Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Funny how Gus Poyet thought we were a stepping stone for his ambitions and now we could get to the PL whilst he is SINGING on at the DOLE every week
Maybe JobCentre Plus are FORCING him to apply for the Swindon Job...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Well if you're more familiar with Poyet's managerial qualities than Lee Cattermole, I wonder when you played for him?

Player from rubbish team in critcisng ex-manager shock.

I will probably trust my own eyes rather than the opinion of a disgruntled midfield kicking machine taking a pop at his former manager rather than maybe admitting that him and his team mates have been woeful for about 5 years on the trot.

I've SEEN my team be the fourth highest scorers in a tough division after being promoted. If that is being crap at attacking football then I would LOVE to have seen us when Gus had learnt a thing or two from Sunderlands attacking powerhouses Jose Altidore, Connor Wickham and Steven Fletcher.

Also, Lee seems' to change his mind a fair bit - Taken from March 15....the month Poyet was sacked.
"The midfielder insisted even the senior players had improved through working with Poyet since he was called in to clear up the chaos left by Paolo Di Canio.

"The manager is doing a good job," he said. "It doesn't happen overnight. You have to get players in and out. You have to be patient in football.

"There are no doubts. We are all pushing in the same direction and have to make sure we finish this season well. The Premier League is going to get stronger and stronger, so it is such a big effort to stay in the league."

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Turned out he was right about Burke though eh? As was Oscar.

I am totally ambivalent towards Gus tbh but I think - albeit with a horror season and via a roundabout route - that we have arrived at a much better place than when he left. Great mix of youth and experience, Category A Academy, fantastic British manager playing exciting football and who has a bagload of contacts and experience at this level. All that has relegated Gus to just another footnote in history for me.

Seeing him end up at Swindon WOULD be funny though.

I am also totally ambivalent about him (the euphoria of the last year at Withdean neatly balanced by the lack of a game changer on the bench against Palarse) but far more pertinently, Poyet would've thrown a wobbly even if the best head of football operations in the world had been appointed as it diminished his influence and eroded his power base.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Poyet would be a great appointment for Swindon. Would be surprised if his next job was in League One though.

There is absolutely zero chance of this happening.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Lee Cattermole is no bastion of football professionalism and so is hardly a reliable character reference. That Sunderland side has seen off 5 managers now due to their toxic attitude. Poyet did at least manage to get them to their first Wembley final in over 20 years in his short time on Wearside and kept them up against the odds. His only mistake was to not learn from their survival against the odds when they started playing positive football when circumstances forced them to and reverted to caution the following season. All that said, Sunderland's run far deeper than the failings of any manager as has been shown by their turnover of managers in the last 5 years.

Poyet got Brighton promoted and then managed 2 top 10 finishes including a play-off appearance before his acrimonious departure. Obviously, it would have been brilliant if Brighton had managed to go all the way to the Premier League but it hardly constitutes major failure. Brighton progressed a long way during his tenure and he played a huge part in that progress. As such, people making churlish remarks saying that he would be just about cut out to manage Crawley are being ridiculous. Poyet is perfectly capable of managing in the Championship and that should be the level where he looks to take his next job at. His credentials and experience are better than several managers already operating at that level, but he just needs to choose the right club and be more emotionally intelligent in how he goes about his job.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7118051 said:
Gus had a great opportunity here and blew it, simple as that.
Poyet joined when the club was on a huge crest of a wave and going places...He had a very good budget indeed.
Sadly his football was 85% boring with no plan B....You could fall asleep most of the time it was so predictable and dire.
1st season done well indeed...league 1
2nd season super....league 1
3rd season....boring and lucky to finish 10th
4th season...Can't argue with 4th,but underachieved with the squad ?YES

Was glad to see the back of him that's for sure...Never liked the bloke and never will.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Poyet joined when the club was on a huge crest of a wave and going places...He had a very good budget indeed.
Sadly his football was 85% boring with no plan B....You could fall asleep most of the time it was so predictable and dire.
1st season done well indeed...league 1
2nd season super....league 1
3rd season....boring and lucky to finish 10th
4th season...Can't argue with 4th,but underachieved with the squad ?YES

Was glad to see the back of him that's for sure...Never liked the bloke and never will.

Poyet joined when Slade was sacked and in the relegation zone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still surprised at the number of fans who still think Poyet's blatant touting was not totally disrespectful to THEIR club! How needy must you be to be able to accept that from your manager? Chris Hughton may be just as ambitious as Poyet but I have not heard him utter a single sentence about wanting to join another club.

Poyet had plenty of very good traits and abilities but the touting was too much to ignore IMO. Good riddance

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poyet joined when Slade was sacked and in the relegation zone.

Any half decent manager would have got us to safety with the players at his disposal when he arrived. He was then very well backed by Bloom. He was not the Messiah just a pretty good manager with a style of football that shook up the division. It was not as successful once we got the the Championship, coupled with Poyet's inherent defence first philosophy though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Any half decent manager would have got us to safety with the players at his disposal when he arrived. He was then very well backed by Bloom. He was not the Messiah just a pretty good manager with a style of football that shook up the division. It was not as successful once we got the the Championship, coupled with Poyet's inherent defence first philosophy though.

Saying he wasn't as successful in the Championship is disingenuous. We had a top ten finish in the first year and play offs in the second year. We were his first managerial position.

Fans talking of loyalty make me chuckle. Only the fans are loyal, to managers and players it is a job. You cannot tell me, that if you were offered three times your salary for doing the same job, you wouldn't take it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here