Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus sees him every day in training...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Can I just say, this argument - used so so casually by members of our North Stand Chat community as a way to back our fine manager - really riles me.

Yes, Gus may 'see him every day in training', but since when did training count for anything, win a match... what counts is Saturday 3pm when said player is in front of thousands of supporters, really counts.

And this notion that Gus sees things that others cannot see is simply ridiculous - Gus is managing a second tier English football team, look back at the 100s of other managers who have done the same and more. Yes, he must have a very fine football brain, but that offers little credit to other supports who too have watched the game for years. And in fact, sometimes the most obvious observations, which are often too obvious to appear to warrant serious consideration (poor touch, lack of pace etc), are the most telling.

I think Gus is a cracking manager, but he is human, has an opinion and can be wrong - as I think he has been with his fairly crude statements about letting Vincelot and Sparrow go.

The thing is, Gus does make decisions based on a complete view of each of his players in training and during a match and this isn't a casual statement. He is responsible for making decisions but he doesn't work on his own; he'll take advice from Tanno, Charlie, Luke Williams & Dave Burke. They see the big picture based on their collective ability and understanding of football at the highest levels. They do see things that you or I don't.

I, like every supporter, can watch one of our players make a mistake or appear to be out of position. I accept that just as I accept that Gus does make mistakes. However, getting riled about it and suggesting that it's only the 90 minutes on the pitch as seen from your perspective that counts is just facile.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
what gets on my tits, is we see players for 90mins once a week, he see's the player every day, he is also a pro footballer and knows the game inside out he was world class, yet to many people on here play football manager and think they know it all.

Yep, agreed.

As for people saying Gus can't see things in training that we don't, we'll that is just ridiculous. Attitude, for example. Understanding of his tactics, willingness to accept his authority etc etc. Plus as someone else said, maybe their contract situation means they are the best ones to get rid of.

Whatever we see on the pitch, and whatever anyone thinks they know about football, we probably only see about 5% of the big picture at the Albion. If Gus thinks that those two are the ones that need to move on, well that's fine by me. Not that he gives a shit what I think.

Personally I'd keep them both, but I don't see the whole picture. But he's been a major success so far, so he has my full backing on this one. Trust in Gus.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
what gets on my tits, is we see players for 90mins once a week, he see's the player every day, he is also a pro footballer and knows the game inside out he was world class, yet to many people on here play football manager and think they know it all.
And what gets on my tits even more, is despite all this, he can't pick a formation to match his squad. Keeps whining he doesn't have the cash to buy a striker that suits his system, instead of playing a system which suits his strikers!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And what gets on my tits even more, is despite all this, he can't pick a formation to match his squad. Keeps whining he doesn't have the cash to buy a striker that suits his system, instead of playing a system which suits his strikers!!

So you're whining about the manager whining?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So you're whining about the manager whining?
Yep, that's what its come to. Whining about a whining manager. just like your whining about someone whining about our whining manager. It's a vicious circle.

He says after every game he's learnt something about the team, he learns this and he learns that, but he still can't stop moaning he can't afford a striker we need for our system, despite a near £6m outlay on CMS (fee and wages) who turned into a bit part player last season. I Wonder why our Tone aint throwing money at Gus' latest choice of striker!!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

.....Is the correct answer.

Gus has got us from league one also rans to knocking on the door of the premier league. I think I'll stick with him rather than anything I read on here. Some of you know your onions but an equal amount have not got a f***ing clue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep, that's what its come to. Whining about a whining manager. just like your whining about someone whining about our whining manager. It's a vicious circle.

He says after every game he's learnt something about the team, he learns this and he learns that, but he still can't stop moaning he can't afford a striker we need for our system, despite a near £6m outlay on CMS (fee and wages) who turned into a bit part player last season. I Wonder why our Tone aint throwing money at Gus' latest choice of striker!!!
I simply asked a question.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
On the evening of the 1st September we'll know the results of the first 4 league games and the transfer window will be closed. Perhaps by then we'll have some idea of how things are shaping - not much point being hyper-critical now ( despite Swindon ) or coming out with all the Gus...god....genius.. talk.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011

But you have had it in for gus from day 1, u never have a good thing to say about him.

Maybe just maybe our apparent star striker just couldnt make the step up.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's a pity he's dumping Spaz and Vincelot but if we harbour Premiership ambitions they would need to go. Bit bewildered why they were the first to get the axe, and would have assumed Harley, Dicker and Painter would have been ahead of those two. Maybe it is contractual but I thought apart from Harley they all had one year left and anyway not sure what contract has to do with it. The only relevance I can see is the wages will be the start point for the player when it comes to negotiations and in Harleys case it would be a pretty short discussion if he wasn't prepared to take a cut in order to play and prove himself at a lower level (whatever that means!)

All 5 need to go, and replaced with higher quality but as money will be an issue I'd still prefer to see those 5 out and 2 coming in

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don't play football manager but I know a shit player when I see one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
All 5 need to go, and replaced with higher quality but as money will be an issue I'd still prefer to see those 5 out and 2 coming in

This is the nub of the issue and I agree with your assessment if we want to progress as a football club - as with any organisation - the personnel needs to change. We should be grateful to them in helping get us to where we are but if we are to continue to improve then there must be changes. Given that we agree the football club must remain solvent maximal return on investment must be acheived if that means losing some of the depth (read on here there are 11 midfielders on the books??) to improve quality than some players need to go.

What I don't understand is why this always comes down to the last minute and the stupidity of the transfer window concept. It seems like all the clubs hold out until the 11th hour to make decisions which then fuels frantic bidding elsewhere creating a vicious circle. For the last two years Gus has said how he would like to have his full squad for the upcoming season in place on the first day of pre-season yet we still have players in the squad who are clearly not in his plans, and we continue to have gaps in certain areas.

To quote a catchphrase: "Football's a funny old game."...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

That means nothing at all. I could name a list of players as long as your arm, of players who were equally as good as Poyet but couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery.This season is Poyet's acid test, he has had his honeymoon period. He has got an entire squad of players that HE has bought into the club, no one else. The buck stops with him, end of story. Let the season begin..............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here