Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy club?!

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think this is the case. If we fluked promotion most of the players couldn't cut it in the Prem and they would have to leave this summer, and because they aren't good enough to win promotion they will have to go this summer.

Essentially we are working with an old and patched up Poyet team.

Oscars future team will consist of Ince, March, JFC, Stephens, Rodders, Monakana, Obika, Crofts, KLL and hopefully Kuz if we can keep him and possibly Ward. It would be good for CMS and Hoskins to revive their careers here. This summer when players contracts are over we will have to get ten new ones in to freshen things up.

Then we are in trouble!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Those players were just plasters over an old Poyet team to help us see through the season, likewise with Andrews. This summer I think 8-10 players out and the same in so I see massive change ahead but one that couldn't happen during this season. Most of the players are coming to the end of their contracts and I'm sure there is a very good reason for this.

But what we bring in will be the difference to mid-table mediocrity and promotion contenders. Last season we should have made it, but this year outgoing players have been replaced with worse players.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Such an overreaction on the player front. Most of the players in our squad are decent enough to be at the top end of the championship. Problem is some are underperforming and being used in a defensive system which isn't allowing the team to play to its full potential. Look at Burnley this season and Palace last season. There are loads of teams with players better than theirs. Us included. Yet they have an effective gameplan and score a lot of goals. Something we fail to do because of the way we set up to play the game. Problem isn't with the players we have/don't have, its what we're doing with them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Such an overreaction on the player front. Most of the players in our squad are decent enough to be at the top end of the championship. Problem is some are underperforming and being used in a defensive system which isn't allowing the team to play to its full potential. Look at Burnley this season and Palace last season. There are loads of teams with players better than theirs. Us included. Yet they have an effective gameplan and score a lot of goals. Something we fail to do because of the way we set up to play the game. Problem isn't with the players we have/don't have, its what we're doing with them.

so basically its the managers fault...change or go?

May 18, 2013
About this time last year I watched Brighton play Bristol City away and not manage one shot, not one on or of target, the entire match. That was also the match CMS got injured and when our new centre forward from Argentina looked a total waste of money.

Talk about depressing.

But I seem to remember the league table didn't look so bad by the end of the season....

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But what we bring in will be the difference to mid-table mediocrity and promotion contenders. Last season we should have made it, but this year outgoing players have been replaced with worse players.

I don't think we have brought in worse players Ward is ok, Andrews and Agustien not great but short contracts, but Oscar has discovered Ince, March and JFC and has given long contracts to Stephens and Spanish Rod. Monakana looks good and Obika could prove useful.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Pretty much, how many other successful teams can you find with one target man up front and 2 slow wingers. Some poor decisions today and we're not usually that bad. But clearly with not a hugely dissimilar squad we were much better just under a year ago under Poyet?

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Not saying Oscar should go at all, but he needs to change the style that we play in order to be successful, the current system isn't working and I don't believe its going to either.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not saying Oscar should go at all, but he needs to change the style that we play in order to be successful, the current system isn't working and I don't believe its going to either.

well i did say change or go with a question mark....so change it is then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What I find rather strange is that the beefing about new players not being signed is that it should come from Kemy not being a first choice he is one thatt has most to lose. Had that come from Kuszczak Upson or Ward who are automatic 1st choice I could understand but not a player who doesnt even make the bench every game.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What I find rather strange is that the beefing about new players not being signed is that it should come from Kemy not being a first choice he is one thatt has most to lose. Had that come from Kuszczak Upson or Ward who are automatic 1st choice I could understand but not a player who doesnt even make the bench every game.

Good point.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

hitting out at the club because he isn't getting reg football?....and not even the bench today

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
hitting out at the club because he isn't getting reg football?....and not even the bench today
I understand that but had we signed another midfielder like Trotter or similar he would drop further down the pecking order. So rather strange that he should be speaking out about the lack if transfer activity.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I understand that but had we signed another midfielder like Trotter or similar he would drop further down the pecking order. So rather strange that he should be speaking out.

lack of intelligence?..mouth before engaging brain..or in this case fingers before brain

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

And that will not get any better over the summer, expect journey men and unknown's. The one thing Gus was good at was getting good players to sign deals for much less than elsewhere by selling the club. Oscar doesn't have the same appeal I'm afraid

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I feel like somethings gotta give eventually. If there is no great improvement this Summer then the fans will vote with their feet. Unless Bloom and co. come out and outwardly say we want to be a midtable Championship team with a good run every 5 years, then they will vote with their feet anyway, but at least we won't be deluded by hopes of progression.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here