Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest Striker Since 1960? (Prem/Div 1)

Greatest Striker Since 1960? (Prem/Div 1)

• jimmy greaves

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • geogre best

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • denis law

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • gary lineker

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • ian rush

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • clive allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • andy cole

• alan shearer

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • michael owen

• thierry henry

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • robbie fowler

• ian wright

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
For me it is someone ignored by all. Jamie Carragher. What a poacher and goal scorer he has been for the opposition on numerous occasions.

WHAT A FINISH SON

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sorry, just watch a montage of goals from Best or Greaves then watch one of Bergkamp. His technique is LIGHTYEARS ahead.
Is the poll about who has the best technique to pull off fancy goals in front of goal? No. George best was a better footballer than Bergkamp, Greaves was a better poacher. And yes, I know Bergkamp was great.
You only have to compare Bergkamp's north london club career with Greaves to see that's nonsense.

Bergkamp - 315 apps 87 goals
Greaves - 321 apps 220 goals.
Exactly, how can you see those stats and say Bergkamp was a better striker?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You only have to compare Bergkamp's north london club career with Greaves to see that's nonsense.

Bergkamp - 315 apps 87 goals
Greaves - 321 apps 220 goals.

end of thread.

If we're just going by cold hard stats this would be quite a boring thread, it would just be "find the person with the best goals to games ratio", and the thread would be over within the first 2 posts.

Surely we're talking about the best attacking player allround, no?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is the poll about who has the best technique to pull off fancy goals in front of goal? No. George best was a better footballer than Bergkamp, Greaves was a better poacher. And yes, I know Bergkamp was great.
Exactly, how can you see those stats and say Bergkamp was a better striker?

Why was George Best a better footballer? Can you honestly say if you dropped him into Arsenal's team of a few years ago, or Barcelona, that he'd the same impact? It's very hard to say. But if you just watch videos of each of them, one of them looks quicker, more intelligent, and technically superior.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Imagine Dennis Bergkamp against the COMEDYFENDING of the 60s. He'd score a hattrick every game. Can't compare.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also I think Messi and Ronaldo have to be at least mentioned. They're playing against a better standard of defences a lot of the time and ripping the shit out of them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Dutch were SHIT at football in the 1960s. There's your comparison.

They really were, weren't they? Obviously (as you well know) they're a bit of an exception, as they were EXCEPTIONAL.

Stick the Dennis Bergkamp of a few years ago against your average Division One defence back in the 60s, he would score 2-4 goals per game. He would also look LIGHTNING, as fitness is that much better now.

You CAN'T compare.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought you meant the buck-toothed beachball.

Nah mate. I'm a bit of a sucker for technique, so I love watching Chris Ronaldo, and even allow him his twatty face and attitude, because he's that ruddy good.

That Neymar's not bad either.

UNBELIEVABLE TEKKERS. Someone find me a SINGLE video showing pace, skill, vision and tekkers that good from around the 60s and I will stop my "old football is shit" rantings.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They really were, weren't they? Obviously (as you well know) they're a bit of an exception, as they were EXCEPTIONAL.

Stick the Dennis Bergkamp of a few years ago against your average Division One defence back in the 60s, he would score 2-4 goals per game. He would also look LIGHTNING, as fitness is that much better now.

You CAN'T compare.

You can compare; you have to form an opinion based on the relative progression of football coaching and tactics - both defending and attacking - through the years. For their respective time, Greaves was a better striker than Bergkamp.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we're just going by cold hard stats this would be quite a boring thread, it would just be "find the person with the best goals to games ratio", and the thread would be over within the first 2 posts.

Surely we're talking about the best attacking player allround, no?

If these were just cold hard stats, then I could understand you, but 344 goals in 478 games, come on, these aren't just stats, no one even gets near this, not even remotely close, he was truly outstanding. Top scoring striker in 4 different seasons, astonishing record. Bergkamp was a great player no doubt, but either he is playing in behind Greaves, or he's on the bench, as he's not getting in any team ahead of Greaves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why was George Best a better footballer? Can you honestly say if you dropped him into Arsenal's team of a few years ago, or Barcelona, that he'd the same impact? It's very hard to say.
It is hard to say, there's a lot more footage available of Bergkamp to see how good he was. I'm too young to have seen enough of Best, sometimes you have to take into account what others have said. I think Fergie says that Best was the greatest player he saw, and although I take what he says with a pinch of salt, it's still pretty high praise.
But if you just watch videos of each of them, one of them looks quicker, more intelligent, and technically superior.
It depends which videos you watch.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why was George Best a better footballer? Can you honestly say if you dropped him into Arsenal's team of a few years ago, or Barcelona, that he'd the same impact? It's very hard to say. But if you just watch videos of each of them, one of them looks quicker, more intelligent, and technically superior.

Well, we all have our opinions, no matter how strange. Dennis Bergkamp wasn't even the best striker in his own team, let alone anything else!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If these were just cold hard stats, then I could understand you, but 344 goals in 478 games, come on, these aren't just stats, no one even gets near this, not even remotely close, he was truly outstanding. Top scoring striker in 4 different seasons, astonishing record. Bergkamp was a great player no doubt, but either he is playing in behind Greaves, or he's on the bench, as he's not getting in any team ahead of Greaves.

But then have you seen Ronaldo's stats in Spain? Does that make him better than Greaves? Surely.

2009–

Real Madrid

78 games

83 goals

As I say, that's against a higher standard of defending.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You can compare; you have to form an opinion based on the relative progression of football coaching and tactics - both defending and attacking - through the years. For their respective time, Greaves was a better striker than Bergkamp.

So it's guesswork, basically. You can only go on what you see, no one has any clue how good any strikers from the 60s or 70s would be now. Would they cope with the expected fitness demands made of nowadays strikers?

It's two totally different worlds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here