/UK...rines-defend-English-Channel-illegal-migrants

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sooner we leave the better, there taking our jobs and now killing our sick and elderliy. Are docs wouldnt turn into murderers but this lot would have your kidneys out for a tenner if they could flog them back home.

View attachment 78330

Regards

DR

Harold Shipman was innocent.............

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Sobered up?

In reality what made us "great" was profiteering from the suffering and death that we inflicted on tens of millions of people during our capitalist driven expansion around the globe during the 17th, 18th & 19th centuries. We don't have the same clout nowadays so we're experiencing the inevitable long post empire glide back into mid table obscurity.
God you're a drip, all we did was do unto others what they would have done to us given half the chance .

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
God you're a drip, all we did was do unto others what they would have done to us given half the chance .

Probably true but hardly warrants employing the aggrandised "Great" does it soft boy?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Clause 50 by the end of March, she says. So before the German elections is that? Maybe President Trump will offer to accept us as the 51st State.:rant:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Still laughing at an old "Private Eye" cartoon just published after June 26th, where a wife says acidly to her flushed husband as they pass a newspaper board announcing "Brexiteers regretting decision?" :

"Are we Volty McVolte-Face now?"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sobered up?

In reality what made us "great" was profiteering from the suffering and death that we inflicted on tens of millions of people during our capitalist driven expansion around the globe during the 17th, 18th & 19th centuries. We don't have the same clout nowadays so we're experiencing the inevitable long post empire glide back into mid table obscurity.

This.....we are the 5th or 6th biggest economy in the world at the moment....Brexit will not push us back up the table and it might well push us down faster.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Here's a piece by Christopher Booker in the anti-EU DailyTelegraph, arguing that Brexit Soft is the only way forward - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...nly-way-brexit-wont-plunge-us-over-the-cliff/

This has all been done back to front. It would have been so much more rational if we had written our own conditions for staying in the EU, then handed it in to them to agree or not. Whether we are in the EU or not we will still have an EU agreement which will more than likely be 95% of what we are currently in agreement with.

We have put the onus on us to leave regardless, rather than the onus being on the EU to not agree to a new format and kick us out. Basically we have given the EU the upper hand in negotiations.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37535527

Theresa May has delivered her first speech to the Conservative Party conference since becoming UK prime minister.

It centred largely on how Brexit would work and what leaving the European Union would mean for the country. Here are some key quotes from her speech:

On the UK voting to leave the EU

"Even now, some politicians - democratically-elected politicians - say that the referendum isn't valid, that we need to have a second vote.
"Others say they don't like the result, and they'll challenge any attempt to leave the European Union through the courts.
"But come on. The referendum result was clear. It was legitimate. It was the biggest vote for change this country has ever known. Brexit means Brexit - and we're going to make a success of it."

On keeping the country informed

"We will not be able to give a running commentary or a blow-by-blow account of the negotiations, because we all know that isn't how they work.
"Every stray word and every hyped up media report is going to make it harder for us to get the right deal for Britain, so we have to stay patient."

On triggering Article 50

"There will be no unnecessary delays in invoking Article 50. We will invoke it when we are ready. And we will be ready soon. We will invoke Article 50 no later than the end of March next year."

On Parliament's role

"Those people who argue that Article 50 can only be triggered after agreement in both Houses of Parliament are not standing up for democracy, they're trying to subvert it.
"They're not trying to get Brexit right, they're trying to kill it by delaying it. They are insulting the intelligence of the British people."

On Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

"Because we voted in the referendum as one United Kingdom, we will negotiate as one United Kingdom, and we will leave the European Union as one United Kingdom.
"There is no opt-out from Brexit. And I will never allow divisive nationalists to undermine the precious union between the four nations of our United Kingdom."

On repealing the 1972 European Communities Act

"Our laws will be made not in Brussels but in Westminster. The judges interpreting those laws will sit not in Luxembourg but in courts in this country. The authority of EU law in Britain will end."

On workers' rights

"Existing workers' legal rights will continue to be guaranteed in law - and they will be guaranteed as long as I am prime minister."

On Britain after Brexit

"We are going to be a fully independent, sovereign country - a country that is no longer part of a political union with supranational institutions that can override national parliaments and courts."

On the new relationship with the EU

"The process we are about to begin is not about negotiating all of our sovereignty away again...
"So it is not going to be a 'Norway model'. It's not going to be a 'Switzerland model'. It is going to be an agreement between an independent, sovereign United Kingdom and the European Union."

On immigration

"We will do what independent, sovereign countries do. We will decide for ourselves how we control immigration. And we will be free to pass our own laws."

On the single market

"We will seek the best deal possible as we negotiate a new agreement with the European Union.
"I want it to involve free trade, in goods and services. I want it to give British companies the maximum freedom to trade with and operate in the single market - and let European businesses do the same here."

On Britain's future

"A truly global Britain is possible, and it is in sight. And it should be no surprise that it is.
"We don't need - as I sometimes hear people say - to 'punch above our weight'. Because our weight is substantial enough already."

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This has all been done back to front. It would have been so much more rational if we had written our own conditions for staying in the EU, then handed it in to them to agree or not. Whether we are in the EU or not we will still have an EU agreement which will more than likely be 95% of what we are currently in agreement with.

We have put the onus on us to leave regardless, rather than the onus being on the EU to not agree to a new format and kick us out. Basically we have given the EU the upper hand in negotiations.

I agree with that and it goes back to Cameron's negotiations with them. I still don't quite know what he was asking for in the 'deal' he was looking for. We should have drawn up some red lines to present to the EU stating we'd have a referendum on membership if they weren't agreed. As we can't agree on Brexit Soft or Brexit hard, I don't see they'd have been any agreement on what red line conditions we'd have drawn up to present to them in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here