Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Saying he wasn't as successful in the Championship is disingenuous. We had a top ten finish in the first year and play offs in the second year. We were his first managerial position.

Fans talking of loyalty make me chuckle. Only the fans are loyal, to managers and players it is a job. You cannot tell me, that if you were offered three times your salary for doing the same job, you wouldn't take it.

I would, but I wouldn't expect anything but the sack if I made it public knowledge that I'd love to be working at a bigger and more established company than the one paying my salary, at every possible opportunity.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Still surprised at the number of fans who still think Poyet's blatant touting was not totally disrespectful to THEIR club! How needy must you be to be able to accept that from your manager? Chris Hughton may be just as ambitious as Poyet but I have not heard him utter a single sentence about wanting to join another club.

Poyet had plenty of very good traits and abilities but the touting was too much to ignore IMO. Good riddance
Spot on
It's a physiological thing with many plonker fans...
When you go to a betting shop and place 6 bets and one wins....you remember the win,but not the 5 losses.
When BHA played 12 games and one game they played brilliant under poyet...they remember the one brilliant game and never the Bristol city or Barnsley type games.
When a club has been plotless and shite for years and suddenly become wealthy and very good....Certain fans will just have the poyet years fixated in their brain as it was the best years for decades without thinking about what they're saying.Yes,but other major factors help towards this including a new stadium and a £23 million wage bill etc etc etc bla bla bla.

According to many poyet was God and the funds and stadium plus the feel good factor never meant anything???
He had his moments that's for sure :)

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Saying he wasn't as successful in the Championship is disingenuous. We had a top ten finish in the first year and play offs in the second year. We were his first managerial position.

Fans talking of loyalty make me chuckle. Only the fans are loyal, to managers and players it is a job. You cannot tell me, that if you were offered three times your salary for doing the same job, you wouldn't take it.

I don't think anyone said he was not successful. He made mistakes. Who doesn't?
He seemed to be saying 'Brighton fans know I'm too good to stay with them and they understand that one day I'll go to manage a bigger club.' He was saying, we were lucky to have him as a manager but we were never going to be a club that is big enough for him to manage. Sure he was speaking his mind but would it not have been better for both us and him for him to keep his powder dry?

Kuma

*dons shades*
Aug 22, 2015
Midlands
With a guy like Poyet I don't think you can argue he was totally bad or good.

We achieved a lot of great things under him and considering it was his first proper managerial job I think he deserves praise for what he did with us. But it did always seem to me that he thought of us as the work experience before getting to the main job (i.e. Premier League). Also his attitude at times was a lot to be desired, I remember in a post match interview on Football League Show we had won like 2 or 3-0 or something and he complained we didn't score more goals and he was disappointed in the squad. I was like eh? Also the whole touting and the many fall outs he had with players and the club etc. is not something that anyone can defend imo.

But with that said I still have a basic respect for him and won't wish him ill in a new job. It is just now I don't care what he does any more. I didn't at Sunderland and I won't if he goes Swindon. There's a time and a place to move on and to me it has already passed.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's great to have this debate again.

I mean I completely understand those who didn't like how we played under him. Goals, promotion, flair and playoffs are massively over rated.

What I prioritise are my feelings not being hurt, bland press conferences with generic token phrases and not having our style of play recognised across the country as positive.

I completely understand both sides.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Let's not re-write history Poyet was fantastic for us and only his impatience and delusion he was ready to manage at a much higher level have found him where he is now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's great to have this debate again.

I mean I completely understand those who didn't like how we played under him. Goals, promotion, flair and playoffs are massively over rated.

What I prioritise are my feelings not being hurt, bland press conferences with generic token phrases and not having our style of play recognised across the country as positive.

I completely understand both sides.

Clearly you don't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am also totally ambivalent about him (the euphoria of the last year at Withdean neatly balanced by the lack of a game changer on the bench against Palarse) but far more pertinently, Poyet would've thrown a wobbly even if the best head of football operations in the world had been appointed as it diminished his influence and eroded his power base.

A role we don't have any more. And look where we are......

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I didn't like Poyet, never did. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he did initially. The football we played was intelligent but it was fast free flowing football. Watching El Abd and Greer passing the ball between them is possession football, it is not entertaining. It is though, very effective. It got us promoted. He then had the benefit of the money that TB was investing. Unfortunately, he spunked a lot on CMS who didn't live up to his goal scoring reputation. Bloom backed him with Ulloa which was a success. Poyet always thought he was bigger than the club and that we were a stepping stone. I have no problem with that however, the issue is that he didn't keep it to himself. He didn't manage the situation well and that goes for his departure.

I much prefer the football we are playing at the moment but many won't be happy because we don't have a manager ranting and raving at the side lines, or spouting off in the press. Simple word that separates Poyet from Houghton is dignity. That said, Houghton has had considerably more years experience in the job and more setbacks. Poyet could end up being a top manager but until he learns to manage situations better he'll always end up shooting himself in the foot.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you deliberately missing the point. We had a new stadium on the horizon, a new Chairman who was now backing the team with a larger wallet, everything being geared up to be a bigger club.

He still had to fight a relegation battle before getting his own players in. The crest of the wave was 18 months later.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Still surprised at the number of fans who still think Poyet's blatant touting was not totally disrespectful to THEIR club! How needy must you be to be able to accept that from your manager? Chris Hughton may be just as ambitious as Poyet but I have not heard him utter a single sentence about wanting to join another club.

The people who take the position 'eh, I don't care if he admits to having career ambitions away from the club, he'll only get to achieve them if he can prove to be successful here, so we'll get some success out him, he can move on and we'll be in a better position' are the needy ones?

What does that make the people who get angry because their manager talked about other clubs, that two and a half years after he's gone they're still upset about him not devoting every word out of his mouth to them?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A role we don't have any more. And look where we are......
Once again you can't say that, because that Director of Football wasn't given the same financial backing as the current set up.

It's possible (granted unlikely) that the other way round you'd currently be singing Burke's praises.
Had Burke not been employed until last Christmas having taken over from an inept team that thought they could get away with spending 4th division money on a 2nd division team.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Quality manager and a fantastic era for BHA.

Some of the shit written about Poyet when he was with us is frankly laughable. Yes it ended bitterly sadly but during his reign i loved every minute(mostly)

I wish him well and he is easily capable of managing any Championship side.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Once again you can't say that, because that Director of Football wasn't given the same financial backing as the current set up.

It's possible (granted unlikely) that the other way round you'd currently be singing Burke's praises.
Had Burke not been employed until last Christmas having taken over from an inept team that thought they could get away with spending 4th division money on a 2nd division team.

Sorry but that's nonsense. If money was the issue then not only was Poyet right about the ceiling but he was also right about the DoF's ability to ask for, secure and use correctly additional funding. Hughton has been strong enough to drive through the structural changes, secure a budget he was happy with and use it wisely. But he's done it collaboratively with Barber and Bloom, he hasn't had someone in the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here