Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Yorkie banging on about Gus again. Standard.

My take on it?

Gus was terrific when here, played some of the best football most of us will see in a lifetime. And he's an absolute hero for that, we'll never forget it.

However, he's also a bit of a cock. His arrogance, wanting it to be all about him rather than Brighton & Hove Albion FC, means he also turned into a bit of a cock, which is a shame as it spoiled things towards the end (even though we finished the season as strongly as possible before we messed up the play-offs). He should have got us into the Premier League with that squad but didn't. A great shame - but hopefully he'll be remembered for the good times.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
How many promotions have you seen then?

Back to when we won the old division 3 when we had Gary Nelson up top. What's that late 80's? So a few.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
No but you seem to be, as does [MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION]. You can try re-writing history if you want, but the fact is that when Poyet got here, we were in the same sort of position in league one as Hughton found us in the division above when he arrived. We were not riding the crest of a wave. In that third of a season, Poyet steered us to safety, and re-established El Abd's confidence. It was obvious to the board he knew what he was doing, so they backed him in the transfer market in the close season, and he repaid them in spades. We played fantastic football on the way to the title the very next season, then finished mid table, then could easily have gone up automatically the season after that - all under Poyet.

All of that is fact.

Sure, he was negative at times, he made a couple of poor marquee signings, and then lost the plot by believing he was too good for the club and that left a bitter taste. But really, I'd prefer to remember his era positively, and ignore his human shortcomings and consider that the current situation is simply chickens coming home to roost. I'll have a wry smile because of it, but it's not our loss, it's his. Meanwhile he gave us 3.5 years of mostly great memories and I'll remember him for that.

Exactly how I see the Poyet years.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
No individual is bigger than BHAFC, no matter what he achieved I'm afraid Poyet blotted his copy book in my opinion and I will never forgive him for the way he spoke about the club and in particular TB.

Let's see how low the ceiling is at Swindon and hope he doesn't bang his head on the way in.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It wasn't the ceiling comment that put me off him. It was the fact that he had already told the players he was off (albeit he thought it was to Fulham) and had tapped up Bridcutt and Buckley long before that game. It started very well, but that last season was all Project Poyet while BHA were paying his wages. *Allegedly*

I'm afraid for me it is, as the kids say, meh

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Back to when we won the old division 3 when we had Gary Nelson up top. What's that late 80's? So a few.

Fine, I go back to the two before that, Ward tearing defences apart and making defenders look like mugs. We won loads of games 3 or 4 nil. Add in a couple of games with 7. 79 getting promoted for the very first time to the top flight playing attacking football. 10,000 at St James Park. Your first promotion with Garry Nelson now tearing a new one for defenders. Penny playing on the right wing and the Curbishley running midfield. The back to back promotions when we went head to head with the cheaters from Chesterfield. Finishing over 9pts clear which nullified their pts deduction. BZ now performing surgery on defenders with Carpenter driving forward from midfield. Then the following year competing against the wallet of Madjeski. In 2004, a last minute equaliser against Swindon! Leon Knight banging in the goals.

So, I'll stand by my opinion that of all the promotions I've seen, 2010/11 was the least exciting.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I remember Gus wistfully musing after the St Patrick's Day massacre that it would be the best time for him to leave at the point.

As it turned out - although he wouldn't have been understood for going - it would have been, and he'd have left with a great legacy.
( And it's not impossible that we may even have been promoted instead of Palace )

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I remember Gus wistfully musing after the St Patrick's Day massacre that it would be the best time for him to leave at the point.

As it turned out - although he wouldn't have been understood for going - it would have been, and he'd have left with a great legacy.
( And it's not impossible that we may even have been promoted instead of Palace )

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that rewriting history? It was alleged that he rang Bloom in the days before that game to say he wanted to leave and that if he could he would leave straight away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23363030

So, instead of it being the 'wistful musings' of a manager basking in the glory of defeating the arch enemy, it was someone who wanted to jump ship before the game had even taken place!!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that rewriting history? It was alleged that he rang Bloom in the days before that game to say he wanted to leave and that if he could he would leave straight away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23363030

So, instead of it being the 'wistful musings' of a manager basking in the glory of defeating the arch enemy, it was someone who wanted to jump ship before the game had even taken place!!!

Maybe, I don't really remember that, but I do remember him postulating that it would be the best time to leave after the match.

Nothing would surprise me with the charismatic serpent though - this was around the same time as his Reading shenanigans, afterall.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Was football that good with Gus? It was very boring but got results.Football under Chris is much better to watch.

When it was good - it was "effing brilliant". I missed Charlton away but the performance at London Road still warms the cockles of my heart.

The style was not universally popular for sure - but it was an education in possession football (albeit Gus was a bit negatively minded).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe, I don't really remember that, but I do remember him postulating that it would be the best time to leave after the match.

Nothing would surprise me with the charismatic serpent though - this was around the same time as his Reading shenanigans, afterall.

And that, to me, seems to be the problem. A romantic picture you painted of him is not supported by the reports from Bloom, which, as far as I'm aware, haven't been refuted by Poyet, so you ignore them!!!! Poyet will no doubt be flattered by your continuing love of him. :facepalm:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And that, to me, seems to be the problem. A romantic picture you painted of him is not supported by the reports from Bloom, which, as far as I'm aware, haven't been refuted by Poyet, so you ignore them!!!! Poyet will no doubt be flattered by your continuing love of him. :facepalm:
Ha ha! Have I missed your sarcasm ? :lolol:

I detest the bloke.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It was Tony Bloom who said it. Poyet offered to resign and Bloom refused to accept it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It was Tony Bloom who said it. Poyet offered to resign and Bloom refused to accept it.
But unless I halucinated, I heard an interview with Poyet somewhere where he said immediately after the Palace game that it would be the best time for him to leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here