Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy club?!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
About this time last year I watched Brighton play Bristol City away and not manage one shot, not one on or of target, the entire match. That was also the match CMS got injured and when our new centre forward from Argentina looked a total waste of money.

Talk about depressing.

But I seem to remember the league table didn't look so bad by the end of the season....

It was a depressing game but the previous two weeks had seen us beat Cardiff away and Huddersfield 4-1. We were already in a playoff position so could 'afford' to drop two points.

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
I feel like somethings gotta give eventually. If there is no great improvement this Summer then the fans will vote with their feet. Unless Bloom and co. come out and outwardly say we want to be a midtable Championship team with a good run every 5 years, then they will vote with their feet anyway, but at least we won't be deluded by hopes of progression.

Said pretty much the same on another thread, they need to be honest about our aspiration.

Today's game was awful and I do blame the manager. Not saying he should go at all, but setting up like that against a team down on confidence and with a crowd ready to get on their backs, and a poor defence, while our playoff rivals stormed ahead the day before, was ludicrous. He is too married to the one up front which has meant some dour games this season.

Give me more attacking football and this losing more but winning more swashbuckling style we all thought we were going to get. We could still be in the same position but the money I've spent this year would feel better spent.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
At this moment in time I don't think the majority of unhappiness stems from not spending, it's more to do with the very lacklustre football on display.

Edit. He also said he has an obsession with attacking football ???

The nub of the issue. I haven't been to every game this season, but of those I've seen, Oscar's team selections, let alone tactics don't scream of an 'obsession' with attacking football. Granted injuries have restricted his options somewhat at times, but there does seem a general timidity about our play. If your main attacking threat is a CF who thrives on crosses into the box, why, when they are available would you not pick at least one out and out winger ? That makes no sense.

Most of us on here will continue supporting regardless, but football these days is a results and entertainment business. If we are getting results, no-one cares about how we play. Likewise, if we lose, having given it a really good go, fans can accept that. If however we start to slide down the table, and the football on offer is dull, attendances will undoubtedly drop, with the financial consequences.

I hope and believe we will have a decent end to the season, but getting into the playoffs will be a tall order. Hopefully Oscar will have a decent amount of money to spend this summer and he can properly have time to build and mould his side pre-season, so we can have a real crack at promotion next year watching football we can all get excited about.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The nub of the issue. I haven't been to every game this season, but of those I've seen, Oscar's team selections, let alone tactics don't scream of an 'obsession' with attacking football. Granted injuries have restricted his options somewhat at times, but there does seem a general timidity about our play. If your main attacking threat is a CF who thrives on crosses into the box, why, when they are available would you not pick at least one out and out winger ? That makes no sense.

Most of us on here will continue supporting regardless, but football these days is a results and entertainment business. If we are getting results, no-one cares about how we play. Likewise, if we lose, having given it a really good go, fans can accept that. If however we start to slide down the table, and the football on offer is dull, attendances will undoubtedly drop, with the financial consequences.

I hope and believe we will have a decent end to the season, but getting into the playoffs will be a tall order. Hopefully Oscar will have a decent amount of money to spend this summer and he can properly have time to build and mould his side pre-season, so we can have a real crack at promotion next year watching football we can all get excited about.
Spot on fella, spot on :thumbsup:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It seems to me that many of those of NSC want more than can reasonably be delivered. OK we lost today but we have won more than we have lost this season and are still in the FA Cup. We are still in a creditable position in the league and have money in the kitty for loan players.

Gordon Greer seems to be getting a slating but he has been an integral part of a defence which has let in few goals this season.

As to today's game we hit the bar and had a goal disallowed. I was not there but were Watford that much better ? I do not hear of much action for our goalkeeper.

Perhaps it is best to keep away from knee jerk comments on here after a defeat.

If Gus has a few spare moments up north he will be reading much of this with a smile. This could be the icing on his cake.

Just one further thought. If Tony feels he has lost the supporters will he look to sell out and give somebody else a go. That could prove very upsetting.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Tens of millions? Van Dijk went to Celtic for just 500K more than we offered.

I'm not talking about one player, Gus would have known that the team needed a complete overhaul whether we were promoted or not. When you think of the quality he walked into at Sunderland there is a massive jump in costs. How much is Adam Johnson worth? £7m-£10m and rising as we speak.

What Gus wanted is what he is playing with now and we can't compete with that even if we wanted to.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm not talking about one player, Gus would have known that the team needed a complete overhaul whether we were promoted or not. When you think of the quality he walked into at Sunderland there is a massive jump in costs. How much is Adam Johnson worth? £7m-£10m and rising as we speak.

What Gus wanted is what he is playing with now and we can't compete with that even if we wanted to.

the games I saw albeit on MOTD Johnson was worth diddly squat before Gus got to Sunderland, johnson just needed unlocking

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
the games I saw albeit on MOTD Johnson was worth diddly squat before Gus got to Sunderland, johnson just needed unlocking

Yep, he had a brief spell of being good, playing for England, going to Man C and then sold to Sunderland for £10m. He has found his form again under Gus but always had this potential.

A very expensive player though regardless.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
It looks like a lot of players will not be here next season and they probably know it. I think we have 8 players out of contract this summer and we are currently working with a vapour trail of Poyet's reign which cannot be changed overnight.

Nail on the head

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact is the football is boring. We've had the fewest goals per game in the division - less than 2 goals per game.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I'm hoping this is a consolidation season and something TB expected. I'm hoping. Agree with your post.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I think this is the case. If we fluked promotion most of the players couldn't cut it in the Prem and they would have to leave this summer, and because they aren't good enough to win promotion they will have to go this summer.

Essentially we are working with an old and patched up Poyet team.

Oscars future team will consist of Ince, March, JFC, Stephens, Rodders, Monakana, Obika, Crofts, KLL and hopefully Kuz if we can keep him and possibly Ward. It would be good for CMS and Hoskins to revive their careers here. This summer when players contracts are over we will have to get ten new ones in to freshen things up.

God it's going to be a summer transfer binfest on here!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Tens of millions? Van Dijk went to Celtic for just 500K more than we offered.

That might be true but it's not the full story though as he went to Celtic in the summer when they were prepared to sell him, Where we tried to buy him in the January when they were not willing to let him leave unless it was for silly money.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm not so sure, there is definitely unrest within the players, the interviews that Bruno and Ward gave were indicative of this, and Kemy's tweets add weight to matter. A small, vocal minority of "fans" were unhappy by the apparent lack of investment in the window, we're falling behind in the play off race, we haven't played particularly well all season and there isn't anything to suggest that's about to change.
Corrected for you.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
It seems to me that many of those of NSC want more than can reasonably be delivered. OK we lost today but we have won more than we have lost this season and are still in the FA Cup. We are still in a creditable position in the league and have money in the kitty for loan players.

Gordon Greer seems to be getting a slating but he has been an integral part of a defence which has let in few goals this season.

As to today's game we hit the bar and had a goal disallowed. I was not there but were Watford that much better ? I do not hear of much action for our goalkeeper.

Perhaps it is best to keep away from knee jerk comments on here after a defeat.

If Gus has a few spare moments up north he will be reading much of this with a smile. This could be the icing on his cake.

Just one further thought. If Tony feels he has lost the supporters will he look to sell out and give somebody else a go. That could prove very upsetting.

For me it's not the league position (which is fine given injuries etc) it's the negative attitude of the manager and the boring football.
Look at the Derby game - dull as anything until McLaren made attacking substitutions and changed formation - something Oscar never does.
Even many of the wins we have had have been boring games. I fear for the season ticket numbers next season given this brand of football.
I was disappointed with the transfer window but even with the players we have we can put out a team with attacking intent. I'd rather lose having put up a fight rather than roll over pathetically.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd take Kemy's comments with a pinch of salt, he's basically out of the team which is bound to be pissing him off. Although generally I agree that something isn't right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here