Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that rewriting history? It was alleged that he rang Bloom in the days before that game to say he wanted to leave and that if he could he would leave straight away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23363030

So, instead of it being the 'wistful musings' of a manager basking in the glory of defeating the arch enemy, it was someone who wanted to jump ship before the game had even taken place!!!

I was sitting in the east stand after the game having a beer, maybe 20 minutes after the final whistle, when GP appeared alone from the tunnel and just stood for a minute or so looking around the stadium.
To me it had the feeling of someone having one last look around the ground before he was off.

Anyway, I liked the period he was here. I looked forward to every match, it felt exciting having him as the manager and we got a lot of exposure because of that.

It then turned suddenly sour, probably around that March time. He was definitely in sulk mode from that point on. Sat back with arms folded, no passion any longer from him on the sidelines, Charlie Oatway doing post match interviews.
I think the players went on a good run despite that but, to me, it was his demeanor during the second leg of the play offs and obviously the comments afterwards that will forever sour my memories of his time with us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But unless I halucinated, I heard an interview with Poyet somewhere where he said immediately after the Palace game that it would be the best time for him to leave.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10295094.Poyet__This_was_one_to_savour/

The Albion manager admitted: "This is a day to stop time and stay here forever. I'd like to finish a season like this."

He added: "If you need to leave, your last game at the football club, this is the perfect way to leave and to finish a career.

"After the day we went up, because that was unique, this is the best day (as Albion manager) no doubt by far."

"As soon as you get in this football club you know one thing, you need to beat Palace. And it's my first victory so I'm going to enjoy it, that's for sure."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But unless I halucinated, I heard an interview with Poyet somewhere where he said immediately after the Palace game that it would be the best time for him to leave.

You're right, he did.
The Tony Bloom revelation came out a few months later.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10295094.Poyet__This_was_one_to_savour/
The Albion manager admitted: "This is a day to stop time and stay here forever. I'd like to finish a season like this."

He added: "If you need to leave, your last game at the football club, this is the perfect way to leave and to finish a career.

"After the day we went up, because that was unique, this is the best day (as Albion manager) no doubt by far."

"As soon as you get in this football club you know one thing, you need to beat Palace. And it's my first victory so I'm going to enjoy it, that's for sure."

He may well have said that at a press conference, I don't doubt it. However, what he says to the press and, ergo, for the consumption of the general footballing public, doesn't change what he said or felt behind closed doors with TB.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Turned out he was right about Burke though eh? As was Oscar.

I am totally ambivalent towards Gus tbh but I think - albeit with a horror season and via a roundabout route - that we have arrived at a much better place than when he left. Great mix of youth and experience, Category A Academy, fantastic British manager playing exciting football and who has a bagload of contacts and experience at this level. All that has relegated Gus to just another footnote in history for me.

Seeing him end up at Swindon WOULD be funny though.
Irish !

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Born in England, spent whole life and professional career in England, played and assistant manager for Ireland. My kids could play for Scotland or Ireland, but they are still English.
So Raheem sterling is Jamaican then ?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I'm surprised he didn't go for Leeds. Wasn't he always bragging about going to manage Leeds when he was supposed to be working for us?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Is it not possible to have a different nationality by birth but qualify to represent another country?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Jesus do you have to disrupt every single thread with your pedantic nationalist shit that literally nobody else except DiP and the three mongs give a tuppeny f**k about?

Nothing nationalistic about it at all, was just having a joke , pointing out that he was Irish not British, and using the others as examples, no need to throw your toys out of the pram because you've been proved wrong.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Nothing nationalistic about it at all, was just having a joke , pointing out that he was Irish not British, and using the others as examples, no need to throw your toys out of the pram because you've been proved wrong.

I'm not sure he is wrong. My take on it is that he is British by birth but qualified to play for Ireland as he had an Irish mother. Anyway, stupid argument.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
:lolol:

I wonder what the egotist himself would think of a thread about him being derailed to discuss someone else's nationality.

It's all about Gus, don't forget.

:lolol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Whatever you think about poyet the manager , poyet the person is a tosser , this is the man who left Chelsea for Spurs (on a par with Murray for palace if you're a Chelsea fan) and kissed the Tottenham badge in front of our fans when they scored against us.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whatever you think about poyet the manager , poyet the person is a tosser , this is the man who left Chelsea for Spurs (on a par with Murray for place if you're a Chelsea fan) and kissed the Tottenham badge in front of our fans when they scored against us.
Indeed. If Murray had kissed the Palace badge... let's just say it wouldn't have gone down too well !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm surprised he didn't go for Leeds. Wasn't he always bragging about going to manage Leeds when he was supposed to be working for us?

How can you be surpised ? Leeds is a complete CIRCUS of a club now. It has been for years, but Cellino has somehow managed to drag it down to a whole new level of buffoonery. Any football manager with a smidgeon of self-respect and professionalism would not touch that club with a shitty stick (hence Evans's appointment).

Anyway, I see the usual revisionists are out in force again on a Gus thread, rewriting history because they can't get over the sour ending. We were fantastic under Poyet, it was three and a half years where the club progressed and grew out of all recognition from the pitiful level it had sank to. A new stadium on the horizon and TB's backing never guaranteed that would happen - certainly not at the rate it did. Gus got it right, brilliantly right on the pitch for us. His infectious enthusiasm, belief and charisma helped land us some truly memorable players, and the spine of the squad he built stood us in good stead long after he'd gone.

Yes his ego eventually took over, but he still gave me some of the best years (and games) I've ever had as a supporter of this club. Calling our promotion "unexciting" and bemoaning a style of play that swept us from the arse-end of L1 to the brink of the PL is the sourest, sourest of grapes. He's one of the best managers we've ever had, probably THE best bar Mullery. Deal with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here