Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy club?!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I'm hoping this is a consolidation season and something TB expected. I'm hoping. Agree with your post.
You can 'hope' all you like. TB was quite clear at the start of the season that he expected us to be in the play-offs. That is now an absolute pipe-dream after this transfer window.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think we will have to be more ruthless than that, we have seven players out of contract this summer; Bruno, Upson, Lopez, Orlandi, Ward, Andrews & Kuz and five of these are sadly past their sell by date.

Of these, Bruno, Upson, Orlandi and Top Kat deserve new contracts, perhaps on slightly lower wages. If we can get him for a reasonable price, we should sign Ward. I do agree with you, however, that there will be major changes in the summer. Unlike many on NSC, I'm of the view that we'll spend some money so Oscar can build his team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can 'hope' all you like. TB was quite clear at the start of the season that he expected us to be in the play-offs. That is now an absolute pipe-dream after this transfer window.

It may have passed you by in your appraisal but there is a loan window opening up, you know the one where we signed Upson last year and kicked on for the rest of the season. Carry on being negative though if it makes you feel better. We also have three home games coming up, top 6 is unlikely but we are coming back from three very tough away games so all is not lost..I may be wrong but I'm not chucking in the towel just ye., A pipe dream is expecting to finish in the top 2, top 6 is still attainable.

So much wrist slashing on here in the last 24 hours :rolleyes:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It may have passed you by in your appraisal but there is a loan window opening up, you know the one where we signed Upson last year and kicked on for the rest of the season.

We could do with utilising the loan window and bringing in a wide player who can deliver a decent ball into Ulloa, I still think it's a shame we never got Conway back.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It may have passed you by in your appraisal but there is a loan window opening up, you know the one where we signed Upson last year and kicked on for the rest of the season. Carry on being negative though if it makes you feel better. We also have three home games coming up, top 6 is unlikely but we are coming back from three very tough away games so all is not lost..I may be wrong but I'm not chucking in the towel just ye., A pipe dream is expecting to finish in the top 2, top 6 is still attainable.

Phew. You've wobbled a little during the transfer window, but this suggests that you're back on top form.
I'm going to make a rash prediction. We'll beat Doncaster next Saturday, the line-up will be adventurous, and we'll play some good attacking football.
I have to accept the thrust of much of the criticism that Oscar's AWAY selections are somewhat negative, but even despite that, the stats show that we had 65% of possession, and 15 shots. Here's the key point, however, only one was on target. Kaz did his now obligatory rattling of the goalframe, and Ulloa had a goal disallowed which many thought should have stood.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Phew. You've wobbled a little during the transfer window, but this suggests that you're back on top form.

Not really as I am as disappointed as anyone that we are misfiring so badly at the moment but I am hanging on to the idea that it's a bad patch and that the business we didn't do in the transfer window may get a patch up in the loan window. A couple of wins, like a couple of defeats makes all the difference I just can't give up on the season like so many seem to be doing after three very tough away games in a short space of time :shrug:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

That's nothing to do with the last 24 hours - it's my appraisal of the whole season, which for me has been average at best.

Just my opinion like.

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
It seems to me that many of those of NSC want more than can reasonably be delivered. OK we lost today but we have won more than we have lost this season and are still in the FA Cup. We are still in a creditable position in the league and have money in the kitty for loan players.

Gordon Greer seems to be getting a slating but he has been an integral part of a defence which has let in few goals this season.

As to today's game we hit the bar and had a goal disallowed. I was not there but were Watford that much better ? I do not hear of much action for our goalkeeper.

Perhaps it is best to keep away from knee jerk comments on here after a defeat.

If Gus has a few spare moments up north he will be reading much of this with a smile. This could be the icing on his cake.

Just one further thought. If Tony feels he has lost the supporters will he look to sell out and give somebody else a go. That could prove very upsetting.

It's not just losing games that bothers us, it's the manner of the way we play. As others have said, Don't really mind losing if we played well - but we aren't playing well and we are losing.
Players have been injured, but that doesn't excuse the way the team is set up - we have attacking reserves. If the tactics aren't working you change them, but we don't.
No, Watford weren't really much better than us [from what I've read] BUT they scored 2 goals - we had 65% possession and 1 shot on target. Hitting the post and having 0ne knocked off for offside makes no difference - we aren't attacking teams. Not really knee jerk comments IMO. Seriously, when was the last time Brighton really excited you ? the second half against Leicester in December, I'd guess. That was a lot of matches ago.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I said on another thread that the football we are playing this season reminds of the Mark McGhee era. Very defensive, while trying to play it up to a lone striker with average players in the midfield.

Not saying it's the truth, just how it feels.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
How can one give up on the season now when we are in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup and comfortably in the top half of the table ? Supporters here have been rather spoiled over recent seasons. I thought recently our team including squad players gave a very good performance at Port Vale. There are many points to play for. We have had some excellent results against top teams.

Few teams have really turned us over this season. When we lose it the general consensus seems to be they were at best average and we were rubbish. I have read little comment which says those who beat us were really good and much better than us.

In my view this division has a massive issue with parachute payments to so many clubs and when not in receipt of those, it is so very difficult to compete attractively at the top end. That is why the objective is to compete for the play offs and that is what we are doing right now. That is all that is realistically achievable right now. If the supporters want more I guess there is another Mr Tan somewhere, but for me, I prefer the way we are.

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
I am rarely driven to post but feel this thread has touched upon many things I have been thinking.

Before I start I do not want reckless spending and I do not want to go up at any cost. The football has been very cautious for most of the season, and this is particularly disappointing at home - but I'm not going to get into that debate

But

We have been told repeatedly that we are getting premier league ready, from set up, training ground facilities and perimeter advertising boards, Barber has made a big deal about ensuring that the entire club structure is ready for promotion. Which is great and the right ethos for any business trying to build and move up in the world.

The only part which doesn't seem to share this ethos is the playing side. This is clearly where money talks more than anywhere else but we seem to be the crucial part of the business which needs to be premier league ready as it actually has to get us there.

Gus leaving clearly set the team back, and it took a while for Oscar to get them playing his way. Also he never really had time to revamp the squad and bring in new players. You would think therefore hew would do that in this window just past.

If it is much more down to the Burke set up to bring in players, then surely this would have been in hand regardless of the manager and the change shouldn't have affected that.

Instead we had a January where we clearly didn't get our top targets, and weakened the squad, especially when you add in Crofts injury. We have been desperate for another striker all season and manage to let the fit one who was scoring go (I know he wanted to), and replace him with a guy who will take time to adapt to Championship football. Ulloa is still finding his way back and CMS will have to bit part to play this season at best as he finds his way back after a very long time out.

Bridcutt went (again I know he wanted to) and replace him with Stephens - who seems a decent prospect - but there was no replacement for Crofts. Crofts had finally this year become the box to box midfielder we needed for so long and now we don't have one.

While we have cover and El Abd wanted to go I am not his loss has improved the defence - he was preferred to Dunk as third choice all season for a reason.

If we are choosing to rely on youth then, while we have some players coming through from the development squad it certainly isn't producing a team to get us into the Prem. Bayern Munich work on two from their youth for the first team each year, which would take alot of time to create a squad ready to go up.

Any recruitment has to improve what you have and sadly, while we lost players beyond our control in January, our squad, in my opinion is now worse off than it was on Jan 1, and retains some of the glaring deficiencies it has had for a while (dependable second striker who isn't expected to play oif the wing most of the time).

I find it hard to see us making the play offs without a stunning run of form, something which we haven't looked like we are capable of all season - can you really see us winning 6 on the trot like Derby did? I can't, especially as we struggle so much home.

It does feel like there will be huge changes in the summer - I don't see Kuz staying and surely Ulloa, if he finds forms, will attract a lower prem bid or two? And if we are just balancing budget for FFP does anyone really believe the playing field will level when fines and embargoes are applied to clubs - they will die in a long legal process around restraint of trade.

And all that makes this season feel a little like a write off already - which saddens me.

(Clearly now we will win the next six and make the cup final just to prove me wrong)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I am rarely driven to post but feel this thread has touched upon many things I have been thinking.

Before I start I do not want reckless spending and I do not want to go up at any cost. The football has been very cautious for most of the season, and this is particularly disappointing at home - but I'm not going to get into that debate

But

We have been told repeatedly that we are getting premier league ready, from set up, training ground facilities and perimeter advertising boards, Barber has made a big deal about ensuring that the entire club structure is ready for promotion. Which is great and the right ethos for any business trying to build and move up in the world.

The only part which doesn't seem to share this ethos is the playing side. This is clearly where money talks more than anywhere else but we seem to be the crucial part of the business which needs to be premier league ready as it actually has to get us there.

Gus leaving clearly set the team back, and it took a while for Oscar to get them playing his way. Also he never really had time to revamp the squad and bring in new players. You would think therefore hew would do that in this window just past.

If it is much more down to the Burke set up to bring in players, then surely this would have been in hand regardless of the manager and the change shouldn't have affected that.

Instead we had a January where we clearly didn't get our top targets, and weakened the squad, especially when you add in Crofts injury. We have been desperate for another striker all season and manage to let the fit one who was scoring go (I know he wanted to), and replace him with a guy who will take time to adapt to Championship football. Ulloa is still finding his way back and CMS will have to bit part to play this season at best as he finds his way back after a very long time out.

Bridcutt went (again I know he wanted to) and replace him with Stephens - who seems a decent prospect - but there was no replacement for Crofts. Crofts had finally this year become the box to box midfielder we needed for so long and now we don't have one.

While we have cover and El Abd wanted to go I am not his loss has improved the defence - he was preferred to Dunk as third choice all season for a reason.

If we are choosing to rely on youth then, while we have some players coming through from the development squad it certainly isn't producing a team to get us into the Prem. Bayern Munich work on two from their youth for the first team each year, which would take alot of time to create a squad ready to go up.

Any recruitment has to improve what you have and sadly, while we lost players beyond our control in January, our squad, in my opinion is now worse off than it was on Jan 1, and retains some of the glaring deficiencies it has had for a while (dependable second striker who isn't expected to play oif the wing most of the time).

I find it hard to see us making the play offs without a stunning run of form, something which we haven't looked like we are capable of all season - can you really see us winning 6 on the trot like Derby did? I can't, especially as we struggle so much home.

It does feel like there will be huge changes in the summer - I don't see Kuz staying and surely Ulloa, if he finds forms, will attract a lower prem bid or two? And if we are just balancing budget for FFP does anyone really believe the playing field will level when fines and embargoes are applied to clubs - they will die in a long legal process around restraint of trade.

And all that makes this season feel a little like a write off already - which saddens me.

(Clearly now we will win the next six and make the cup final just to prove me wrong)

Good post, saves me writing the same thing!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

But

Think these are basically my thoughts also. Think you are right re FFP. The lawyers will be waiting to get the courts to judge whether this is reasonable or anti trade. Fun ahead. Lawyers to make a fortune.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Corrected for you.

Well done, do you feel better for it? It's pretty much the forum equivalent of the petty playground retort of "I know you are, but what am I" . If you took your blue and white specs off you may notice that more than a small minority are disappointed by what happened in the window, also a fair few wouldn't want to post such outrageous content on here for fear of getting flamed by the do-gooders, like yourself :thumbsup: cheers

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Of these, Bruno, Upson, Orlandi and Top Kat deserve new contracts, perhaps on slightly lower wages. If we can get him for a reasonable price, we should sign Ward. I do agree with you, however, that there will be major changes in the summer. Unlike many on NSC, I'm of the view that we'll spend some money so Oscar can build his team.

Yep agree, my thinking is that Greer, Bruno, Upson, Orlandi and Calde have only one more season in them realistically, and they will have to make way for new blood in a smooth transition. In a perfect world it would be good to see these players get into the coaching side of the club rather than just leave, but they will have to be pragmatic about their future because the Prem will be a step too far for them at their ages, and inside they know it themselves. If their ultimate goal was to coach players and help them through, their future here would have valuable purpose and direction.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep agree, my thinking is that Greer, Bruno, Upson, Orlandi and Calde have only one more season in them realistically, and they will have to make way for new blood in a smooth transition. In a perfect world it would be good to see these players get into the coaching side of the club rather than just leave, but they will have to be pragmatic about their future because the Prem will be a step too far for them at their ages, and inside they know it themselves. If their ultimate goal was to coach players and help them through, their future here would have valuable purpose and direction.

I like the broad point that I think you're making, which is there will be a number of coaching vacancies available in the next few years with the training facility coming on-board, and that those that you mention -- in the case of Upson and Calde at the very least -- are model professionals whose services we should try to nail down.
Orlandi is still 29 isn't he, so a bit young. He's also doing a law degree, which might point to his future plans.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I like the broad point that I think you're making, which is there will be a number of coaching vacancies available in the next few years with the training facility coming on-board, and that those that you mention -- in the case of Upson and Calde at the very least -- are model professionals whose services we should try to nail down.
Orlandi is still 29 isn't he, so a bit young. He's also doing a law degree, which might point to his future plans.

Yep Orlandi is still youngish (30 in August), so if we get to the promoted next season he will be 31 pushing on 32 in the Prem season. He had problems with his knee before he joined us and has just come back from a knee injury which doesn't bode well long term. Too fragile and lacks pace for the Prem but has another season in the Champ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here