Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest Striker Since 1960? (Prem/Div 1)

Greatest Striker Since 1960? (Prem/Div 1)

• jimmy greaves

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • geogre best

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • denis law

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • gary lineker

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • ian rush

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • clive allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • andy cole

• alan shearer

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • michael owen

• thierry henry

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • robbie fowler

• ian wright

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Is he seriously a better striker than Thierry Henry though? Henry was the best I've ever seen! I am from the younger generation so haven't seen much footage of Greaves but he'd have to have been seriously good to better Henry!

Although I suppose Henry was more than a poacher... For pure poaching I'd say Van Nistelrooy! Was greaves seriously a better poucher than Ruud?

Bit of a misleading thread title lol. Best striker Henry, best poacher Van Nistelrooy!

It is hard to measure different generations, ball was a lot heavier for a start. Altho I think Greaves was considered best goalscorer in europe if not the world in the early to mid 60s dont think VN was ever both. As for Best, he was a winger back then. But with the kind of ability to be anything in today's football. because he had strength skill in abundance, amazing balance and pace - just all the ability in the world.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Is he seriously a better striker than Thierry Henry though? Henry was the best I've ever seen! I am from the younger generation so haven't seen much footage of Greaves but he'd have to have been seriously good to better Henry!

Although I suppose Henry was more than a poacher...
TBH Mate...I would say yes Greavies was the better goalscorer..but it is a matter of opinions...Jimmy with his 44 goals in 57 appearences Henri 51 goals (one a blantant handball) in 123 appearences...national team only.
Careerwise Jimmy... played 548 games with 382 goals.
Thierry..played 492 games with 248 goals.
The international games above...both great but Greavies edges it for me....England could do with another like him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Greaves was unstoppable if he got the ball from a few yards out, always seemed to find space - fantastic player

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am from the younger generation so haven't seen much footage of Greaves but he'd have to have been seriously good to better Henry!
Are you really questioning whether Greaves was seriously good? You don't need to have seen him, just look at his record.

D

Deleted member 18477

TBH Mate...I would say yes Greavies was the better goalscorer..but it is a matter of opinions...Jimmy with his 44 goals in 57 appearences Henri 51 goals (one a blantant handball) in 123 appearences...national team only.
Careerwise Jimmy... played 548 games with 382 goals.
Thierry..played 492 games with 248 goals.
The international games above...both great but Greavies edges it for me....England could do with another like him.

Yea fair, I can't comment on greaves as I Havent seen much footage. You've seen all the strikers since him so I'll take your word for it! Do wish I was around to see pele, Maradona, best, greaves etc!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's easy to see why some younger fans have difficulty making comparisons between the top bods in the prem and players from the 60s/70s but for the life of me I cannot understand why someone could put Shearer ahead of Henry!!!!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Henry at his peak was unplayable.

There have been a lot of strikers I have enjoyed watching over the years - Shearer, Zola, Bergkamp, Cantona etc but IMO Henry has been the best player in the top division of the last 20 years closely followed by Ronaldo.

Cant comment on players prior to 1990 though.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There are some great names in there (and Clive Allen lol) but where on earth is Dalglish ?.

In fairness, Clive Allen did score 49 goals in one season, which I find an incredible achievement in the modern era, particularly as he played most of it as a loan striker. I agree that there are other much more celebrated names, but none that can match his achievement in a single season while playing for a top flight English club. While not the best all-round player, for his clinical finishing, I think his name does deserve to be up there, even though he played for Palace!

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As a goal poacher, then it's Ian Rush, hands down, for me. You just couldn't give him a sniff .... unless Fozzie was sliding in to clear it off the line, of course!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In fairness, Clive Allen did score 49 goals in one season, which I find an incredible achievement in the modern era, particularly as he played most of it as a loan striker. I agree that there are other much more celebrated names, but none that can match his achievement in a single season while playing for a top flight English club. While not the best all-round player, for his clinical finishing, I think his name does deserve to be up there, even though he played for Palace!

Lone striker, I mean, not loan!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Dennis Bergkamp, end of thread.

I'm sorry, just watch a montage of goals from Best or Greaves then watch one of Bergkamp. His technique is LIGHTYEARS ahead.

I know, I know, different fitness, pitches, balls etc, but you can only compare on what you can see, it's impossible to "upgrade" older players by guessing at how they would play now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here