Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus sees him every day in training...

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
Can I just say, this argument - used so so casually by members of our North Stand Chat community as a way to back our fine manager - really riles me.

Yes, Gus may 'see him every day in training', but since when did training count for anything, win a match... what counts is Saturday 3pm when said player is in front of thousands of supporters, really counts.

And this notion that Gus sees things that others cannot see is simply ridiculous - Gus is managing a second tier English football team, look back at the 100s of other managers who have done the same and more. Yes, he must have a very fine football brain, but that offers little credit to other supports who too have watched the game for years. And in fact, sometimes the most obvious observations, which are often too obvious to appear to warrant serious consideration (poor touch, lack of pace etc), are the most telling.

I think Gus is a cracking manager, but he is human, has an opinion and can be wrong - as I think he has been with his fairly crude statements about letting Vincelot and Sparrow go.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think Gus is a cracking manager, but he is human, has an opinion and can be wrong - as I think he has been with his fairly crude statements about letting Vincelot and Sparrow go.

To be fair though, they are a bit LIGHTWEIGHT. Seriously, how badly will they be missed?

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
Wish I left off the last comment - mainly reference to people saying that Gus can see Vincelot doesn't do things that most of us clearly do i.e. he's a good second fullback.

123Beano

Aug 1, 2012
Vincelot is possibly the most versatile player I've ever seen, what a great asset to have in the squad. Put him on the bench and you cover half the pitch! I spoke to him today on Brighton seafront and told him how I think he's a great asset to the team and Poyet was ridiculous to say those things and he thanked me for the support and said how he really wants to stay, to publicly slate him and Sparrow like that was uncalled for - Dicker and Harley do naff all in my books, they're the two to go

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Who knows what goes on behind the scenes but I can only judge what I see on the pitch. Vincelot and Sparrow are far better than Harley and Dicker IMO.
Completely agree [MENTION=318]Captain Sensible[/MENTION]. Would rather keep these 2 anyday, if finances are a problem :clap2:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I see what you are saying, but Gus sees him every day in training.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I think sparrow offers far mor than harley ever will but its just opinions.

The thing is with that,we have seen the very best Sparrow can produce,but I can't help thinking Harley has a lot more to offer,I'm just not sure we are ever going to see it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

D

Deleted member 2719

Can I just say, this argument - used so so casually by members of our North Stand Chat community as a way to back our fine manager - really riles me.

Yes, Gus may 'see him every day in training', but since when did training count for anything, win a match... what counts is Saturday 3pm when said player is in front of thousands of supporters, really counts.

And this notion that Gus sees things that others cannot see is simply ridiculous - Gus is managing a second tier English football team, look back at the 100s of other managers who have done the same and more. Yes, he must have a very fine football brain, but that offers little credit to other supports who too have watched the game for years. And in fact, sometimes the most obvious observations, which are often too obvious to appear to warrant serious consideration (poor touch, lack of pace etc), are the most telling.

I am 100% behind you, Gus has let the wrong midfielders go, i suppose time will tell but maybe in the January transfer window he will have to re-strengthen his midfield again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Completely agree [MENTION=318]Captain Sensible[/MENTION]. Would rather keep these 2 anyday, if finances are a problem :clap2:
I could just be as simple as contractual.

They had the best contracts to 'dump'.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
what gets on my tits, is we see players for 90mins once a week, he see's the player every day, he is also a pro footballer and knows the game inside out he was world class, yet to many people on here play football manager and think they know it all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wish I left off the last comment - mainly reference to people saying that Gus can see Vincelot doesn't do things that most of us clearly do i.e. he's a good second fullback.

Vincelot had a problem with his shoulder that kept dislocating. He was going to wait until the summer to have an operation, so, for all we know, the operation may have been unsuccessful and he can no longer play 90 minutes of a game for us.
We don't know what goes on behind the scenes but if we knew better than the manager, then we'd be doing his job better than him. All managers make mistakes, so Harley is still a 'wait & see' player imo.
The players didn't find out through the press, as Poyet told each player a few weeks ago who was needed and who could find a new club after he'd been in Spain with them 24/7. Andy Naylor has been covering the Olympics so is only just catching up and putting his own spin on things. The same Andy Naylor who tweeted that we were going to sign Balmy when out in Spain which was totally wrong.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I could just be as simple as contractual.

They had the best contracts to 'dump'.

It could be contracts I suppose. I'd rather see if we could loan these two out, and keep them for back up, just in case we get a major midfield injury crisis.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I have read on here that Harley is on a contract which pays him £8k a week. If that is the case there is no realistic chance of him finding a club which is going to meet anything like that.

Defensively at present the club has Calderon and El Ab who are not first choice and who can fill a range of defensive positions. Vincelot therefore comes in as third reserve choice. Is anybody saying he is 'better' than Calderon or El Ab ?

If Gus is making such a big mistake in making Vincelot and Sparrow available why are they not yet on their way ?

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
what gets on my tits, is we see players for 90mins once a week, he see's the player every day, he is also a pro footballer and knows the game inside out he was world class, yet to many people on here play football manager and think they know it all.

I would say pretty much this. And also vince and spaz are in demand and easier to offload to other clubs. Harley hasnt impressed as of yet and will therefor not be on the radar of many clubs - may be easier to let his contract run down.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I am 100% behind you, Gus has let the wrong midfielders go, i suppose time will tell but maybe in the January transfer window he will have to re-strengthen his midfield again.

We probably need to free up wages as has already been said, Gus rates Vincelot he has said as much on many occasion,but as Kev has said who the fcuk is going to take Harley off our hands

D

Deleted member 2719

It could be contracts I suppose. I'd rather see if we could loan these two out, and keep them for back up, just in case we get a major midfield injury crisis.
Totally agree i think if we get down to Dicker and Harley playing we have hit crisis point.

D

Deleted member 2719

We probably need to free up wages as has already been said, Gus rates Vincelot he has said as much on many occasion,but as Kev has said who the fcuk is going to take Harley off our hands

Yeah maybe i suppose we are going have to see how it pans out and if Gus and Tony have another hand to play (transfers/loans) IMO we are too weak in the middle of the park (squad wise).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here