Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm sorry, but a building site 5 miles away does not provide momentum on a football pitch. ESPECIALLY at bloody Withdean.

Of course it doesn't. I think we're dealing with a Mr Burns Mk 2 here - utterly impervious to some obvious facts that the person that they're determined to vilify wasn't quite as bad as they make out. And for that reason, I'm out.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm sorry, but a building site 5 miles away does not provide momentum on a football pitch. ESPECIALLY at bloody Withdean.
And its not like Bloom threw millions at the squad that season either. We were still getting Holroyds in.

It wasn't just a building site was it? >21,000 season tickets bought and a massive change in how people looked at the club. No longer the poorest kid in school with its ass hanging out of its trousers. Players were starting to consider joining us, some of that down to Gus, some because The Amex looked a little nicer than Withdean to work in.

The Amex nearing completion had little or no influence on momentum building at the club? It attracted your hero to the club didn't it? Poyet joining The Albion with no end in sight to playing at Withdean would never have happened.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it must be pointed out that TB backed him to the hilt and as a result seems to have cut back over the past couple of seasons. How much he backs CH in January remains to be seen but he has backed him so far.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Of course it doesn't. I think we're dealing with a Mr Burns Mk 2 here - utterly impervious to some obvious facts that the person that they're determined to vilify wasn't quite as bad as they make out. And for that reason, I'm out.

I wonder whether in the coming years you will be saying - that PB certainly sorted it all out off the pitch. He wasn't such a bad old cove.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's HEWTON! For goodness sake!

oh look its Mr Cheerful
img-thing.jpg

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That's a bit harsh given that he came within a hissy fit of doing just that!!

Not scoring in 180 mins is as poor as it gets, but that's what happens if you only teach your team to play for a draw and hope to sneak a win.

He had 3 1/2 years with us and when it came to the crunch he didn't get anything special out of his team, and in fact let them all down when he asked to leave and threw all their futures with the club into doubt, not just his.

What makes him a legend in some people's eyes is only down to his winning promotion coinciding with the move to the Amex. Even then we struggled for points at the end of that League 1 season. Take away the move into the Amex and his tenure wouldn't have seemed like a fairytale.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It wasn't just a building site was it? >21,000 season tickets bought and a massive change in how people looked at the club. No longer the poorest kid in school with its ass hanging out of its trousers. Players were starting to consider joining us, some of that down to Gus, some because The Amex looked a little nicer than Withdean to work in.

The Amex nearing completion had little or no influence on momentum building at the club? It attracted your hero to the club didn't it? Poyet joining The Albion with no end in sight to playing at Withdean would never have happened.

You're completely ignoring his first 18 months before the Amex, when he rescued us from the relegation zone and then set about building his squad which got us promoted. For some people, bringing in Calderon is the best thing that he ever did.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not scoring in 180 mins is as poor as it gets, but that's what happens if you only teach your team to play for a draw and hope to sneak a win.

He had 3 1/2 years with us and when it came to the crunch he didn't get anything special out of his team, and in fact let them all down when he asked to leave and threw all their futures with the club into doubt, not just his.

What makes him a legend in some people's eyes is only down to his winning promotion coinciding with the move to the Amex. Even then we struggled for points at the end of that League 1 season. Take away the move into the Amex and his tenure wouldn't have seemed like a fairytale.

Struggled for points? It was a RECORD tally of 95 points having been at the top of the table for 28 weeks. We won the division with four games to spare. It was no wonder the players relaxed.

This is the reason that the more reasonable fans stand up for him, because the detractors make ridiculous statements just to justify their bitterness.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Poyet was the driving force in (a) keeping us up and (b) mullering the division the following year. I've never said he was the ONLY factor in that, but because he went schizo on us in the end, his role seems to have been reduced to something of a bit-part by some on here, with an assumption that pretty much anyone would've taken us up that year. Which is frankly bobbins.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We won League One and people use the points margin we won by as a CRITICISM :lolol:

A points margin over a team including the following players:
Rickie Lambert
Jose Fonte
Adam Lallana
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Jason Puncheon
Morgan Schneiderlin

Seriously, I can accept critisim of Gus.....but please try harder than that :lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Well done, resorting to insults then 'I'm out'. Impervious to some obvious facts? Of course your views and opinions are well balanced aren't they? Don't let the door bang your ass on your way out.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

So there was nothing special about Charlton or Peterborough away in 2010-2011, Cardiff away in 2011-2012 or Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley or Blackpool at home in 2012-2013. You and I must obviously have very different definitions of special football. I'm not at all gooey-eyed about him - I think Teddy Maybank made some valid points in his post, but this is someone who gave us our highest finish since 1983 (or 1984; can't remember which).

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Well done, resorting to insults then 'I'm out'. Impervious to some obvious facts? Of course your views and opinions are well balanced aren't they? Don't let the door bang your ass on your way out.

I like this.

Irony 1) You don't like the phrase ("insults") "Burns Mk2" yet you've twice told me to remove my "gus goggles" and put away my "rose tinted paint box"
Irony 2) The man who claims to not think Gus was good or bad has only been targetting positive posts and then claims others aren't "balanced"
Irony 3) Ends with an insult again.

That's a fine effort in just one line of text :lolol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Which apparently completely erases all other achievements prior to that evening. Apparently.
It was good whilst it lasted, but he was a flakey ****er. Gus was the right man at the time, but isn't everything so much more measured and calmer these days. It's quite refreshing. Even Barber seems to have piped down a bit recently.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
And its not like Bloom threw millions at the squad that season either. We were still getting Holroyds in.
Holroyd never played (apart from a couple of sub apps.). The squad that Bloom bankrolled that season was phenomenal in its quality.

Any one of the NSC muppets (assuming a reasonable backroom staff...!) could have managed that squad to the League One title.

Ankergren

Calderon Greer Elphick Painter

Bennett Bridcutt Dicker Lua Lua

Murray Barnes

Subs:

Brezovan, El Abd, Dunk, Kishishev, Sparrow, Noone, Wood

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You're completely ignoring his first 18 months before the Amex, when he rescued us from the relegation zone and then set about building his squad which got us promoted. For some people, bringing in Calderon is the best thing that he ever did.

Of course I'm not ignoring those 18 months but do you truly believe Poyet would have even spoken to the club if The Amex wasn't at the stage it was at?

I am not saying everything Poyet did was bad-far from it. It wasn't all as perfect as you and others want to believe it was either. You and I will never agree when it comes to Poyet. After his shenanigans at the end of his tenure here I dislike the man and it spoiled the good that he did. What amuses me is that many of you seem to think the club's rise was all down to Gus. It wasn't. Everything was falling into place, week by week, fans, chairman, manager, players, the media. And the small matter of a fantatic stadium sold out every week. It was our time. Only it wasn't was it?

Like I said earler, Poyet was not as great as some want to believe-nor is he as shit as others want to have us believe either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Holroyd never played (apart from a couple of sub apps.).

The squad that Bloom bankrolled that season was phenomenal in its quality.

Any one of the NSC muppets (assuming a reasonable backroom staff...!) could have managed that squad to the title.

Ankergren

Calderon Greer Elphick Painter

Bennett Bridcutt Dicker Lua Lua

Murray Barnes

Subs:

Brezovan, El Abd, Dunk, Kishishev, Sparrow, Noone, Wood

Slade was struggling so much we were in the relegation zone. Kishishev, Noone, Barnes, Painter, Calderon, Greer, Ankergren & Brezovan were all Poyet purchases.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I like this.

Irony 1) You don't like the phrase ("insults") "Burns Mk2" yet you've twice told me to remove my "gus goggles" and put away my "rose tinted paint box"
Irony 2) The man who claims to not think Gus was good or bad has only been targetting positive posts and then claims others aren't "balanced"
Irony 3) Ends with an insult again.

That's a fine effort in just one line of text :lolol:

Happy to brighten your day.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Struggled for points? It was a RECORD tally of 95 points having been at the top of the table for 28 weeks. We won the division with four games to spare. It was no wonder the players relaxed.

This is the reason that the more reasonable fans stand up for him, because the detractors make ridiculous statements just to justify their bitterness.

I'm not bitter, just saying it as I see it :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Eddie Howe? He could have, with a tiny stadium to boot. I agree with you Easy but I really think there are better managers than Gus. He will aways be remembered for his transformation of the playing side but everyone new the success would come to an end with him as he would move on to "bigger" projects. His attitude at the end sullied the bro-mance most of had with him and to justify this break up most like to remember the tedious football that was served up on occasions. Would I like to erase the memories of Gus's tenure? No it was an exciting period in our history.

The same Eddie Howe who went to a Burnley side just relegated from the premier league and finished outside the top 6 with a team that were favourites to go back up, then left for 'personal reasons' and went back to bournemouth, leaving Dyche t take Burnley up in his first full season in charge of that team?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here