Grammar and punctuation test.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
an nose?

an nectarine?

an knowledgeable NSC user?

All are WRONG, even if it's how you SAY them.

The above examples are all incorrect (as you have said). Different rules apply to abbrevations.

Using a or an before an abbreviation

There are two schools of thought on this subject: "vocalisation of the abbreviation" and "vocalisation of the first word".

Abbreviation verbalised

By this rule, if the abbreviation starts with a vowel-sounding letter, the article used is "an"; if it starts with a consonant-sounding letter, it takes an "a". This would give "an NHS hospital" and "a BBC documentary".

vowel-sounding letters (take "an"):A E F H I L M N O R S X

consonant-sounding letters (take "a"):B C D G J K P Q T U V W Y Z

Note: H is pronounced "aitch"!

Word verbalised

By this method, the first letter of the first word as it is read out determines whether "a" or "an" is used. Here we would have "a NHS hospital" ("a National Health Service hospital"), or "an UV lamp" ("an ultraviolet lamp").

The second method can look and read quite awkwardly but is just about acceptable as long as the style is used consistently, or where abbreviations are commonly fleshed out in the head and in speech. Since the first method reads more naturally in the head, it's easy to slip into it when the second style is supposedly being observed. The first method is by far the more popular.

Acronyms

An acronym is an abbreviation that is read out like a word, such as NASA, OPEC, NATO, etc. So here we would always have "a NASA spacecraft", etc.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
an nose?

an nectarine?

an knowledgeable NSC user?

All are WRONG, even if it's how you SAY them.

As [MENTION=22906]GingerBeerMan[/MENTION] helpfully pointed out earlier, it's about the sound, not the letter. Therefore, it's a nose but an NSC user. As NSC is pronounced en-es-see.

Lush

Mods' Pet
As [MENTION=22906]GingerBeerMan[/MENTION] helpfully pointed out earlier, it's about the sound, not the letter. Therefore, it's a nose but an NSC user. As NSC is pronounced en-es-see.

But you can have 'a NSC user' if you follow the 'word verbalised' method as mentioned by [MENTION=22043]SeagullSongs[/MENTION] above.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
But you can have 'a NSC user' if you follow the 'word verbalised' method as mentioned by [MENTION=22043]SeagullSongs[/MENTION] above.

True but the word verbalised method doesn't scan correctly. I'm sure the vast majority of newspapers and magazines would go with 'an.'

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
True but the word verbalised method doesn't scan correctly. I'm sure the vast majority of newspapers and magazines would go with 'an.'

For reading, no, but when it is read out, the use of 'a' or 'an' depends entirely whether the abbreviation is said as "en-ess-see" or "North Stand Chat".

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
For reading, no, but when it is read out, the use of 'a' or 'an' depends entirely whether the abbreviation is said as "en-ess-see" or "North Stand Chat".

As you posted above: The second method can look and read quite awkwardly but is just about acceptable as long as the style is used consistently, or where abbreviations are commonly fleshed out in the head and in speech. Since the first method reads more naturally in the head, it's easy to slip into it when the second style is supposedly being observed. The first method is by far the more popular.

As a rule, it's best to go with 'an.'

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
And it certainly helps to have a solid foundation of English grammar rules if you want to learn a foreign language.

Other way around. Learning a foreign language helps with English grammar rules! I went to a grammar school 45 years ago, got English Language O-level and didn't learn half that stuff, except in the Latin lessons.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Other way around. Learning a foreign language helps with English grammar rules! I went to a grammar school 45 years ago, got English Language O-level and didn't learn half that stuff, except in the Latin lessons.

This! I probably wouldn't know what an infinitive was if I hadn't been taught it in French lessons.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
12 for me. My son has been doing grammatical terminology recently - Grade 7 and 8 (ages 12 and 13). I have to say that it does not serve a huge purpose, but am surprised that the Brits are not teaching it. Yesterday, his homework question was "what is the difference between jargon, slang and neologisms".

The difference is that I've never heard of a neologism.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
But wouldn't it have been easier to understand French grammar if you already new the rules and terminology for English grammar?

Possiblement.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Neither had I! Apparently it is a new word that becomes commonly used, or a different meaning for an old word - like cool or wicked. Quite why you need to know the difference is a mystery.

That's sick.

Dec 29, 2011
Neither had I! Apparently it is a new word that becomes commonly used, or a different meaning for an old word - like cool or wicked. Quite why you need to know the difference is a mystery.

So what's the difference between slang and neologism? Things like "swag" are both?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here